[Comm Rom 2.0 & 2.1 OC/UV] OTB v1.5 & v1.6 OC / UV. Discuss!

islanq

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello AC Community! Long time lurker, first time poster. I got my Fascinate about 2 months ago, been in love ever since. I soft bricked my phone literally less then 2 hours after taking it out of the box which quickly lead me to our wonderful forum. Slowly but surely learning all the ins and outs of the beast that is our glorious little Samsung phone.

I'm currently running UKB 2.1 w/ OTB 1.6 Kernel

All link credit to AC forum member: JaeKar99 which can be found on his stickied thread here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
UKB 2.0 with OTB 1.5 Voodoo Kernel - Download
md5: 5118f303b7b32c080c1a7331ca34b936

UKB 2.0 w/ out Kernel - Download
md5: 6e982ed5c98f25383fc80ce1fd48bc6d

CommROM 2.1 Patch - No wipe needed. Must be flashed over CommROM 2.0 - Downlaod

OTB v1.6 Kernel - Download
XDA Forum Original Content Link - Here
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that all the props have been handed out and information to get you up to speed, let's discuss!

I'm currently Able to OC to 1400mhz w/ rock solid stability, the "sleep issue" seems to have gone away with the OTB v1.6 kernel as oppose to the v1.5 that came in CommRom 2.0.

My current OC + UV settings are as follows:

I/O Scheduler: CFQ (I have found that BFQ, Deadline, and SIO cause more hangs ups)
CPU Governor: On Demand (Conservative almost guarantees no issues, however, on demand makes my phone feel MUCH snappier).

1400Mhz @ uV - 25 = 1350mV
1300Mhz @ uV - 50 = 1275mV
1200Mhz @ uV - 50 = 1250mV
1000Mhz @ uV - 50 = 1225mV
800Mhz @ uV - 50 = 1150mV
400Mhz @ uV - 75 = 975mV
200Mhz @ uV - 75 = 875mV

I chose to disable the 600Mhz as many members on XDA (including myself) where having common freeze issues w/ this step enabled. I also eliminated 100Mhz as sometimes this would put my phone into a COMA rather then a "deep sleep" state requiring a battery pull.

I have also come to realize the less jumping around you do with the UV (ie. -25 uV between a few steps) allows for more stability with "On Demand" CPU Gov. which many running this kernel connect even run. This doesn't seem to have such as great of an impact while using the "Conservative" CPU Gov, however, does not provide the same performance during real world usage like I have found On Demand to provide me with.

Note: In case you didn't catch it, I'm using Voltage Control Lite (pre-installed into Comm Rom 2.0).

Here are images for you visual people out there.

I/O Scheduler & CPU Gov.
B5Ivg.jpg

Advanced VC Tab (Step enabling / UV Controls)
JgYZ6.jpg

PKwyP.jpg

Finally my Quadrant score (I realize this isn't a super accurate way to rate real world usage, however, it does provide a nice ference point for your OC + UV adjustments)
BJD3Q.jpg

@ 1,977

I'm struggling to break the 2,000+ barrier I have seem to hit. So, with that said here are some questions for discussion.

- I have noticed some people on XDA are using Tegrak Over Clock (Ultimate) to achieve much higher and more stable OC's and UV. This is is mainly because Tegrak give your the ability to control the INTERNAL voltage (which VC lite does not) as well. Anyone have any experience with this app? I'm having trouble setting my OC + UV w/ it even after wiping voltage settings via Clock Work Recovery.

- I'm rock solid with the above mentioned settings, not even a camera lag issue (common when using the OTB v1.6 kernel). However, as soon as I apply 1500Mhz via VC Lite or Tegrak I immediately freeze regardless of the I/O Schedule, CPU Gov, UV over/under, etc... Can someone shed a little more light on this?

I encourage you guys to post your OC + UV settings w/ this Kernel so we can have a little collection / database of commonly stable settings.

Thanks for looking and contributing, and again, a big thanks to all the developers for their hard work and support w/ this awesome kernel & rom! :)

Last edited:

islanq

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
here is another thread that discusses the voltage settings for many other users: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...oms-hacks/79749-voltage-control-settings.html

Personally. UV was a nonstarter for me. It was the only think that my fassy hated. No matter what settings I would use, it ended in a battery pull after a few hours at most.

Totally understandable. Sometimes it's not even the hardware per se'. Not all batteries are equal. I never let my battery usually hit lower then 25%, however, I was running calibration last night and wanted it to go to 0%. I noticed that at lower battery I was running into a lot of random freezes last night.

Current readjusted settings are:

Scheduler: CFQ
CPU Gov: On Demand

1300 - 25mV
1200 - 25mV
1000 - 50mV
800 - 50mV
400 - 75mV
200 - 75mV

Note: Even just changing the CPU governor to On Demand @ stock 1000Mhz clock speed makes the phone feel must quicker. Why don't you try this with a modest under volt of -25 mV. I think you will be pleased with the performance and get a little more extended battery life. Worth a shot. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC