Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

There's this tiny white line just above the phone bar at the bottom of the screen. It changes position in relation to which screen you're on as you swipe left or right . Try it and you'll see what I mean.
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I stole this from HTC's website, but I like this tip, so I am going to quote them here:

Q. How do I increase my accuracy on the keyboard?

A. You can increase your accuracy on the keyboard by calibrating the keyboard to be more suited to your tapping habits:

From the Home screen tap Menu > Settings > Language & keyboard > Touch input > Text input > Calibration tool. Tap the given phrase and after you have completed the calibration, the keyboard should be more attuned to your touch screen habits.
    Thanked by 7:

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    I stole this from HTC's website, but I like this tip, so I am going to quote them here:
    It helps a lot. I calibrated after a few hours on the first day - big improvement.

Thanks for the tip.
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMBi-kk)
    Dell XPS 12 (great Ultrabook convertible for mobile work!)

cool thing i noticed, when your playing music and you lock the phone when you go to hit the unlock button at the top your music controls are on the screen without unlocking the phone. very useful!
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post
    If you go into a contact and select Edit Contact then go into edit the person's name. It allows you to put in first and last in separate fields. It then shows your "Display Name" just below. On the right side of that "Display Name" field is an arrow pointing down. Press that arrow and it will allow you to swap how you want the name to be displayed. Either first last or last first.

To turn off the vibration when receiving a text. if you are in Messages, go to "All Messages" and click the Menu button. Click "Settings" and scroll down until you see "Vibrate" under "Received Messages."

Disable Mobile Web Pages
    Open Internet Browser
    Hit Menu
    More
    Settings
    Untick "Mobile View"

Basically you turn off animations and it makes the phone feel much quicker.
    Menu>Settings>Sound & Display>Animation
    Set it to Animations Off. There are 3 settings: Show All Animations, Show Some Animations, and Turn Off Animations, the off options is the best for overall performance.
    curious...why would you disable mobile web pages?
    and what animations do you refer to?
    Clones are People Two....

Quote Originally Posted by orangedude654 View Post
    Download Advanced task killer and leave it on your home screen.
    Power users especially - this is just an easy one click (closing sometimes 8 apps at a time) always there on your home screen. It doesn't kill the active background sink for updates.
    Android automatically handles ram issues - but since the phone is pretty beastly it can have 15 apps open without seeing an stutter. But closing them frequently saves major battery - without any loss of performance (i promise)
    Warning, if you have alarms setuped, using Advanced task killer will close the alarm program.

I found something intresting, if you put Advanced Task killer inside a folder, when you click on the app, a screen will show with all open apps to select which app(s) you want to kill, and also if you click menu you can setup the task killer app to which actions you want --- While if the task app is on the home screen it will just kill all apps
    HTC DInc, CM7
    NookColor Tablet running HC 3.0
    Archos A70 Tablet running Froyo 2.2

FollowMe @zDailyTechBits www.twitter.com/zDailyTechBits
    zDailyTechBits.wordpress.com
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

Go to a home screen, click the plus button, select folder. Then open the folder, click the plus button, and add the program.
    Thanked by:

If you don't feel like swiping down on the lockscreen to unlock the phone, you can hit the "menu" button, which will also unlock the phone.
    Thanked by 4:

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Pressing the Homescreen button twice shows all 6 homescreens as thumbnails so you can navigate to them directly rather than swiping to them.
    It's pressing the home button from the main home screen that does this. If you press the home button once from another screen it will take you to the main home screen (that's why pressing it a 2nd time will bring up this view).

You can also bring up the thumbnail by pinching two fingers in, from any of the home screens. And by the way there are 7 homescreens not 6 haha.
    Matt
    Using: HTC Incredible
    Formerly: BB Storm
    on Verizon Wireless

From the home screen, if you swipe your finger down across the screen the time in the top toolbar where the 3G symbol resides, you'll pull down a list of Ongoing Apps running and Notifications. Found this by accident but it's pretty nifty if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by dalixz25 View Post
    From the home screen, if you swipe your finger down across the screen the time in the top toolbar where the 3G symbol resides, you'll pull down a list of Ongoing Apps running and Notifications. Found this by accident but it's pretty nifty if you ask me.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Android...this my friend is stock feature! You can also access this list by pressing menu > notifications

To change the name of a folder on your home screens, open the folder, press and hold on the top of the folder "where the name of the folder", a small windows will pop up for you to change the name
    HTC DInc, CM7
    NookColor Tablet running HC 3.0
    Archos A70 Tablet running Froyo 2.2

FollowMe @zDailyTechBits www.twitter.com/zDailyTechBits
    zDailyTechBits.wordpress.com
    Thanked by:

not sure if this was pointed out.... but for all you former BB users that miss your suretype: From the home screen---->menu--->setting--> Language and keyboard---> Touch input---> Keyboard types and choose compact qwerty. i dont think the prediction is as good but it gets the job done!
    He who goes to bed with itchy hiney, wakes up with smelly finger....

Default SMS/MMS Message Delivery Nofication

Messages shortcut (wherever you happen to have it) >
    tap the All Messages view >
    Menu > Settings -- notice the "Delivery Reports" option listed twice (once for SMS, another time for MMS)

Delivery Reports
    Request a delivery report for each message you send.

When your SMS is delivered, you'll get a little envelope icon with a green exclamation mark. That serves as the confirmation.
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMBi-kk)
    Dell XPS 12 (great Ultrabook convertible for mobile work!)
    Thanked by 2:

Default Contacts' Birthdays on your Calendar

To have your Contacts Birthdays automatically added to your Calendar, go into GMAIL --> Calendar --> Other Calendars --> Add --> Browse Interesting Calendars --> More --> Contacts Birthdays and Events --> Subscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by aaoflaca View Post
    Warning, if you have alarms setuped, using Advanced task killer will close the alarm program.

I found something intresting, if you put Advanced Task killer inside a folder, when you click on the app, a screen will show with all open apps to select which app(s) you want to kill, and also if you click menu you can setup the task killer app to which actions you want --- While if the task app is on the home screen it will just kill all apps
    Go into Advanced Task Killer (the app not the widget) and exclude the programs you don't want to be killed on a routine basis such as alarms, e-mail, weather etc. You can accomplish this by long pressing on the app name and selecting "exclude".
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by steddy789 View Post
    Can you move pictures and videos from the internal storage to the SD card without plugging into computer? I took a bunch before I switched it to save automatically to the card and can't figure out how to move them.. I'm probably an ***** but can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Maybe try ASTRO File Manager. I haven't really messed with this program too much.. but I heard it's good for file managing? It's free and in the market place
    Thanked by:

Vibrate notifications not working correct?

Kentoe helped me out. He found this trick:

"Originally Posted by kentoe
    I FOUND THE FIX.

It requires the third party app HOWEVER you don't need to keep it.

Go to the market and download an app called "Sound Manager" by Daniel Roozen.

Once downloaded, launch the app, press menu, go to vibrate settings and there should be two options.

BOTH should be onto vibrate whenever possible. The bottom one was set to don't vibrate and was most likely set by another app I had previously downloaded.

My phone now vibrates when it should be.

Original find:http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...tml#post375888"
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

I hope this helps someone. When using a file explorer utility such as Astro File Manager the SD Card will be noted as a folder called /sdcard and the internal phone memory will be one level up called /

When you connect the phone to a PC using USB, the SD Card will show up as a drive letter such as F: but the internal phone memory will be something like G:

What is interesting is that you cannot navigate to the / in USB mode. The G: is actually at /emmc and F: is /sdcard

I discovered this because I was trying to find my photos which are in /emmc/dcim in Astro but G:\dcim in Windows

Default Uninstall App not in Market Downloads

If you have loaded an app that you want to remove and you didn't install it via Market, it might not exist int he downloads section to uninstall.

You can most likely uninstall it using

Code:
    Seting -> Applications -> Manage Applications
    Find it and then use it's uninstall to remove it.

Note that you cannot uninstall programs that are located on the ROM of the unit like (cityid). They are on the rom and not removable.

I had installed SlideME and decided that I didn't want to use it any more. Took me a while to figure this out.

Forgive me if this is already posted somewhere else, but I've searched the forums and haven't found this anywhere. It's only helpful in specific situations.

If you have a long url, text, or random 18 digit alphanumeric code (UPS tracking number) that you'd rather not type into your phone, and you're next to your computer, you can convert the string (letters, numbers, text) into a QR code here QR-Code Generator and then just scan it with your phone.

It was useful for me when I got a shipping notice email at home and I wanted to check on the delivery (via UPS app) on the go.

Also, I was at work on a public computer that I didn't feel safe logging into my email account when I saw a web page I wanted to bookmark. It was a very long url, so I converted it into a QR code and pointed my phone at the screen.

I suppose if you have a long text message you wanted to send, you can also type it out first and then scan it in.

Quote Originally Posted by TBolt View Post
    Messages shortcut (wherever you happen to have it) >
    tap the All Messages view >
    Menu > Settings -- notice the "Delivery Reports" option listed twice (once for SMS, another time for MMS)

Delivery Reports
    Request a delivery report for each message you send.

When your SMS is delivered, you'll get a little envelope icon with a green exclamation mark. That serves as the confirmation.
    This is the second time I've seen this. It's not totally accurate. The envelope is NOT your delivery confirmation. Press and hold the message, immediately after sending and touch "View Report" and you will see that it is "Pending" not delivered. When you view the report and it reads "Received", that IS your delivery confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by netnurse View Post
    Go into Advanced Task Killer (the app not the widget) and exclude the programs you don't want to be killed on a routine basis such as alarms, e-mail, weather etc. You can accomplish this by long pressing on the app name and selecting "exclude".
    True, so the thing to do when you first open ATK is to look at which tasks you never want to kill, long press them and a menu will come up. Choose "Ignore" and they won't show up. Once you've ignored all the "want to stay open" tasks, you can open ATK and press the "Kill Selected Apps" button without a 2nd thought.
    Thanked by:

Press and hold the power button and a short menu will pop up to power off, change to silent, vibrate, airplane modes, and change mobile network connection.

Handy little browser trick that I uncovered (may have been posted previously but I didn't see it)

When in the browswer, you can press the volume rocker up or down to perform the function of Page Up or Page Down respectively. Stupid little trick but does come in handy once in a while.
    Thanked by 3:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast