Screen Glare on the new Incredible

dekend

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have read on a couple reviews that the new screen on the Incredible device is very prone to screen glares in comparison to TFT LCD screens. I was wondering if anyone with experience with the new AMOLED screen (Nexus One) would comment on how bad it really is in daylight.

Thanks and looking forward to the replies.

Snipperdo17

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It seems a lot of people have complained about that, but I don't really use my phone in direct sunlight too much so I'm not worried about it.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
At first I thought the Incredible wasn't as bad. Had the N1 at my usual setting, about 25%, and the Incredible was on auto-brightness. But crank them both up to full brightness, and they both disappeared outdoors.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
shouldn't upping the brightness help with the sunlight viewing issues of amoled screens?

i can mostly use my zune if i have it set to high, anything lower in direct sun and forget about it.

or did i read it wrong? :)

Syco54645

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
At first I thought the Incredible wasn't as bad. Had the N1 at my usual setting, about 25%, and the Incredible was on auto-brightness. But crank them both up to full brightness, and they both disappeared outdoors.

See this isnt ideal for me as I spend a great deal of time outdoors and I intend to use the GPS on the phone to replace my aging TomTom One...

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Even my LCD LG Dare mostly disappears in direct sunlight. Can only get so much brightness out of these screens without destroying the battery. With the energy savings of the AMOLED screens, I'd expect to start seeing them show up on other devices, such as tables and GPS units.

Best thing to do is wait until they come out, find a friend who gets one, and check it out for yourself. Only you can decide if it is acceptable to you or not.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
From reviews I've read, the N1 and Incredible share the exact same screen, and also share the exact same sunlight viewing issues. Sucks, but I'm going to learn to live with it or, if it's really that bad, I'll return the phone. Something tells me it will be fine.

Syco54645

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
From reviews I've read, the N1 and Incredible share the exact same screen, and also share the exact same sunlight viewing issues. Sucks, but I'm going to learn to live with it or, if it's really that bad, I'll return the phone. Something tells me it will be fine.

+1
I don't think it could be as bad as people are making this out to be...

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it can be pretty bad. it just depends on your specific situation.

but it's not terrible, and for most people, solutions can be found. (using a hand to shade the screen works pretty well)

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I was at the beach over the weekend with my Droid and the glare was pretty bad. I turned the brightness up and I could see things well enough to communicate. I'm not sure if there's a solution for this short of blowing up the Sun.

throbinskin

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Verizon will let me take one outside before I purchase it? Their phones are usually attached to a anti theft cable at my store. I will find a solution for this if it is a problem seeing outdoors !!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
On my Droid I turn up the brightness and it works fine and I know the screens are not the same but another trick is to use a light color wallpaper.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the Droid now and can get by with it. Is the screen on the Incredible different than the screen on the Droid ? Anyone know ?

What about using in a bright room ? Is the problem only outside ?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the Droid now and can get by with it. Is the screen on the Incredible different than the screen on the Droid ? Anyone know ?

What about using in a bright room ? Is the problem only outside ?

Yeah, they have different technologies. The screen on the Incredible is AMOLED and the Droid is LCD/TFT (or whatever). AMOLED has been criticized specifically with their direct sunlight viewing problems (Stoked that the EVO is TFT, as I live in Hell and like to go to the beach and stuff). The Samsung phone coming out says it doesn't have that problem (Super AMOLED), but I'll believe it when I see it.

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I also heard part of the issue on these AMOLED screens is caused by the latest Android 2.1 update. I'm not sure if it has to do with the actual brightness on the screen or the clarity issues they were talking about, but it may be a software issue that is going to get worked out with future revisions.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I also heard part of the issue on these AMOLED screens is caused by the latest Android 2.1 update. I'm not sure if it has to do with the actual brightness on the screen or the clarity issues they were talking about, but it may be a software issue that is going to get worked out with future revisions.

the issues you are (most likely) referring to were dealing with acuraccy / multitouch, the visibility of AMOLED screens in direct sunlight is a hardware related thing.

if you go to a vzw store (after release), i'm sure an employee will have an incredible of their own that it's attached to the display, and they'd probably be more than happy to walk outside with you and let you see how it looks...

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
+1
I don't think it could be as bad as people are making this out to be...
Believe me, I have an N1, and it's not as bad as people say. When I'm outside I turn auto-brightness on and can see the screen just fine. And I live in the sunny South! I'd be willing to bet that for every 1 person who says the screen is a problem their are 10 who will tell you it's no problem. But the ones who have issues are posting on forums, while those who don't are playing with their phones. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21