Automatic Update messed up my phone!!!!

fig95

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Help! I turned on my phone tonight and set it down while it booted up. When I checked back it said there was a new update. It did not give me a choice to install....

Now half my apps are gone! What is going on? Help??????

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people are reporting these false updates. I wonder what the deal with them is...

There are no updates pushing right now. This shouldn't have happened.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
There have been no new updates pushed out for a while now. Are you running Stock? Are you rooted? Did you install any new apps in the last day or so? We need a little more information in order to provide assistance.

fig95

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys! I am running stock, not rooted, and did not install anything new. I do use LquncherPro but have had no problem with it.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Were you prompted to install an update? Do you remember what it said? Under Menu -> Settings -> About Phone what is the Android version you see there?

theaxeman

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The same thing happenedto me this evening. Lost many apps and many will not work now.

Android version now is 2.2. Was there an update applied?

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you have 2.2 before the update? There are no updates going out at this time. I had to uninstall and reinstall a few apps when I did get 2.2.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The last update that was pushed out was November 2010. If I remember correctly AC said Ginger Bread wont be pushed out until the summer.

What update are you all talking about? The window for the November 2010 update should of been closed a LONG time ago. I think the only way to get updated now, is to go down to a Verizon store and get it that way.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I had a friend that had the same problem. Unfortunately, I think your phone is toast. Her phone started randomly rebooting.

fig95

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I got 2.2 when it came out in NOvember. Here is the information from my phone...

Android Version

BAseband Version

Kernal Version
2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16
htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149 #1

Build Number
3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys

Software Number

Help!!!!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you might need to do a factory reset.

Before you do. Go to People -> Menu -> Import/Export -> Export to SD Card to back up your contacts. (If you use gmail for your contacts, there is no need for this) Then connect to your computer as a disk drive and 3 drives will appear. One will be for the SD card, one will be for the internal storage and one will be VZ crapware CDRom. Do not install the crapware from the virtual CDRom. Look through the other 2 drives and copy off pictures and any other info you can get to your computer.

Then do a factory reset.

If you can get to it - go to Menu -> Settings -> SD & phone storage -> Factory data reset

It will erase all data from your phone so be sure you have contacts, and data backed up.

If you can't do that then shut the phone down, power on while holding the power and down volume buttons. This will take you to HBOOT. Let it do its thing and you will see a phone with a red triangle and a !. Then press vol down, power and the optical button at the same time. (if that does not work hit the up volume button instead)

This will bring you to a menu with options of Reboot, Apply sd card update.zip, Wipe Data/factory reset and wipe cache partition.

Use the Volume down key to get to wipe data/factory reset then hit the power button. This will wipe the system to factory fresh (you will not lose your OTA updates but you will lose apps and data).

When it's done select reboot and hit the power button. You will have to re-login to your gmail account and re-set up your phone, but the data on your SD card will be fine and you can reload your contacts from the backup or gmail will do it automatically. Any apps you purchased will be available in the market under my apps. Any free apps will have to be reloaded from your memory.

Good luck – hope this helps. Post back if you have any more questions.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Only updates that should be available are on applications. I never have issues when I am prompted about these updates. I also have never had an update start automatically without my directing it to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22