HTC Incredible/Nexus One

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The real question, as far as I'm concerned, is whether the hardware differences (which at this point I believe only appears to be 5 MP camera (N1) versus 8 MP camera (Incredible)) render the Incredible the better choice. They have the same processor, the same screen size, etc.

Other hardware differences...

dual LED camera flashes on Incredible (only one on N1)
Trackball vs. Trackpad
Noise canceling mic on the N1
Dock ports on N1 that allow connection to desk dock and car dock
8GB (maybe?) installed micro SD in Incredible vs. 4GB in N1

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
There probably won't be any software differences b/w the N1 and the Incredible. The only real difference software-wise will be HTC's Sense UI. All the other software options (voice recognition, car mode, etc.) will be available. The real question, as far as I'm concerned, is whether the hardware differences (which at this point I believe only appears to be 5 MP camera (N1) versus 8 MP camera (Incredible)) render the Incredible the better choice. They have the same processor, the same screen size, etc. And if you like the HTC Sense UI, you can always put it on your rooted N1. It's a real toss up, as far as I see it. Thing is, if Verizon releases the Incredible in the near future, I can't imagine that they'll release the N1 any time soon. The devices have too much crossover. They would rather get you to buy one and then want to buy the other later. We'll just have to see--it's something I'm definitely monitoring closely....

the N1 is pretty much distributed by google, and being that vzw most likely cares more about subscribers and contracts signed vs what smartphone you get, i doubt they would care if there was crossover in features. their big selling point will probably be the in store device try out/service and better camera/flash

the 8gb of internal memory is a big difference if it's treated the same way the ROM is, since you could then install apps on it.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
If they are available around the same time I think I would have to go with the incredible. Mostly becuase if there is a problem with it, or I dont like it, I know I can go to a verizons store and take care of it right there an then. I dont like the fact that the only recourse you have with Google is with a nameless/faceless CS department that has not gotten stellar reviews. Not to mention that google charges you to return it.

tamanaco

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the pictures and specs here the fact that it says that this phone is a "Google Experience Device" with "Google Over The Air Updates" makes this phone very attractive. It will probably bypasses the "usual" delays for the OS (Android) updates that one gets when one buys the phone from 3rd parties like Verizon and AT&T.

The only two things that make me pause before I'd select this phone as my next phone are that it usually takes the developers from xda and ppcgeeks a while to root and develop new ROMs for "Verizon" CDMA Smartphones. This was the case with Verizon Imagio for which no cooked ROM was available for a long, long time. By the time the new ROM came out similar/better Smartphones were available. The other thing that disappointed me is that unlike the Verizon Imagio, the "leaked" specs of the Incredible do not show that the Incredible is a CDMA & GSM World Phone. Other than that, this phone has all the specs I want to help me jump to Verizon from AT&T.

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Official?? How are those "official" specs when they are not on Verizon's website? I won't believe those "specs" until the phone actually comes out. If you notice, the "specs" state it has 8GB of memory, yet farther down it says 512MB ROM, 512MB RAM. Also in one column it states it supports removable memory microSD up to 32GB, yet in the next column (right next to it) it says it supports removable memory microSD up to 16GB. See what I mean? There are a lot of inconsistencies in that so-called document. Also, if you look at the 200 page user's guide, there is no mention of 8GB of internal storage. I would be much more inclined to believe the user's guide. That "specs" document could easily be Photo-chopped.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the pictures and specs here the fact that it says that this phone is a "Google Experience Device" with "Google Over The Air Updates" makes this phone very attractive. It will probably bypasses the "usual" delays for the OS (Android) updates that one gets when one buys the phone from 3rd parties like Verizon and AT&T.

The only two things that make me pause before I'd select this phone as my next phone are that it usually takes the developers from xda and ppcgeeks a while to root and develop new ROMs for "Verizon" CDMA Smartphones. This was the case with Verizon Imagio for which no cooked ROM was available for a long, long time. By the time the new ROM came out similar/better Smartphones were available. The other thing that disappointed me is that unlike the Verizon Imagio, the "leaked" specs of the Incredible do not show that the Incredible is a CDMA & GSM World Phone. Other than that, this phone has all the specs I want to help me jump to Verizon from AT&T.

It says right on the spec sheet that it uses HTC's SenseUI. It is not a "Google Experience" device. It's the one thing I do not like about the Incredible. The rendered images are different than I've seen so far also. The last images I've seen show a black back-cover. The only one I've seen with a shiny red one is the crappy video that came out months ago. I hope it remains black, and I certainly hope it doesn't have the silly Android guy on the corner.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it looks like it will be black from the new page on vzw's site:

HTC Incredible™

oh and just because it says it gets google OTA updates, doesn't mean it's going to be updated as frequently as the N1, as HTC has to make sure sense will work with whatever the next version of android ends up being.

personally, so long as they can root the device, then with custom roms, i don't really care about OTA updates, i had 2,1 on my droid long before it officially came out...

and google experience doesn't mean what it apparantly used to mean, so something can have sense and still be a google experience phone

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
it looks like it will be black from the new page on vzw's site:

HTC Incredible™

oh and just because it says it gets google OTA updates, doesn't mean it's going to be updated as frequently as the N1, as HTC has to make sure sense will work with whatever the next version of android ends up being.

personally, so long as they can root the device, then with custom roms, i don't really care about OTA updates, i had 2,1 on my droid long before it officially came out...

and google experience doesn't mean what it apparantly used to mean, so something can have sense and still be a google experience phone

Cool it's on VZW's website now at least!

tamanaco

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
It says right on the spec sheet that it uses HTC's SenseUI. It is not a "Google Experience" device. It's the one thing I do not like about the Incredible. The rendered images are different than I've seen so far also. The last images I've seen show a black back-cover. The only one I've seen with a shiny red one is the crappy video that came out months ago. I hope it remains black, and I certainly hope it doesn't have the silly Android guy on the corner.

If you look at the sheet with the "leaked & unofficial" specs in the link that I posted it says "Google Experience Device"... I'm "not" saying that this is the case... I'm saying that the specs on that page say it is so.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
There probably won't be any software differences b/w the N1 and the Incredible. The only real difference software-wise will be HTC's Sense UI. All the other software options (voice recognition, car mode, etc.) will be available. The real question, as far as I'm concerned, is whether the hardware differences (which at this point I believe only appears to be 5 MP camera (N1) versus 8 MP camera (Incredible)) render the Incredible the better choice. They have the same processor, the same screen size, etc. And if you like the HTC Sense UI, you can always put it on your rooted N1. It's a real toss up, as far as I see it. Thing is, if Verizon releases the Incredible in the near future, I can't imagine that they'll release the N1 any time soon. The devices have too much crossover. They would rather get you to buy one and then want to buy the other later. We'll just have to see--it's something I'm definitely monitoring closely....

Remember - Verizon won't be the one selling the Nexus One, Google will. It'll only be using Big Red's network, nothing more. I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting the Incredible out so it can almost compete with the N1 - and be sold directly by VZW.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. Is it worth buying the Incredible and turning off Sense UI?

sure, if you don't like it, turn it off.

at least with the incredible you have the option to do one or the other.

the optical trackball and nicer camera alone are worth getting the incredible over the N1 imo

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly even if the Nexus one comes out tomorrow and it is the same as the one that came out for TMO I will wait for the incredible. Mostly because I know that I will get the buy down price for since I am upgrading a secondary line. At the same time the Incedible seems to be just as good and better in some areas. Now if the Nexus one has some improvements then I would make me thing twice.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i see nothing the N1 has that the incredible doesn't.

the only thing really going for the nexus one is the speed of OS updates, but once the incredible is rooted it should get updates almost as frequently (albeit unofficially)

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
i see nothing the N1 has that the incredible doesn't.

the only thing really going for the nexus one is the speed of OS updates, but once the incredible is rooted it should get updates almost as frequently (albeit unofficially)

Which is basically what I am saying. More so that I think the incredible is a better device, and would be worth waiting 2 weeks to get instead of the Nexus one which who knows when the heck, or if it will be on Verizon.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nexus One... if you can stand VZW... get the Incredible... Sense UI>>>stock Nexus UI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12