1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down Ugh, what should I do? Loose charging port.

I bought a used Incredible on Craigslist yesterday, works great, looks great, etc, etc. Only problem is that it has a very loose charging port, and I only noticed it when I was trying to lay in bed and text. Upon investigation I noticed that it is SUPER loose. I didn't have insurance with my Blackberry and since I bought the Incredible 3rd party I know Verizon won't cover it.

I called the only cell phone repair shop around where I live and they want $65-80 to fix the phone and they will have it for a MONTH and only offer "low-end" replacement phones. I COULD use my Blackberry in the meantime but even still, $65-80 seems pretty steep to fix a charging port. I don't even know if it's worth it.

Is this problem going to get worse? Should I just bite the bullet and get this fixed now? I'm beginning to think it's not even worth it now.

Also-Is there any way I can jimmy-rig this and fix it myself?

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Unfortunately, it will get worse. Most likely, the solder joints holding the USB port in place have cracked/broken and the port needs to be re-soldered or worse, de-soldered, replaced and re-soldered. It’s not a job you want rushed or botched.

Price sounds about right.

I see this with laptop power jacks all the time. Similar problem, the weakest link is one of the most important parts.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Thanked by:
    cerob 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'm willing to put so much money into the phone yet, but I bought a desk battery charger for use while I'm in limbo. If all else fails I can go back to my Blackberry for the month while the shop has it. The damned battery dies on my Incredible SO fast that I'm not even sure it's worth the hassle of constantly worrying if I'll have a place to charge my phone!

ROM
    Stock/ ICS Rooted

What about getting insurance from Verizon for it. Wait a few weeks and then they will fix it or replace it.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Insurance will have a $50 or $80 deductabile. I forget which off the top of my head, but I remember it went up recently. So cost wize it would be a wash.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

I have also noticed last week, that my DInc (had it since launch day) would only charge when I had it laying a certain way. The port seemed fine.. maybe a LITTLE loose... but Then it wouldn't charge at all, and I started to panic. Then I noticed that the charger I use in my bedroom for the phone was actually what was loose in the port. When I use any of my other chargers (at work, or in another room) I get that nice, solid connection feeling (like a snap) when I plug it in... Are you sure the port is what's loose? Maybe try another charger first if you have one, at least should buy you a little time...
    IG: Damion95 / Xbox: Himm again
    My page: Hate bad parking? Come share your pics!
    www.facebook.com/PoorlyParked