This phone is infuriating. Keeps resetting on an infinite loop

JDong217

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm so through. I used to love this phone but it's gone down the ****ter recently. It'll reset itself, get to the "HTC Incredible" screen, then reset again. The only way to stop it is to pull the battery. If I'm lucky, it'll actually boot up but usually it resets again. I noticed it happens more when the battery is around 20% or lower.

This never used to happen. I've had the phone for the year, I'm not rooted, and I haven't done anything weird with the phone. I tried factory resetting. That didn't work. Also, this started happening only this week, though I've had some random resets before.

I plan on going to verizon but will they give me a new phone? I know I didn't mess w/ the phone but it's been over a year and I didn't buy an extended warranty.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you know someone else with a DInc where you can borrow his or her battery?

Or buy a new battery at VZW for a few days and try that. A bad battery can exhibit the symptoms you are describing.

Hope this helps.

JDong217

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably gonna get a new battery tomorrow. I hope that's the problem. Also, I noticed now that if I turn the phone off, sometimes I just won't be able to turn it back on, as in I have to press the power button multiple times or just hold it and pray that it works. Is that a sign that the battery is old too?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth Verizon will probably give you another Inc unless you have an upgrade to burn and personally I wouldn't burn my upgrade if I had one on the Inc2...just not enough of a step up to me to make it worth it. Now if you're a smooth operator (thank you Sade) with a golden tongue and you get the right salesperson...well all bets are off, but I wouldn't count on it.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Even if he gets another DInc ir probably won't come with a new battery - Tony BOD when through something like 6 returns before figuring out it was a battery problem all along.

Try the battery first, you can always return it if it does not fix the problem.

JDong217

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Update: finally got around to getting a new battery. Charging the phone now and it STILL resets. It's done so about 5 times in a row now.

I'm gonna bring my phone in to Verizon sometime in the next few days. How do I go about proving this problem to them? Should I let my battery run low then bring it in so that it resets while they're working with it? Also, would I still be able to get a (free) replacement even if my warantee has expired? I haven't done anything to mess with the phone

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Just want to make sure I understand correctly. It's fine at charges over 20% but reboots below that.

What was the charge when it was rebooting on the new battery? Did it stop when it got over a certain %?

I'm just trying to understand the variables clearly.

JDong217

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Actually, now that I have the new battery, I reboots even around 90% now. I think it might be the phone itself that's the problem.

I'm not sure what the % was when it first rebooted w the new battery. I was charging it though (starting from around 5%) and it couldn't have been charging for more than 10-15 minutes before it happened

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Bummer - I'd try to call VZW rather than go to a store and see if you can get a replacement under warranty - if not then Insurance will cover it but it's a $99 deductable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084