Htc Incredible 2.3 update

bentor1996

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I could find a thread about this and am ready for the 2.3 update because of the stupid bugs on my htc incredible. I was wondering if there is any news on the update? Thanks for any help!

RIMMAN

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Nothing concrete yet. Sometime in July is the latest word. Are you rooted? If so, try flashing a ROM or two and see if that helps you out. It usually does.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Rumor mill says the gingerbread update is coming sometime this summer, and we;ve alreadt got a leaked gingerbread build, but no official word yet. What kind of bugs are you having?

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Are there any popular apps that *don't* work after a DINC has been rooted? I thought I read somewhere that Netflix doesn't work on rooted phones. If true, not a big loss...but wondering what other apps might be affected.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Are there any popular apps that *don't* work after a DINC has been rooted? I thought I read somewhere that Netflix doesn't work on rooted phones. If true, not a big loss...but wondering what other apps might be affected.
I'm rooted with the stock rom and Netflix works fine.

bentor1996

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Rumor mill says the gingerbread update is coming sometime this summer, and we;ve alreadt got a leaked gingerbread build, but no official word yet. What kind of bugs are you having?

It is the one where it says my phone is low on application space and i look in the settings and i have plenty. I have done a factory reset on it and got a replacement and it still does it. It stop my email from syncing and i can download apps until i make (unnecessary) room. Thanks for the info about the time frame!

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for the update but if it doesn't happen, then I'll root.

The only reason I haven't rooted yet is because I have the insurance on the phone and don't know if it will still cover the phone if rooted or if something will happen to it where I can't unroot before sending it in for a replacement...

tzoller

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
where can i get step by step instructions to root to CM7. Have never done this and would like a 'dummy' list to follow. I'm sure one exists somewhere...

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
where can i get step by step instructions to root to CM7. Have never done this and would like a 'dummy' list to follow. I'm sure one exists somewhere...

First of all you will need to root your phone. It sounds frighting but it really isn't very hard at all, and if you carefully read the instructions beforehand you should be just fine. Instructions to root the Dinc are here.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/inc...w-root-un-root-rom-your-droid-incredible.html

Then it's time to install CM7. The "easy" way to do this is with ROM Manager, but I have a lot less problems going into recovery and flashing it manually. Once your rooted you'll want to download CM7 (I would highly recommend the latest nightly) and the gapps (Google apps) package and put them on the root of your SD card. Then power off your phone and boot into hboot by holding volume down and pressing power. Once there select "recovery" to go into Clockworkmod. Before flashing CM7 you will defiantly want to make a backup of your current ROM in case something goes wrong or you decide you don't like CM7. To do so scroll down to "backup and restore" using the volume rocker and select it with the track ball. Select "backup" and Clockworkmod will create a nandroid backup of your current ROM. Once that is finished you can go ahead and install CM7. Select "wipe data/factory reset", which will erase your current ROM and all your data. Once that finishes select "wipe cache partition". With that done select "install zip from SD card" and scroll all the way down until you see the .zip file for CM7 that you downloaded earlier. Select it, confirm that you really do want to install it, and wait for the installation to finish. Then select the gapps package and install it the same way. Done! CM7 is now installed on your phone and all that is left now is to reboot and enjoy.

Oh and word to the wise, make sure your battery is good and charged before you do this. If ytour battery dies in recovery it will brick your phone. Most people say that having your battery 40% charged is enough, but I don't like to go into recovery with less then a 75% charge.

Reactions: tony bag o donuts

CGWaters

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You suggest using the 'nightly build'. Is a new build released on a nightly basis? If so, do you find yourself installing newer builds often? That would seem to be very disruptive, IMO.

BTW, it was explicitly stated on another thread that CM7 doesn't alleviate the 150 MB data/data limitation; apparently the act of wiping the phone simply temporarily resolves the problem until your apps fill it up again.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You suggest using the 'nightly build'. Is a new build released on a nightly basis? If so, do you find yourself installing newer builds often? That would seem to be very disruptive, IMO.

BTW, it was explicitly stated on another thread that CM7 doesn't alleviate the 150 MB data/data limitation; apparently the act of wiping the phone simply temporarily resolves the problem until your apps fill it up again.

I'm a flash-aholic so I typically flash the new nightlies as soon as they are released. Really the only disruption I've experienced is that after flashing over fifty nightlies one on top of the other my battery life was suffering, but calibrating my battery took care of that. If you find a nightly you like and that works for you, by all means stick with it. I was on nightly 26 for almost a month a wile back.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted on stock rom and got rid of bloatware...a reboot and force close every now and then from foursquare, plume and gmail but other than that GREAT!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for the update but if it doesn't happen, then I'll root.

The only reason I haven't rooted yet is because I have the insurance on the phone and don't know if it will still cover the phone if rooted or if something will happen to it where I can't unroot before sending it in for a replacement...

Insurance does not care if you are rooted or not. It's the Warranty that is violated, not the insurance.

Reactions: silentbobdrummer

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It is the one where it says my phone is low on application space and i look in the settings and i have plenty. I have done a factory reset on it and got a replacement and it still does it. It stop my email from syncing and i can download apps until i make (unnecessary) room. Thanks for the info about the time frame!

I had this same problem on my dinc. Fixed it by clearing the data for the Facebook app.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: bentor1996

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is so quick to throw rooting and adding a rom as the answer to everything, but some things to question first (especially if you're not tech inclined, in which case you should be asking yourself if rooting and roms are the way to go for you).

• I use Netflix through my phone on to my tv, does tv out still work with CM7? I know using some previous CM roms that it did not.
  • If TV out does not work, what other stock functionality is lost from CM7 stable builds?
  • There's nightlies for a reason, bug fixes, which means if you are constantly installing nightlies, you're constantly installing a buggy rom that does stabilize over time, correct? I think that would be important to clarify and note for 1st timers.

Last, I am not picking on CM at all, I think that the above could be asked about any rom out there. I think if you are going to go the rom route though, you should be aware of what things you do lose, despite your gains.

Reactions: PvilleComp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781