Mobile Hot Spot

JustinD2473#IM

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
This is the feature that might make me buy this phone for sure....does anyone have any idea if it will be included like it is with the Palm phones ?

StuckwVerizon

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I wish they do that. One of the reason I was considering Palm because of that Hotspot and made it free. But I don't think Verizon make it free on Incredible. It's $40 per month extra.

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
If you're interested in getting a laptop connected, you can always tether. The instructions on how to do that are actually in the Incredible's user manual.

reuben432

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
For tethering, wouldn't it be easier to just download PDANET and use that? My wife is doing that now on her DROID with no issues, and am hoping to have the same experience with the Incredible. Unless you don't even need that software with this phone already coming with that capability??

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
For tethering, wouldn't it be easier to just download PDANET and use that? My wife is doing that now on her DROID with no issues, and am hoping to have the same experience with the Incredible. Unless you don't even need that software with this phone already coming with that capability??

You don't need PDANET. The capability is already built in. You just need to install HTC Sync, which I'm guessing has some drivers or something that allow the data transfer to occur.

Justin: Be careful. Your iPad may self destruct if connected to an Android device! Or it may alert Steve Jobs as to what you're up to. :D

SpyBob

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Why would you even bother with bringing the iPad in the first place. The Incredible will have FLASH LITE- the iPad can't even play video.

JustinD2473#IM

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Well...don't want to start a android vs apple battle here. But the iPad has it's uses. The large screen is way nice for browsing and For a book reader etc.

Until now, I have ONLY owned blackberry devices. The iPad is my first ever apple product and the incredible would be my first ever android product.

aliahlewis

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
This is the feature that might make me buy this phone for sure....does anyone have any idea if it will be included like it is with the Palm phones ?

Which features make you buy this phone?? And which phone you are talking about?? :confused: I am not able to see any kind of name or description of the phone at all.

terpdog

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon "free" hot spot does have a limit, ie. the phone itself is unlimited but the mobile hotspot was limited. At least that is how I read it.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
what's funny to me is that you could (in an official sense) either add the tethering/ hotspot to a non palm for $40, or buy a palm and add it to your account and pay $40 ($10 extra line + $30 data)

it would be nice if they made it free for all smartphones that could do it from a hardware sense, but i don't see it happening. it seems more like a gimmick to help them move palm devices before the company gets bought.

arbywon

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
what's funny to me is that you could (in an official sense) either add the tethering/ hotspot to a non palm for $40, or buy a palm and add it to your account and pay $40 ($10 extra line + $30 data)

I understand from a Verizon phone rep that the hotspot feature may be turned on and off as needed. This was when I was considering the Palm pre and Verizon was charging for the feature. If the Incredible has the hotspot feature at all, it's a biggie for me; even at the $40/mo. I would enable the hotspot feature only when at my vacation cabin and other road trips. If no hotspot feature, I may still go for the pre.

RB

VZW06106

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
the incredible is not going to be able to perform the mobile hotspot like the palm devices. the hotspot feature was offered through verizon for $40 a month with a 5 gig limit when the phones were released. palm as a company has not been doing well at all, hence the drop in price on the phones (from 250 to 150 to 50) and the offer to use the hotspot for free. from reading specs from an earlier post, it looks like tethering will be offered through verizon for the incredible for $30 a month for users with the 29.99 personal email package or 15 for customers with he 44.99 business email package. the other droid phones for verizon do not have the ability to tether as a verizon feature, only though third party apps like PDA net.

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The Incredible has native tethering capabilities built in. It's actually covered in the user's manual. So I doubt that there would be a charge for that. Can they even tell if you're tethering a device?

VZW06106

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
yea they charge for it. the total cost for unlimited email / web and tethering on verizon is $60 a month. so if you have the $30 a month data plan, tethering costs another 30 a month. if you have the $45 business email plan the tethering add on is another $15 a month. in both cases the tethering had a 5 GB cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome