Droid Incredible Tips & Tricks Thread

eckster

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Of course EVRC-B will sound better. It is a new vocoder that is more efficient and sounds better. The problem you have is that not all cell towers support EVRC-B, especially the older towers. If you are on an EVRC-B call and move to an area where there is EVRC only, then the call will drop if you have you phone configured for EVRC-B only. The best bet is to leave this function alone and allow Verizon to deal with it. The overall gain in call quality is not worth the risk of dropped calls.

RK73

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Of course EVRC-B will sound better. It is a new vocoder that is more efficient and sounds better. The problem you have is that not all cell towers support EVRC-B, especially the older towers. If you are on an EVRC-B call and move to an area where there is EVRC only, then the call will drop if you have you phone configured for EVRC-B only. The best bet is to leave this function alone and allow Verizon to deal with it. The overall gain in call quality is not worth the risk of dropped calls.

Thank you! This is a nice clarification!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a BIG improvement with the EVRC-B. The caller's voice clarity is much better. Haven't droped any calls, except in the usual areas where there's no signal.

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I live in a more Rural area. I guess the take-away from this is taht if you live in a pretty urban area, this might be a great idea. If you're more "out of the way", it's more harm than good. At least until all the infrastrucutre upgrades are done.

chiriru

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for this one! It was driving me nuts thinking I had to delete each e-mail seperately!
I couldn't have said it better myself! To date I have been deleting each email one at a time and it was getting very tiring, so I second the 'thanks!', Limjelo...

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just discovered this tip by accident, apologies if this has been posted before: If you long-press the home key, you get a pop-up of apps that are open that you can cycle through - kind of like pressing and holding the blackberry key on bb's... ;)

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Combine Google's GVENT texting with Voice typing to add stuff to your calendar.

A little known feature of Google calendar is that you can send text messages to GVENT (48367) to add calendar events. Send a message that can be parsed as a calendar reminder, e.g. "Pickup kids from camp at 2pm tomorrow" and you'll get that calendar event added to your Google calendar.

Combine this with the magic of voice on your Incredible by using your favorite Text engine (Handcent is mine) Voice entry (on Handcent, you need to click the menu button to see voice entry) and you'll have a nice way to voice enter calendar entries.

Update:

I played with this a little more today, using VLingo now that it's free to send calendar items to my "Magic Calendar" contact. I discovered that you can also add location information to your GVent text. So you can say or text things like, "Pick George up at Laguardia Airport, 9pm tomorrow." (note: the "at" is significant. It's used for location parsing so if you have a location, don't put it in front of the time or Gvent will misparse).

What's awesome here is that the location is picked up and added to the calendar entry, so now you can visit the calendar entry later and show the Google Maps location. Outfit your Google Maps with the "Bubble Buttons" (Menu->Labs, click "Bubble Buttons") from Google Labs and your map location will have buttons to phone the location, see it's Places entry (if applicable), and Navigate to it with turn-by-turn spoken directions!

Be sure to speak clearly if using voice entry. I had some hilarious voice recog misunderstandings when trying to enter, "Honda of Mount Kisco" today.

I liked this so much I sent it to lifehacker today. :)

Last edited:

OldSchool

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Combine Google's GVENT texting with Voice typing to add stuff to your calendar.

A little known feature of Google calendar is that you can send text messages to GVENT (48367) to add calendar events. Send a message that can be parsed as a calendar reminder, e.g. "Pickup kids from camp at 2pm tomorrow" and you'll get that calendar event added to your Google calendar.

Combine this with the magic of voice on your Incredible by using your favorite Text engine (Handcent is mine) Voice entry (on Handcent, you need to click the menu button to see voice entry) and you'll have a nice way to voice enter calendar entries.

Nice tip Technomom!

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Going beyond 7 home screens.

Feeling squeezed into 7 home screens?

A couple of suggestions to expand your horizons:

- Install QuickDesk - awesome little tool that does one thing and one thing only, it provides a semi-transparent home screen that you can activate with a double click on the home or search button. Put your power widget and other utility widgets on it so that you don't need to leave what you're doing to turn on the wireless or bluetooth.

- Install Executive Assistant - the lock page lets you add widgets & shortcuts to it.

- Install Smart Shortcuts - This neat little tool lets you tag apps, bookmarks and contacts grouping them into shortcuts like "Communications", "Games", "Social". Then you can add those shortcuts onto your homescreen, something like Folders but with many to many mapping.

- Install Multicon - This is nifty, it allows you to combine up to 4 icons into the space of a single icon, quadrupling the number of things you can typically put on a single homescreen.

Still need more?
Finally, you can install Home Switcher along with another Launcher, e.g. LauncherPro, giving you another 7 screens to play with! Use Home Switcher to switch between your HTC Sense UI and LauncherPro. This can be a little flaky though as Sense UI tries to take over after your device goes to sleep but you can always bring up Home Switcher again.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Getting Swype to work with Froyo

After installing Froyo, you probably noticed that Swype doesn't work after a reboot. You don't need to redownload the beta apk. Here are two solutions:
  • 1: If you need to turn off your phone for some reason (like bump charging), then go into Settings > Language and Keyboard and uncheck Swype before powering down. When you boot back up, you'll need to go into there and check Swype. It should work now (after you set Swype as the default Input Type).
  • 2: If you forget to uncheck Swype before rebooting, just go into the same location, uncheck Swype and exit out, then check it again to re-enable it. Now it should work again.

Reactions: junipertodd

volsfan31

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
so this may be a very ******ed question, but i am new to having the htc driod incredible by verizon and i was wondering how it is that i can turn off a ringer when the phone is still in the holster. any help would be appreciated.

PinayMonkey

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Warning, if you have alarms setuped, using Advanced task killer will close the alarm program.

I found something intresting, if you put Advanced Task killer inside a folder, when you click on the app, a screen will show with all open apps to select which app(s) you want to kill, and also if you click menu you can setup the task killer app to which actions you want --- While if the task app is on the home screen it will just kill all apps

I have noticed from playing with ATK that if you put the APP on one of your home screens versus a WIDGET it will always pull up the ATK "select apps to kill" screen. From here you can check/uncheck all the apps you want killed when you use ATK. I un-selected Clock, ESPN score center, radio, etc - basically things I don't want killed when I use it. It works flawlessly and it won't ever kill anything you un-select. So once you go in and set it, you can add the WIDGET to your homescreen instead of adding the app then when you touch ATK it will auto-kill whatever apps you have selected. Then you don't have to open ATK each time or worry. Hope this helps! :)

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Having a Problem with Duplicate or Hidden Contacts?

If you have odd duplicate entries, or you have to do a manual search for certain contacts, then the problem is likely that they are in a separate contact storage location. Most likely is that you are only displaying "Google" (Gmail) contacts in the People application and are not displaying "Phone" contacts, but you have somehow added some "Phone" contacts by mistake.

Open the People application. Hit Menu > View. Phone is not checked, is it? I suggest checking only Phone. Now you can review all those "Phone" contacts in the People application. I would then open Gmail (on the web) and go into your contacts. Then, as you go through the "Phone" contacts on your phone, add them or merge them into your Gmail contacts on the web (this is manual data entry, but you should only have to do it once). As you place the correct entry into Gmail, delete the contact from the People application on your phone. When you are done with all of that, your "Phone" contacts should be empty and all of those entries have been added manually into your web gmail. It should be syncing them down to your phone as you go.

Now, you can go back into Menu > View, uncheck "Phone" and check "Google." You should see all of your contacts in the scroll list.

I have about 359 contacts, and 100+ FB contacts. I don't have any duplicates.

Last edited:
Reactions: crunchcg and DibDab

tonyinorlando

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
pdanet fix

Haven't been able to tether with pdanet (on a Vista 32 machine) since Froyo update on my Droid Incredible (getting error: USB Connection Dropped, code=1). Also, I haven't been able to use Windows Explorer to view files on the DInc when connected by USB (would usually just freeze the computer). I found the following on the pdanet website that solved both problems:

USB Connection Dropped, code=1
This error can be caused by various scenarios. See below for details.

First of all make sure the USB connection is secured on both sides and see if it helps.

If you have a Verizon Incredible phone and have updated to Froyo (Android 2.2), the new update opens a CD ROM image on your computer to promote the Verizon Vcast Media Manager which interferes with the PdaNet connection. You should turn it off with the following steps:

Dial ##7764726
Hit Call
Type Password 000000
Hit Feature Settings
Choose CD ROM
Hit Disable
Hit menu, commit modifications

Now when you plugin your phone again, PdaNet should start working.

If you experience this error as soon as the phone display goes off, or if PdaNet simply disappears on your phone when connection dropped, try to make sure you do not have any Task Manager software on your phone that will terminate applications when display goes off.

If you receive this error after PdaNet has been connected for a while, try to see if this helps: on the computer go to Start->Programs->PdaNet for Android and select "Install Legacy USB Driver". Wait for it to complete and reconnect your phone.