Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aaoflaca View Post
    I found something intresting, if you put Advanced Task killer inside a folder, when you click on the app, a screen will show with all open apps to select which app(s) you want to kill, and also if you click menu you can setup the task killer app to which actions you want --- While if the task app is on the home screen it will just kill all apps
    I find it easier to press the application button (the uparrow in the circle) then press the ATK icon which gets you to the same place where you can un-select the apps you don't want to kill.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I didn't see this posted, so apologies if common knowledge...

Coming from a Storm2, I thought the optical joystick was pretty much useless. The I discovered that if I'm on a webpage or one of my feeds, that scrolling up and down with the joystick highlights the each link on the page in succession, which you can then click. I love this feature...so much better than having to tap the links!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

The option to buy a song in Pandora is available after installing Amazon MP3 apk

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

If you want to "Reject" a call and have the phone send a text message to the person who called, press the the menu key instead of "Answer" or "Decline" and another menu will pop up. From there, you can send a message to the caller.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jgurnett View Post
    Handy little browser trick that I uncovered (may have been posted previously but I didn't see it)

When in the browswer, you can press the volume rocker up or down to perform the function of Page Up or Page Down respectively. Stupid little trick but does come in handy once in a while.
    didn't scroll for me. just vol up and down as usual. did i miss something?

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    ROM
    AXIOM 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by jgurnett View Post
    Handy little browser trick that I uncovered (may have been posted previously but I didn't see it)

When in the browswer, you can press the volume rocker up or down to perform the function of Page Up or Page Down respectively. Stupid little trick but does come in handy once in a while.
    that doesn't work for me. the ringer volume shows up. happens in portrait or landscape more.

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    ROM
    AXIOM 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by bogeyx5 View Post
    If you want to "Reject" a call and have the phone send a text message to the person who called, press the the menu key instead of "Answer" or "Decline" and another menu will pop up. From there, you can send a message to the caller.
    you can also change what default message to send, and set an option to let you modify the message before sending.
    SETTINGS, CALL, PHONE SETTINGS. both of the features i mentioned are in here.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    ROM
    AXIOM 2.4

another tip, when you hit the SEARCH button on the bottom right, it will give you the option to search for something throughout your whole phone and internet. you can change what objects to search within.
    SETTINGS, SEARCH, SEARCHABLE ITEMS.

If you hold the search button down for a few seconds, you can talk and search for something. or even do commands like "navigate to [contact name]", "call [contact name]", "map [then whatever you wanna look for in google maps]"

if you are within an app, like the PEOPLE app or google talk, and then hit Search, it will give you a search box to find stuff only within the app you are in. this is easier to find a contact in the People app rather than scrolling all the way down. and if you hit search twice while inside an app, it will change the search back to your universal search like from the home screen.
    Thanked by 3:

When using the camera...
    To quickly select a point in the frame to auto focus on, simply touch that point and a small white square highlights the area. When the square turns green that selected area is in focus.
    Thanked by 5:

Quote Originally Posted by blunt420 View Post
    anyone know how to copy and paste??
    In the browser you longpress the screen. You then get a magnified view of where your finger is. It highlights the word(s). When you release you then get a field with handles. move them then hit the copy button you're given.

Report back.
    Thanked by:
    wryun 

Found this trick on another forum, so I give props to the original poster

Taking crystal clear pictures using long hold on the screen (tap to auto focus, long press for taking the shot)

Accidental discovery re: camera - Android Forums
    Thanked by 3:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

All questions posted to this thread will be deleted per the first post.

Default Phone Book Backups

Their is a way to acknowledge separate phone books. First many of my VZW Backup Assistant numbers were old so I went into VZW's website and found my contacts. I deleted the old and unwanted numbers. Then I ran Backup assistant on my phone. Then I synced my Google contacts.

This is the best part.. Select: Phone, menu, people, menu, view. That will show your available phone books and how to select the one or more that you want to use.

If you find a lot of double contacts I suggest going int VZW's website and deleting the old double contacts there. Remember to compare contacts before deleting anything. You may delete the wrong one.

You can also import/export contacts with your SD card. Phone, menu, people, menu, Import/Export. That's the ultimate backup IMO.
    Thanked by:

Default Reducing camera flash intensity

Here's a simple, cheap solution to reducing the intensity of the LED flash when taking pictures with the camera. After I did this, taking photos of people from 2 feet away with the flash no longer result in the subject looking like a washed out ghost.

First, get a roll of paper medical tape:
    Droid Incredible Tips & Tricks Thread-flash-001.jpg

Then, cut a rectangular piece of this tape that is the same width but twice as long as the 2 LED lights on the back of the phone. Fold it in half long-ways so that just a tiny bit of sticky side is exposed.
    Droid Incredible Tips & Tricks Thread-flash-002.jpg

Next, remove the back of the phone. Take this rectangle of tape and place it over the 2 LED lights. The small sticky area will hold the tape in place.
    Droid Incredible Tips & Tricks Thread-flash-004.jpg

Finally, put the back cover back on the phone. You're good to go! You can obviously apply more or fewer layers of tape to suit your needs.
    Droid Incredible Tips & Tricks Thread-flash-003.jpg
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

A wonderful feature of the phone is the music controls on the lock screen (why don't other android devices have this basic feature!!)

Anyway... after a few seconds they disappear but if you drag up from the lock button, they slide back up.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by BadPeekSell View Post
    pressing and holding the home button will make it buzz twice and a menu will popup with 6 most recently used apps
    Great tip!!! It's pretty similar to the Alt-Tab interface on Windows. Great way to bounce between multiple apps.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by trmoney24 View Post
    If you hold the search button down for a few seconds, you can talk and search for something. or even do commands like "navigate to [contact name]", "call [contact name]", "map [then whatever you wanna look for in google maps]
    This doesn't seem to work on my phone. Press and hold just searches what I say, but doesn't follow commands like Call ____. It just finds the name from my phonebook (sometimes with the word Add Number under it)

(Interestingly when I click on some names after using this search option, it leads me to a different person's contact info...no pattern or connection).

Default Autolock disable

In other threads I've seen a few people ask about an app that would prevent the screen from timing out while in a dock (as the Moto Droid apparently does natively).

If you go to Settings > Applications > Development, there is an option to "Stay Awake" while the phone is charging.

It may or may not be a setting you want to have enabled all the time, but it will allow the screen to stay unlocked while docked (assuming the dock is charging the device).

Note: the screen does dim slightly after a short time of no user input, but just tapping it brings it back to full brightness without needing to swipe-unlock.
    Previous phones: BlackBerry Storm 1, HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Current phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Dropbox - free secure online storage. Sign up here and get a 250MB bonus.
    Thanked by 2:

I didn't see this posted before, but if I missed it the Mods can delete: no stress.

If you want to easily add an email address to your contacts from an email that you have received, you can simply touch the address (while in the actual mail) and you'll get a pop-up with several options.

And FWIW, I don't see this option in gmail addresses.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gcims View Post
    didn't scroll for me. just vol up and down as usual. did i miss something?
    This trick does not work in the stock browser but it does work in the Dolphin browser as long as it is enabled.

I dont know if on all sense ui phones or it might be the sms app but u can type over 160 and it will split it into seprate meesages and send them
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mjohnson4580 View Post
    I dont know if on all sense ui phones or it might be the sms app but u can type over 160 and it will split it into seprate meesages and send them
    Its pretty common now with all phones. Back in the day, I had to do this manually (for non-verizon recipients) but almost every phone that has been released within the past year automatically will do this (dumb phones included)
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by trmoney24 View Post
    another tip, when you hit the SEARCH button on the bottom right, it will give you the option to search for something throughout your whole phone and internet. you can change what objects to search within.
    SETTINGS, SEARCH, SEARCHABLE ITEMS.

If you hold the search button down for a few seconds, you can talk and search for something. or even do commands like "navigate to [contact name]", "call [contact name]", "map [then whatever you wanna look for in google maps]"

if you are within an app, like the PEOPLE app or google talk, and then hit Search, it will give you a search box to find stuff only within the app you are in. this is easier to find a contact in the People app rather than scrolling all the way down. and if you hit search twice while inside an app, it will change the search back to your universal search like from the home screen.
    One common place that hitting Search within an app will not work is under Settings --> Applications --> Manage applications. This can make it hard to uninstall an app from there if you've got a lot of apps, so use the Market or a 3rd party app instead.

Quote Originally Posted by woop View Post
    Its pretty common now with all phones. Back in the day, I had to do this manually (for non-verizon recipients) but almost every phone that has been released within the past year automatically will do this (dumb phones included)
    Be aware that a lot of people are using phones older than a year. Many older than two (depending on how often the company gives you a discount on a new phone...and then have to assume they didn't get the most brand new phone two years ago when they chose it).

Quote Originally Posted by anthonym83 View Post
    Be aware that a lot of people are using phones older than a year. Many older than two (depending on how often the company gives you a discount on a new phone...and then have to assume they didn't get the most brand new phone two years ago when they chose it).
    those coming from verizon blackberrys will love this feature. Its a pain having to manually split texts.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast