Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

2 Posts
    Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

Default Too many apps = sluggish phone?

If you have a ton of apps installed, does that normally lead to a sluggish phone? Thanks to Amazon and their daily free app, I currently have over 100 installed. And for the last month or so, my Incredible has been a little sluggish (sometimes the notification bar is a little unresponsive, occasional lag when typing a text, etc).

A few things I should point out:
    • Most of my apps are installed on the SD card
    • I'm not short of space -- both the internal memory and the SD card are less than half full
    • I use a Task Killer widget. Not obsessively, but usually every few hours.

But despite those caveats, is a long app list still a "phone killer"?

P.S. -- I posted this same question on another Android forum, so for a few of you this question might seem like a repeat.

11 Posts
    Cm9, stock

Just installing apps should not make your phone sluggish. There must be some app that you installed which is buggy - it might be running a background service that is taking up resources.

Just the other day something similar happened to me. I went on manually stopping the apps (Settings->Applications I think) one by one until the phone was faster and found that DoggCatcher app and DoubleTwist service were the ones that were taking resources. After I stopped them the phone came back to normal.

Try it out.

4,261 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts

And remove Task Killer - it's probably killing system tasks that are auto-restarting.

Default Amazon Appstore Tip

Although this does not answer your question, here's what I do to avoid hundreds of installed apps. When I see an "interesting" free app on Amazon, I "Get App", however, when it finishes downloading I cancel out of the installation. This way I get the app for free and I can try it out whenever I am ready to because it will add it to your apps and the "Install" option will become available.
    CORYK333 likes this.

Try clearing cache. That may fix your problem.

315 Posts
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    JellyWiz RLS13

+1 for clearing cache. More likely a lot of text messages, twitter, news, email and such is slowing you down. +1 for getting rid of task killer. I have 122 apps installed and have never used a task killer. My phone runs like buttah.

clear cache on all apps, move all to SD card, and dont use any task killers. The OS knows how to take care of itself.