USB Ethernet dongle

Jeepzor

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm an electrician in a lumber mill and one of my jobs in the setup and maintenance of our IP cameras. Currently before plugging them into the network we use a laptop to do all the setup and focusing at the location the plug it into the network and finish it all back in the shop. I've come across software in the Android Market that allows IP camera viewing and whatnot but since our camera network is its own physical network and doesn't have WiFi I can't use my incredible to access any of the cameras.

What I'm looking to do is use one of those USB ethernet dongles and plug it into my incredible in hopes of getting into our Camera network and do all the setup without having the bring out a laptop or anything. All this said I haven't tried it yet since I heard somewhere that the android code doesn't have drivers for any ethernet use.

Anyone know anything about this?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You will not be able to use a usb/ethernet dongle for network on the DInc. You are correct; there are no drivers to support it.

Your easiest solution is use a Linksys WAP54g access point. You can configure it as a AP, Wireless Client or Bridge. If you set it up as a client and then connect to the phones wi-fi hotspot you should be able to access the camera through the browser.

On second thought, it may not be an easy solution but it should work.

Jeepzor

May 7, 2010
Visit site
yea I have thought about that in the past but the mill stretches well beyond the max range of any single wireless access point, I'd have to install quite a few and if I couldn't find drives for the dongle I'll just stick with the laptop.

Just figured it would be uber awesome to be able to do all that with my phone :)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It was worth a shot. If you're looking for long Range wireless gear check out Ubiquity Nano Station 2. I use them for long range work all the time. They run about $100 each and are real reliable.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Also wanted to add, go for the wireless N if you by chance get a wireless router. It's (finally) the new standard as you probably know.

One idea I had is if the camera's are on the internet and they can be view remotely via any web browser on any computer, I guess you could always look at them on your HTC Incredible via the browser on 3g. Typically you type in the IP address in your browser and then log in with a user name and password.

Same thing should be capable with the incredible.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Why not just use a VNC program over 3G to access the main computer back in the office? They are all over the market, all you would need to know is the IP, or you can use LogMEIn from the market and not need to know IPs, bit pricey but well worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2