Droid Incredible hits EOL from Verizon, post your favorite memories

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Blog post

The DInc will forever be special to me for being my first Android device and launching me into the freelance writing job I currently hold here at Android Central. I had pre-ordered the DInc online after reading Phil's (and others) glowing reviews of the phone and got it on launch day... it felt great to be one of the first people in the US to get their hands on it. Also, I have been taking my CS major in the direction of mobile app development, so it may well be responsible for a future full-time career.

DInc, you shall be missed (but you won't be replaced by me anytime soon)

Last edited:

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
My favorite memory was rooting her for the first time waaaaay back in july and flashing skyraider 2.5 vanilla. I went nuts custom kernels and mods my god I must have rebooted her 100 times one week from all the flashing and trying different stuff out. I walked into a verizon store on launch day and was sold one. I was so stoked to get rid of my storm 1 that I had for 2 years. (Nightmare 2 years) and I got a free case because it was 8:55 when I walked in the guy forgot to ring up the 25$ silicon case lol. But yeah I've had some awesome times with this phone. Waiting for froyo. Rooting for the first time. All the photos and HD video I've taken pheww lol I love you dinc

menji

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I never had the pleasure of actually having a Dinc, but I do credit the phone for getting me hooked on android. I spent the better part of a weekend setting up the phone for my gf when she first got it. She is not tech savvy at all. At the time, I had a blackberry bold, and actually experiencing Android first hand made me see that there was something else outside of blackberry that I could enjoy. that weekend I took a crash course in Android, thanks to the Android Central, i was able to set up the Dinc. made me wish i had one. i held out until i got my upgrade, and now I'm a happy owner of a ThunderBolt.

That being said, Thank you Dinc, for opening the door to Android for me.

yomonk1

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Still loving my Dinc, but wondering....what happens in this case for warranty replacement? Do you still get a refurb DInc or can you pay premium for a more current replacement?

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I walked into vzw on launch day telling myself I would only port over from T-Mobile if they had any left and they did!! Terminated my contract early and left my bb 8900... and it was all worth it! :)

Gorilla

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Heres my story... Shortly after it launched, i picked one up, and loved it. Returned it after 30 days for a blackberry bold.... used the bold for 9 months, then decided to pick up another DINC off the forums... I really do love this phone. Such a good one... Wish they would stick 4G into the Dinc2... Ill probably wait a few months then pick up the dinc 2 off the forums..

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Man, this is hard for me. I have own my fair share of phones. But the Droid Incredible is the only phone I have actually had an emotional connection to. Let me explain.

As my contract originally was to expire last July, I was in the process of looking for a new phone and was really looking into getting the Nexus One on Verizon. I was crushed after the phone was cancelled on Big Red, but I kept an eye out on this new phone with the red battery door called the Incredible. Goofy name for a phone, I thought, because it had better be incredible or else. As the weeks came down and more info was leaked, I became a fan of this very website, drinking in all the info I could about the phone and Android. May 4th came, the day Verizon shipped my phone to me. I grabbed the phone and ran to the nearest Verizon store to get it activated. Goodbye Motorola Krave ZN4, hello Android goodness! And I never looked back, for you see, not only is this my 1st Android, it's my 1st smartphone.

ghess517

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have stood I a Verizon store and sold more of this phone than the people working there. Loved walking in there saying "watch this" . I work in an auto parts store and a guy drives up in a 1929 Ford wanting parts, gimme a second - I can find it. Flying from the east coast, Georgia, into Oakland, Ca. Telling the rental car person, "no, I don't need the $95 GPS, I have an incredible. This is my first Android, and won't be the last.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Gorilla. I know it sounds silly to have an emotional bond with a piece of electronic equipment, but I never knew that having a phone that could do so much and streamline everything so effortlessly could be so impactful. The day I got the phone, I was playing with all the widgets and the functions on the bus home coming back from the Verizon store. The 1st day I used the phone I only got 6 hours of life before the battery said "Lata!", thinking to myself that (if the battery died after that amount of time then this thing is a beast!), but after coming to the site and educating myself on what I did and didn't do right, I was able to get 18-20 hours of life out of the thing. It is amazing. And that is a fond memory. Today, if I got 6 hours out of my phone, I would lose my mind!

Last edited:

jorian85

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
My Dinc has never ran as good as it does right now with cm7(not that it ever ran bad). came from a rooted og droid and I rooted it the day I got it. Love this phone and when the bionic or whatever dual core phone comes out then it will be time to upgrade.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I remember calling what seemed like every Verizon store in SoCal and they were sold out EVERYWHERE! I tried Best Buys, Mall Kiosks and any place I saw a Verizon logo! Even The Internet was sold out of this phone! I finally found one at this Verizon dealers store that I drive by at least once a week and never thought to check.. he told me he'd have more the next day! When I called back he had 3 of them so I drove to the shop and got one without hesitation. I talked with the owner while setting up and activating it and he was telling me how insane this phone was and how hard it was to keep it in stock, he'd get more and before he could put them on the shelf they'd be sold!
The energy the Droid Incredible generated during its launch and "life" on the market has been intense and I am glad to have been a part of a legacy that took what was started by the OG Droid and set a new standard for what Droid Does! From getting the phone, waiting in anticipation with many of you here in the forums for Froyo! to rooting and flashing my first ROM through my current CM7, it has been a experience! Though the phone may not be sold at stores anymore, it will go down in history as one of the most influential and standard setting phones of all times! So say we all!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got caught up in the "great dinc shortage of 2010".I joined AC when I ordered it(june 2,2010 an online order) had many post in the waiting room thread for the dinc.Finally got it July 2,2010 a day which will live forever.Rooted in Dec.2010.
Still have no plans to retire it anytime soon,its a classic :)

sent using TaPaTaLk

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My Dinc does everything right.
I wish the Dinc2 had 4g but I don't mind.
I finally rooted and love it more.

After all my battery issues and going through half a dozen replacements in June, I have loved every minute and don't feel that my device is outdated in the slightest.

That may be it's legacy in that it was a device (outside of the original droid) that brought people to android.

I don't want a bigger screen!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I got mine in June during the height of the shortage. I was watching a movie late on Friday night and accidently sent my Treo for a swim in my beverage.

There was a grand opening of a new Corporate VZW store nearby so I went there on Sat AM. Spent almost 2 hours playing with the OG Droid, a bunch of WinMo phones, since that is what the Treo had been, and then I found the DInc. Five minutes later, I told the guy to wrap it up.

He went into the back and said they only had one and that they were holding it for a guy who had called the day before. Then he went to talk to his manager and said - it's yours.

About a day later, I found this site and realized how lucky I had been!

A few months later my wife was so jealous, I had to buy another!

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I got my DInc in August after ordering it in July and waiting anxiously. Usually that leads to disappointment as what your waiting for doesn't live up to expectations. This did. I was a Windows Mobile user for years and always said you can take my WINMOB phone when you pry it from my dead hands. This thing rocks and crushes anything else I have had and totally lives up to expectations. It does everything I want it to and more.

work4crown

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Droid Incredible

I got my Droid Incredible in November 2010. They had a buy one get one deal so really I got two of them. At first I talked with my wife and asked her if she wanted the second Dinc. She said she was happy with her Motorola Q9C that had Winmo 6.1. I didn't activate the second phone because she wanted to keep using the Q9C.

However, I did get past the activation screen and set up that second Dinc for her. I set up her gmail account, facebook account, loaded Angry Birds, set up the home screen to be like mine was. For 2.5 months she became obsessed with Angry birds. She didn't want to know about email, facebook, the internet....ANYTHING....for 2.5 months. She just played Angry Birds during her spare MOMents when she wasn't taking care of the baby. Also, she played Angry Birds while she was taking care of the baby. And eating. I think she may have figured out a way to play it while sleeping.

One day she told me her Q9C was acting funny and asked me to fix it. The keyboard was messed up and when you tried to type on it it would immediately backspace and erase what you had typed. I rolled my eyes and set out to fix it; knowing in my heart this was ridiculous since she was holding a mega-awesome phone that was 50 million times better in her hand! It turns out that I could not find a quick remedy for the problem and I was facing doing a hard reset on the Q9C and then setting everything back up.

I begged her to give the Dinc a chance as a daily driver phone. I demonstrated how easily she could surf the web with pinch zoom to look up recipes. I showed her the Facebook widget. She was really nervous about the Dinc not having a keyboard so I loaded Slideit keyboard and gave her a demo. She finally relented and said she's give it a chance. Within a day the Q9C was history!

She still loves her "new" phone and still loves Angry birds.

One morning she was struggling to wake me up for work. I heard a realistic bird call and felt something thud against my side. I awoke to find a dirty diaper had been thrown at me and my wife was standing there with this grin on her face. She explained her actions with these words, "Angry Birds".

I have absolutely LOVED the Droid Incredible and I think I have become a Droid-Evangelist. I am still amazed after almost 6 months the phone hasn't become just a phone. It is still amazing and always brings a smile to my face. I am constantly in awe of this thing. One thing I do miss from my Winmo days is a program called "Cash Organizer". I seriously wish they would port that to Android.

Thanks Dinc for all the laughs. You rock.:D

Last edited:

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my incredible since this past Christmas, but it will forever be special to me because not only was it my very first Android device, but it was my first smartphone of any kind. Up until then I was using a prepaied clam shell phone. But my brother had bought an Incredible earlier that month, and much to my surprise he gave me one that Christmas. I soon fell in love with my new phone, and within a couple months I had rooted and flashed my first ROM, CM7 RC1. I switched to nightly 121 due to some battery and wifi issues I had with RC1, and when those problems persisted with nightly 11 I almost gave up on custom ROM's. But now I'm using CM7 Nightly 26 paired with Incredikernel and have seen a definite improvement. I'll probable stick with the Dink for the remainder of my current contract. Newer and "better" phones may come along in that time I'm sure, and by the time my contract runs out next year the Dinc may be woefully behind all the latest phones, but I love my Dinc and now that I'm rocking CM7 I see no reason to get a new phone.

Thanks for everything, Droid Incredible. You're, well, incredible.

oldslick

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Has lived up to it's name

Had been considering getting a smart phone for a while. Researched many different models, including WP7 phones. Then back in November found the Incredible and several Motorola Droids on sale for $0 on a 2-yr deal. The 8 mp camera and display convinced me to go with the Incredible and haven't looked back since. This phone has exceeded my expectations in so many ways I can't count them all. Sure a larger screen and a little better battery life would be nice but I really can't complain. I haven't felt the need to root it, it performs for me just fine. The Incredible has made an android believer out of me. I can't imagine what kind of devices will be available when it's time to upgrade but it will be fun choosing. For now, the Incredible has been just that - incredible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac