Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts

Default What Insurance is everyone using?

I currently have a BB Storm and have had Assurion Insurance on it. I have never had to file a claim. Since I purchased my Storm, I have heard that Assurion raised their rates and deductible. I was thinking about going to Squaretrade for my Incredible and dropping Assurion. I was also going to call my American Family agent to see if they offer any type of phone insurance and of course cost. I have read on some boards that State Farms offers this type of insurance, so I figured it was worth a try. Just wondering what everyone else is going to do in this area? Thanks

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

insurance is a waste of money. pay the extra $70 bucks for the phone and do a 1 year upgrade. this way you can get a new phone every 10 months and your phone is never out of warranty. the only thing you have to worry about then is anything you do to it. if you still want to get "insurance" on it try going through your homeowners policy. most insurance companies wont insure just a phone but they will put a provision on your current policy to include your phone.

i saw verizon's add on options when i just ordered mine and it gives you 30 days to add it so i declined. i'm disappointed you are not guaranteed a NEW device if yours breaks and you make a claim. i do NOT want a repaired device after paying a monthly fee. anyone have any positive or negative experiences with verizon offered insurance policies?

Quote Originally Posted by skimanb2333 View Post
    i saw verizon's add on options when i just ordered mine and it gives you 30 days to add it so i declined. i'm disappointed you are not guaranteed a NEW device if yours breaks and you make a claim. i do NOT want a repaired device after paying a monthly fee. anyone have any positive or negative experiences with verizon offered insurance policies?
    I have a 16 year old son. So far, it's worked really well when we have made a claim; we received back what certainly appeared to be brand-new handsets the next day. That said, I am thinking of switching to something else, like Squaretrade. Our homeowners policy will not cover portable electronics at all.

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gt3dan View Post
    insurance is a waste of money. pay the extra $70 bucks for the phone and do a 1 year upgrade. this way you can get a new phone every 10 months and your phone is never out of warranty. the only thing you have to worry about then is anything you do to it. if you still want to get "insurance" on it try going through your homeowners policy. most insurance companies wont insure just a phone but they will put a provision on your current policy to include your phone.
    I thought it was another $70 too for doing just a 1-yr VZW contract, but if you go online, the Incredible is only $30 more for $229 I like it! Plus with the way Smartphones are coming out, there will be something else to make the INC "obsolete" in another year. I think the INC will last more than the 6month life cycle, but we'll see..

How much are the monthly fees for the VZW insurance? Isn't there a 1.99 or a 7.99 option?

Quote Originally Posted by happygilmore527 View Post
    How much are the monthly fees for the VZW insurance? Isn't there a 1.99 or a 7.99 option?
    There is simple insurance at 1.99, Asurion at 6.00 and Total Equipment Coverage (WPP + Extended Warranty), Advanced Devices at 7.99. I always went with Asurion, but come to find out it cost me 50 dollars to get a new voyager.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

It will be $89 to get a new Incredible with Asurion.
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

There is a retailer near me that offers their own in store protection. Basically for a phone like the incredible, it would be $100 to cover it for 2 years (you pay up front) and then if anything happens to the device, literally anything, it's $39 to replace and get a new one (they only stock new phones) from their shelves.

Pricier up front, but cheaper in the long run, and you always get a new phone instead of a used one. Asurion is horrible. Only get the insurance through them if you have no other options.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

I have the Asurion insurance. I pay the $7.99 a month fee for it which includes an extra year of extended warranty. I had my Storm 1 stolen and I got online with Asurion and paid $50 and got my new phone the next day. I will keep paying for the insurance because I believe it is worth it.

i'm going to have to agree with vladfan. i think its just fine and it comes the next day ! i have 0 problems with Asurion.

What's the deal with the simple insurance for 1.99? Does that extend the Verizon coverage on it?

Hey, there's a 30% off deal for the SquareTrade warranty (use coupon LOVEMOM) - you can get the usually $144 price for a 2-year warranty for just $104 - I used this for my KindleDX in the past and it works well. It covers damage from drops etc. after the initial 30days, covers defects of any kind immediately. I'm not a SquareTrade affiliate of any sort or trying to sell on you on this deal - just letting everybody know of an option.