Incredible for Work?

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been a BB user for many years, but the slow operating system on the Storm is making me want to jump ship to the Incredible. I know the BB's are the best for work related functions i.e. email sync, calendars, tasks, microsoft attachments, and ect;. My question is can I get away with using the Incredible for work and play?

I have to have my work email and calendar...

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
how is your work email and calendar setup? the incredible can sync with exchange accounts pretty well and emails are pushed with them (basically as fast as blackberrys)

it really just depends on how much work you do and how complex it is

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Jrid32 - welcome to A/C. Check out the cross gadgets sub forum. There are tons of ex BB users starting threads that have asked the same question - which have also been answered. I think you'll find some good info in there.

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Jrid32 - welcome to A/C. Check out the cross gadgets sub forum. There are tons of ex BB users starting threads that have asked the same question - which have also been answered. I think you'll find some good info in there.

Thanks Cory, I will check it out. Old Crackberry.com member just trying to learn my way around Android Central...

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
storm 1 user here making the switch too! been waiting a long time for this phone to come out so i can finally drop the storm.

my only question is why verizon has two different email options... one said personal email and one says work and personal. do you need to pay the 10 extra bucks to get the ms exchange compatibility? that seems rather stupid if it's built into the phone.

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It's Verizon, so we'll have to pay the extra $10;).

storm 1 user here making the switch too! been waiting a long time for this phone to come out so i can finally drop the storm.

my only question is why verizon has two different email options... one said personal email and one says work and personal. do you need to pay the 10 extra bucks to get the ms exchange compatibility? that seems rather stupid if it's built into the phone.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It's Verizon, so we'll have to pay the extra $10;).

you shouldn't have to pay any additional fee for Exchange email. i'm a sys admin at my work and we use Exchange for web mail. basically all mobile phones (WinMo, Android, iPhone) that use Exchange/Outlook for email don't do anything special to retrieve the email. they use the same web mail address that you would in a web browser. so if your company is Android Central and your sys admin sets up your email server name to be "email" then your web mail address would most likely be "email.androidcentral.com". so if you were an employee, you would just go to https://email.androidcentral.com and put in your user name and password given to you by the sys admin. on your new android phone or iphone or whatever it is...you just put the same creds into the mail app and you get email.

SO...what im saying is that in setting up 2 Droid's and 3 iPhones here at my work with our Exchange webmail, all 5 employees said that they both Verizon and ATT tried to sell them the "business data plan so they could access work email". that's a load of BS. the business data plan just gives you VPN access if your routers allow that. so it comes down to this:

Microsoft Exchange + basic data plan = Exchange email on your phone

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yea, iirc the $10 extra ($15?) has to do with verizon managing the servers for the company regarding exchange.

so far, the only people i've known that were paying the extra fee were ones with company phones and were being reimbursed for it by their work.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, you can definitely use Active Sync on the 29.99 plan. Also from reports, the HTC email app on the Incredible natively supports exchange security policies and remote wipe so you don't have to spend the extra money on the Touchdown For Exchange app for those features unlike devices like the Droid.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
one thing i just heard that should be good to hear for business users....is that the Incredible's Exchange "security policies" allow for users to set Out of Office status from the phone! that may not seem like a big deal, but for me personally, im forever forgetting to set my Out of Office. good stuff.

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
sadly... i can't get exchange set up. my work doesn't support anything other than blackberry and so they won't help me and when i try to set up i get a message saying

Your Microsoft Exchange Server account does not have permission to synchronize with your current settings. Contact your Exchange Server administrator.

Sucks for me. Any other way I can pull my email? Even if it's not pushed... I'd still like to get it on the phone.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
sadly... i can't get exchange set up. my work doesn't support anything other than blackberry and so they won't help me and when i try to set up i get a message saying

Sucks for me. Any other way I can pull my email? Even if it's not pushed... I'd still like to get it on the phone.

Set up a rule and forward your email.

A couple of notes...don't try to "reply" to a forwarded email...it'll go right back into your work's inbox.

Make sure it's OK to forward your email with your bosses.

I had to do this with the Blackberry because my company is too cheap to buy a BES license.

abdroidq

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the incredible and LOVE the phone. Our work has MS exchange 2003. I have e-mail working great both directly with the phone, as well as with a trial version of Touchdown. Touchdown had added the functionality of to do's, meeting reminders, etc. **For security purposes, I may have to return the Incredible IF we can't remote wipe the phone. I've researched everywhere. Some say you can - but the "how to" isn't laid out. Even touchdown says you can, but the "how to" isn't laid out either. My IT guy requires me to prove this to him. I know 'thegrumpyyoungman" mentioned setting up a few droids on hi company's exchange server. Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated.

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
We have 2003. If by Wipe you mean have all the contacts cleared, that works too well. We have had come uses have their phone cleared of contacts because they were unable to communicate to the OWA server. Not sure if it wiped email because I have not seen it do it.

Not using touchdown. didn't work on the incredible (screen was weird unreadable, cleared as you looked at longer messages). Lack of ANY response from them for support clinched that as a non-app. Tried Moxier too.. but seemed to be missing features that the plain HTC Mail had, a step backwards.

itch808

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm an Incredible user who likes to have his cake and eat it too :)

I'm not in the corporate business field though, I'm in Healthcare. I just use google calender to put in patient appointments. My work email works fine as I do not use outloook. It's also nice to see how well implemented Google Voice is into android compared to BB (I'm a previous BB user) since I use GV to manage patient calls/voicemails from my phone.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Krelvinaz,

I had the same problem with Touchdown initially that you did...then I discovered that there are two Touchdown installations. One for Touchdown 2.0 and later and another for legacy versions. Touchdown 2.0 works perfectly for me. It handles the security requirements for Wipe and Password without any setup. It even addresses an issue with sent email formatting(something to do with mime) that was preventing me from sending email from the HTC client.

One of my favorite features is that I only have to enter a password at login to Touchdown, not when coming out of sleep for the phone. I know there are utilities that override the password need, but I'd rather keep my corporate mail secure. I wouldn't want to be the "that guy!"

Steve in CT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969