Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM7

Default Cyanogen 7 vs KangBang 2.1

Im debating between these two. Any one have some input. I was going to do the Gingerbang but i wanted to steer clear of any SD card issues. From what I understand, Cyanogen 7 doesn't have that issue even though its the leaked gingerbread?

I just don't want to deal with too many bugs, but I want the most out of my phone. Suggestions?

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Default Re: Cyanogen 7 vs KangBang 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by Jgonzo1299 View Post
    Im debating between these two. Any one have some input. I was going to do the Gingerbang but i wanted to steer clear of any SD card issues. From what I understand, Cyanogen 7 doesn't have that issue even though its the leaked gingerbread?

I just don't want to deal with too many bugs, but I want the most out of my phone. Suggestions?
    CM7 is not the leak -- it was developed completely independently, based on the AOSP source. So you're correct that it does not have the SD-card issue.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Humble 1.42/PBJ-OTB

That's pretty much what ALL of us want...

it will come down to preference.... try them both, see which suits you best.

There is and never will be the "perfect ROM for everyone", it comes down to what you like and what your phone can handle
    If someone helps you out, don't forget to use the "thanks" button!

Both are great builds. Since moving up to CM7 I have not had one force close and my 3G signal is solid. This was exactly what my device needed.

Of course keeping in mind all devices perform different and personal preference are the two main factors in deciding which to go with.

Good luck.
    Steve

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    CM7

Yeah it seems like there's a lot of recent hype about the CM7. I might try that. KangBang has been good to me but I just kept having silly little issues. Then again, Im still on 1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by sfobrien View Post
    Both are great builds. Since moving up to CM7 I have not had one force close and my 3G signal is solid. This was exactly what my device needed.

Of course keeping in mind all devices perform different and personal preference are the two main factors in deciding which to go with.

Good luck.
    Hi sfobrien! I was wondering where I could find a step by step process for CM7? I've only rooted to SC and KG...and CM7 sounds intriguing. Thanks in advance!
    icu

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 11/Tinykernel

I tried to put together some simple instructions, but pay less attention to what I wrote than what I link to, but I do describe what I did and everything went fine.

Cyanogen 7

The only thing that needs to made clear to everyone trying CM7 is that the process to switch back to any other ROM (except MIUI) is a bit complicated - see the sticky over at the XDA forums with instructions.

I was perfectly happy with KB 2.1, but trying the brand new hotness is part of the fun of owning these phones imo - you just have to be cautious. I made a nandroid of my KB 2.1 install so switching back would not be that big of a hassle.

I am having a few FC issues, but I think it may be because I restored apps/data from Titanium? Still, no reboots or freezes and only a few minor bugs. If I was happy before I'm even more happier.
    Thanked by:

The KB 2.1 and EC09 leak are both notoriously bad on SD cards (thanks, most likely, to bugs in the kernel that simply cant be fixed without the source) so if you want my opinion CM7 is the way to go. Having a completely unreliable (or even completely ruined) local storage just isn't any fun.

Quote Originally Posted by icu View Post
    I am having a few FC issues, but I think it may be because I restored apps/data from Titanium? .
    You are probably correct.
    Steve

ROM
    CM7n64/stock

Quote Originally Posted by icu View Post
    I tried to put together some simple instructions, but pay less attention to what I wrote than what I link to, but I do describe what I did and everything went fine.

Cyanogen 7

The only thing that needs to made clear to everyone trying CM7 is that the process to switch back to any other ROM (except MIUI) is a bit complicated - see the sticky over at the XDA forums with instructions.

I was perfectly happy with KB 2.1, but trying the brand new hotness is part of the fun of owning these phones imo - you just have to be cautious. I made a nandroid of my KB 2.1 install so switching back would not be that big of a hassle.

I am having a few FC issues, but I think it may be because I restored apps/data from Titanium? Still, no reboots or freezes and only a few minor bugs. If I was happy before I'm even more happier.
    I had to redo the install due to a bunch of FC's and other error messages in CWM, and the process to go back to stock is really not that hard or complicated. Also heard that TiB saved apps under TW/Froyo can be problematic so when I did get back in, I just dl'd them all down through marketplace. Once all were good and running, did a backup of them with TiB so I have a cm based backup with no leftovers from Froyo/TW.

I like this ROM. Yes, it is missing some of the eye-candy and conveniences from KB, but they will come, just like comrom and kb were ongoing works as well. It flies, I mean it really flies.

Today I will be receiving a totally fresh phone from Verizon, since my current Fascinate is giving me nothing but grief. I have made a complete nandroid backup and am currently running SC 2.9.2. If I am wanting to switch to CM7, as it seems to be the "new" fast thing, how much hassle would this be? I've seen numerous people mention that you need atlastpit (sp), and that you must repartition your phone. I've never tampered with partitions before, and can't seem to find the atlas file people are talking about. A quick step by step guide would be great. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and hoping to have my phone up and running and better than before. Thanks again!
    Last edited by drjohnson89; 07-21-2011 at 01:48 PM.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by drjohnson89 View Post
    Today I will be receiving a totally fresh phone from Verizon, since my current Fascinate is giving me nothing but grief. I have made a complete nandroid backup and am currently running SC 2.9.2. If I am wanting to switch to CM7, as it seems to be the "new" fast thing, how much hassle would this be? I've seen numerous people mention that you need atlastpit (sp), and that you must repartition your phone. I've never tampered with partitions before, and can't seem to find the atlas file people are talking about. A quick step by step guide would be great. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and hoping to have my phone up and running and better than before. Thanks again!
    Yeah i never did the atlas thing either. I just reverted back to stock DI01 and then OTA'd up to ED04 then installed CM7 with the OP's instructions.

The ROM runs fine, other than battery goes really quick. But i expect that for the first few days. Am I in the clear? Does anyone know?

Yeah i never did the atlas thing either. I just reverted back to stock DI01 and then OTA'd up to ED04 then installed CM7 with the OP's instructions.

The ROM runs fine, other than battery goes really quick. But i expect that for the first few days. Am I in the clear? Does anyone know?
    I got the rom onto my phone sucessfully, and installed the google apps, but am still missing my Android Market. It's nowhere to be found anywhere on my phone, making it completely pointless. If anyone has any ideas that would be great, otherwise I'll be going back to SC 2.9.2.

Going to CM7 from a TW rom does not require the atlas.pit file and repartitioning...going back to a TW based rom does however.
    Thanked by: