Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Default What the hell just happened to my phone?!

Due to the terrible battery life of the Incredible, I bought a second battery. Earlier today I needed to switch batteries. I did so by powering down, switching batteries and powering back up (as I always do). However, when I restarted I found that the phone isn't recognizing my SD card and half of my applications (including those which aren't installed on the SD card) don't work.

I reinstalled some applications like Yelp, Mint, and Google Finance...but when I choose those apps I get an error message saying that the application needs to force close. Also, when I initially opened the Android Market, it was the old version (it has since updated itself). The sound preferences for text messages have changed...I don't know what the hell happened. A bunch of apps are acting insane, I've had to update and re-enter my information for apps like Facebook, Google Translate, etc.

I've changed batteries like this dozens of times before and I've never had a problem. What could have happened to my phone? Has anyone heard of this happening? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

I use to change my battery daily without any issues and doubt that its the battery causing your problem. Have you tried putting back the original battery and if so did the problem get fixed. I would try going into settings and unmount your card and then really mount it and see if that helps.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Yea I had tried to unmount and reconnect my SD card (both physically and through the menu) with no success. I just tried switching batteries, but it didn't change anything.

P.S. I should probably note that my phone isn't rooted or whatever you call it, so I haven't made any personal mods to the device. It's basically a stock Droid Incredible with apps from the marketplace installed.
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Sis you shut off the device first, or just yank the battery? If you yanked it, maybe clearing cache for your apps. When I had serious FC issues before it was after loading ROMS. I had to do a factory reset. I hope you don't have the same issue.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.
    Perfect Screen Shot Ad Free (App)
    Perfect Screen Shot (App)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

I powered the device down, then switched them. Then I restarted and it was in its current state.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Are you able to access your card using your computer while in your phone or card reader. If you can I would copy everything on there to your computer then format your sdcard if that doesn't work you may need to replace the card.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

But what about the fact that apps that are installed to the phone won't even work? Advanced Task Killer, and Lookout are both installed to the phone, not the SD card, but don't work.

I'm at work, so I don't have a connect to a computer for phone purposes...but I'm starting to think I should walk over the Verizon Store after work.

What did the V store person say? It could be that your phone was about to fail already and the boost from the new battery just took it over the edge
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Lets us know after you go to Verizon where you stand. There are a few things you can try to see if its the phone or the card. I noticed you have ATK installed and I'm pretty sure its not the problem but a task killer isn't really needed on the Dinc and will cause you more problem and worse battery life then you would have without it. Do a search on these forums and you will find a few good threads discussing the disadvantages of using it.

Similar thing happened to me, except instead of switching batteries, my phone died. I ended up having to do a complete wipe and a factory reset. I had to reinstall all my apps. Not fun, but it's working much better, especially since I didn't reinstall the junk I had on there. Good luck with it all...

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
    But what about the fact that apps that are installed to the phone won't even work? Advanced Task Killer, and Lookout are both installed to the phone, not the SD card, but don't work.

I'm at work, so I don't have a connect to a computer for phone purposes...but I'm starting to think I should walk over the Verizon Store after work.
    Many apps require data and or config information that is stored on the SD-Card. So if your card is not visible then those apps would FC because they cannot see the info they need.

I would follow the advice above about copying off the data on your SD-Card, reformatting as FAT32 and see if that works. If not it sounds like its time for a reset.

Sorry man. Let us know what VZW says.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Definitely get rid of the task killer.

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Just wondering if you got everything working? Let us know.

ROM
    Stock/ ICS Rooted

Any Luck?

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Hi all, my wife also has a bone stock inc that rebooted on her last night and she said when it started up it said update successful (our something to that affect) and now almost soon her apps force close.

I dont have a inc (i have a fascinate) and am not much help to her. Any ideas our thoughts let me know otherwise looks like a wipe.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Ok so this morning in the store shopping my Dinc is at 10% battery. It of course goes dead in my pocket. I plug it in for 5 mins and turn it on. Thing is it looks like some phone Ive never seen ! I rebooted with battery pull a dew times with no luck. My apps are either missing OR have reverted back to the original versions. Facebook for instance was like it was over a year ago when I got the phone!!!!! Like it never had software updates. More icons were on my screen were generic Android pictures. When clicked they say app linked to no longer exists. I get force close errors all the time on multiple apps. Also missing probably 60% of my contacts.

I called VZ and of course they recommend a full factory reset and they have no explanation how paying $100 a month gets you this type of service and reliability.

So.... If I do a reset will backup assistant & Google gmail account put all my contacts back?
    Also, will the apps on my SD card still be there? Is there a way to save my current apps and reload all without needing to spend 3 days in the market searching for them? What about paid apps?

What PITA !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by uriel1971 View Post
    Hi all, my wife also has a bone stock inc that rebooted on her last night and she said when it started up it said update successful (our something to that affect) and now almost soon her apps force close.

I dont have a inc (i have a fascinate) and am not much help to her. Any ideas our thoughts let me know otherwise looks like a wipe.
    Ok, this is EXACTLY what happened to me today! My phone was acting really strange and giving me the "application data space low" warning. I tried deleting numerous apps and old picture messages, but it just wouldn't go away. I rebooted the phone twice. Then, as a last-ditch effort, I took out the battery and kept it out for a minute. I put it back in, started it up, and after a while it gave the "updated successfully" message and booted up. Most of my apps were gone (not all, though - strange), all of the contact links between my Gmail list and Facebook were gone, and every time I tried to open a non-stock app, the app will force-close immediately. My browser, Dolphin HD, was one of the apps that were gone, so I redownloaded it (after agreeing to the Market Terms of Use, as if it were the first time). I opened up Dolphin, and it went through its own Terms of Use and settings wizard, again like the first time. Then it immediately force closes. The same happens with AK Notepad, WordReference, and every other non-stock app that I have.

The current version numbers on my phone are:
    Android version: 2.2
    Software Number: 3.26.605.1
    Browser Version: Webkit 3.1

What happened to my phone today? Do I have to do a factory reset? I can still make calls and send texts, but that seems to be it.
    -Strygun
    Former phone: HTC Droid Incredible
    Current phone: Motorola Droid RAZR M

I don't know if this will help anyone or not. I had the Incredible until about 2 weeks ago when I upgraded. I was getting similar messages, and when I went into Facebook and cleared cache and dialer and cleared cache (this one you will lose all your saved text message, so back them up) it seemed to solve my problems. I also went ahead and emptied my Google Voice and Gmail.

Angry Same here!

Same thing happened to me last night. I'm not rooted. I installed the Netflix app (21 MB!) Friday night and had storage issues. Uninstalled it and all was fine. Then I read that some people reinstalled with success the 2nd time. So I reinstalled in again Friday night and all was well. I tried it out successfully for under 5 minutes and haven't used the Netflix app since then. Last night it started acting crazy and completely crashed. I lost everything except photos, apps that were pre-installed on the phone & google contacts/gmail/messages. Everything else is gone, even apps saved to the sd card. No access to market so couldn't re-install any apps or open any apps. The only thing that worked were pre-installed apps & I was able to install my Amazon apps. I worked on it until 2 am and again today and wasn't able to fix the rest. I finally did a factory reset a few minutes ago and just reactivated. I'm about to set everything back up. Hopefully it is fixed. I definitely won't try installing the Netflix app again!!!

Ok...

I can only chime in with this similar experience... Twice....

The answer was, I pulled my battery too quick after shutdown.

I have read that even when the screen goes blank on power down, it still takes 2 or 3 seconds to fully shutdown.

If you pull the battery in that 2-3 second gap, you end up wonky... corrupt.... screwed!

It's happened twice to me now.... I now count to ten before yanking the battery...

I did have to hard reset in both cases.

Lego
    HTC ONE (M8 - HK edition)!

ChromeCast
    Nexus 7 (2012)

BB 6510>7510>8830>8330 Curve>9530 Storm> HTC Droid Incredible > HTC REZOUND!> HTC One (M8)