1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Your opinions please!

I have had my Dinc since day one, never had a problem with the phone, it has been perfect. Today I put a new battery in and when it restarted in had the wrong time, the mobile data has turned off and on, unable to connect to exchange, Gmail, and receiving a low on space error. I have not downloaded any new apps and really have not made any changes. I called tech support and he did his basic fixit items and said that I was out of warranty but because I am so close to my one year date he would get me a replacement phone. My question is this, do I take Verizon up on the offer for a new phone? Do I finally root my phone, and if so would this fix my issue? Do I just do a factory reset??? I really like my phone set up and would rather not have to reset everything, I really don't want the AMOLED screen ( should I worry about this ) and would like an opinion from anyone out there that might have experienced this.
    Thanks all.

ROM
    Stock/ ICS Rooted

A factory reset would be my first attempt to fix the issues. If that doesn't work and they will give you a new one I would take them up on the offer. I have the Amoled screen and it is in my opinion better than the Super LCD. Much crisper and colors pop. A few co workers have the Super LCD and they are envious. The only thing you'd have to worry about would be using the phone in direct sunlight which I find silly as why would one be using their phone in direct sunlight. It is such a great phone and if you're thinking about something new why not wait till the dual core HTCs come out for Verizon.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

What happens when you put the old battery back in - same problems?

When you say "new battery" do mean a really new out of the box battery or another battery you have been using for a while?

Just trying to isolate if it's a battery problem or a software issue.

When you put the new battery did you turn the phone off before swaping or did you just pull while it was running?

Have you rebooted the phone?

Sorry to hit you with a barage of questions, just trying to quickly isolate the problem.

Let us know.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have several batteries and usually get about 12 hours per, today with the issues I used a battery in about 6 hours, phone died, put in a new battery, restarted..still same issues. I got home and on wi-fi I have downloaded my mail but still have the "low on Space-Application data space is low. When you click on this it takes me to Manage Applications -All.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Clear cache out of any app that will let you clear cache - I know it's a pain, but it will free up space. You can clear the cache in manage applications -> all by selecting each and hitting the cleare cache button.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Done. Have cleared cache and restarted phone, still have low space issue. I have cleaned off all photo's and anything else not needed from internal memory, shows I have 78% available on internal and 22% available on SD. No way I have a low space issue. Is this just the default error message when the phone has an issue?
    Last edited by blastncast; 05-05-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

When I had the "data space low" message I finally ended up doing factory reset..it solved the problem..just sacrificed some time..my backed up contacts and custom ringtones were recovered..however I had to reauto program the phone into Verizons network, reinstalled my apps but made sure they were installed on the SD card..reset up the WIFI connection..no problems so far and its been 2 months ..I never contacted Verizons tech support..
    == Samsung Galaxy Nexus ==
    ==Samsung Galaxy S4 ==

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz RLS13

I wouldn't normally recommend this, but since you asked... you could root your phone and install ROM Manager and use the "fix permissions" function. Any time my phone starts acting weird I run that and it fixes the issue.

Question - how many text messages do you have on your phone? You might try clearing some of those and/or emails.

ROM
    RunnyMik/stock

Quote Originally Posted by blastncast View Post
    I have had my Dinc since day one, never had a problem with the phone, it has been perfect. Today I put a new battery in and when it restarted in had the wrong time, the mobile data has turned off and on, unable to connect to exchange, Gmail, and receiving a low on space error. I have not downloaded any new apps and really have not made any changes. I called tech support and he did his basic fixit items and said that I was out of warranty but because I am so close to my one year date he would get me a replacement phone. My question is this, do I take Verizon up on the offer for a new phone? Do I finally root my phone, and if so would this fix my issue? Do I just do a factory reset??? I really like my phone set up and would rather not have to reset everything, I really don't want the AMOLED screen ( should I worry about this ) and would like an opinion from anyone out there that might have experienced this.
    Thanks all.
    Well if they are ready to offer you a new phone and a whinny new two year contract I would say if you have interest in rooting and running custom ROMs then go for it. If you just want to root and the flash the official released version you could do that too. At worse you completely brick it, which is nearly impossible to do anyway, and you upgrade to something whinny and new. I never experienced the memory issues on my Inc luckily and now I am running an ASOP gingerbread build and loving it so take a deep breath download the root and reflash stuff and give it a go.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quick update for those that care..I still can't explain the incorrect time and mobile data issues I had yesterday but those are gone today. I did figure out the low application space issue, rookie mistake. Looking for an email in one of my exchange folders and as I have settings to keep email for 14 days it wasn't there, I changed settings to all and it tried to download thousands of emails. Once I figured this out and changed settings back to 14 days and deleted some old emails the low application warning is gone. Phone working correctly now.

Glad to hear it. I have the same phone and love it. But never had the problem you were. I have two batteries and always switch them. Nothing changes. But am glad you could get it taken care of.

Update for those awaiting the Bionic: I was in a Verizon store last week and the rep told me the Bionic was placed on hold indefinitely and maybe even scrapped because the dual core processer was frying the phone.

The low on space message means low in space in the data/data folder. It can only hold 150 megs of data. This is where applications store some of its data. When you get the low space error clear the cache from your programs, uninstall unused programs and so forth. At worse you may have to delete the data from some programs to clear this data. If you are not rooted you have no way to know if you are close to the 150 meg limit until you get the low on space error. If you are rooted you can use root explorer to monitor this folder.