How to return to stock, update, then root again

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I know that what I am asking in buried in many threads but I need clarification as I don't want to mess up. I have used ODIN to install rooted stock ROMS twice. I currently have build ED01 but with the EC09 modem.

I would like to return to stock, do all of the OTA updates to ED05 (just out), then re-root the stock ED05. I don't wish for a custom ROM or anything.

What steps do I need to follow to do this? Can I do it with ODIN?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know that what I am asking in buried in many threads but I need clarification as I don't want to mess up. I have used ODIN to install rooted stock ROMS twice. I currently have build ED01 but with the EC09 modem.

I would like to return to stock, do all of the OTA updates to ED05 (just out), then re-root the stock ED05. I don't wish for a custom ROM or anything.

What steps do I need to follow to do this? Can I do it with ODIN?

Flash the full DL09 file in the PDA section of ODIN and then OTA up from there:

http://adrynalyne.us/files/stuff/CI500_VZW_DL09_ECLAIR.tar.md5

Reactions: anub

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, I appreciate your help! Question though, how do I re-root after that? I want to keep the ED05 stock but root it.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, I appreciate your help! Question though, how do I re-root after that? I want to keep the ED05 stock but root it.

just install any rooted rom of choice (ComRom 2.0 or CM7 are the two most popular right now)

you will keep the ED05 radio

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
just install any rooted rom of choice (ComRom 2.0 or CM7 are the two most popular right now)

you will keep the ED05 radio
No, I don't want a custom ROM. I want stock and then want to just root it. That is what I am asking. Can anyone tell me how to just root my phone after I return to stock?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have been reading and found this posted by Sheepdog Elite

This process will establish root on your phone. For other methods please see this threads master thread

To establish root you'll need to boot into CWM.

If you are following the guide beginning to end you'll need to reinsert your phones battery.

1. With the phone powered off press and hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons simultaneously. Hold the buttons until the samsung logo comes up, then goes black, then comes back up. Release the buttons now and you'll enter CWM.
2. Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
3. Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
4. Scroll down to your "roms" folder, and hit the power button.
5. Scroll down to the su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip file and hit the power button.

After the file has finished installing you can hit the menu button to back out to the main clockwork recovery menu. Do not reboot your phone at this point if you want to flash a Rom or Kernel. Rebooting your phone will replace the CWM we flashed with the stock recovery.

If you just wanted to root you phone you can now reboot.

Is this what I want to do and if so, what zip file do I use to simply root, nothing else?

Reactions: kandrelly

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have been reading and found this posted by Sheepdog Elite

This process will establish root on your phone. For other methods please see this threads master thread

To establish root you'll need to boot into CWM.

If you are following the guide beginning to end you'll need to reinsert your phones battery.

1. With the phone powered off press and hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons simultaneously. Hold the buttons until the samsung logo comes up, then goes black, then comes back up. Release the buttons now and you'll enter CWM.
2. Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
3. Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.
4. Scroll down to your "roms" folder, and hit the power button.
5. Scroll down to the su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip file and hit the power button.

After the file has finished installing you can hit the menu button to back out to the main clockwork recovery menu. Do not reboot your phone at this point if you want to flash a Rom or Kernel. Rebooting your phone will replace the CWM we flashed with the stock recovery.

If you just wanted to root you phone you can now reboot.

Is this what I want to do and if so, what zip file do I use to simply root, nothing else?

First, ODIN the CWR (tar file, not zip) from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942021

Then, do this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...d-post-1-before-posting-forum.html#post700079 the download link for the superuser + busybox zip is at the top of the post.

Basically... download the zip... put it on your SD card.... boot into CWR.... flash the zip.

Reactions: kandrelly

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
First, ODIN the CWR (tar file, not zip) from this thread: [RECOVERY] [3/30/11] Updated ClockworkMod for ALL ROMs - xda-developers

Then, do this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...d-post-1-before-posting-forum.html#post700079 the download link for the superuser + busybox zip is at the top of the post.

Basically... download the zip... put it on your SD card.... boot into CWR.... flash the zip.
Thanks!

Is there, or will there be a ODIN package for ED05 that is stock with root?

This type of ODIN package is what I used twice before to root and does it in one step. Just need one for ED05.

Reactions: semibru

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

Is there, or will there be a ODIN package for ED05 that is stock with root?

I will try and find the link for you...

PS.... dont be shy about hitting the "thanks button" :)

EDIT: here you go.... link to the ED05 stock UNROOTED factory restore (ROM, radio, kernel and recovery)

http://www.multiupload.com/9I7ZBQJF0R (credit goes to pentafive on xda)

then flash the superuser + busybox zip like you did above

this saves you from having to go through the whole OTA process

Enjoy

Last edited:

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I will try and find the link for you...

PS.... dont be shy about hitting the "thanks button" :)

EDIT: here you go.... link to the ED05 stock UNROOTED factory restore (ROM, radio, kernel and recovery)

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! (credit goes to pentafive on xda)

then flash the superuser + busybox zip like you did above

this saves you from having to go through the whole OTA process

Enjoy
Thank you so much, you have been a big help. I guess now I will have to wait until Monday to experiment as I need my phone over the weekend and don't want to risk messing it up.

Robin

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much, you have been a big help. I guess now I will have to wait until Monday to experiment as I need my phone over the weekend and don't want to risk messing it up.

Robin

anytime... and you really cant mess your phone up in this process (unless you decide to unplug your phone from the computer while ODIN is loading the bootloaders)... and it will literally take you 10 - 15 minutes, tops...

takes about 5 - 10 min to ODIN back to stock... a few minutes to boot it up...about 30 seconds to ODIN recovery... then flash the zip. Done and done

Go for it

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Tomorrow I am planning of flashing back to DL09 stock. Letting the phone update itself OTA and then re-rooting by installing SU-2.3.6.`+busybox 1.19.zip. If I am understanding all this correctly I will then have the current software that Verizon has released for the Fascinate (ED05) and will be stock rooted. This is what I want.

Now one further question. Once I am on the stock ED05 and rooted, is there a simple way to un-root without flashing once again back to D09 and going through all of the updates again? I am guessing there is not but I want to be sure I am clear on this.

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Tomorrow I am planning of flashing back to DL09 stock. Letting the phone update itself OTA and then re-rooting by installing SU-2.3.6.`+busybox 1.19.zip. If I am understanding all this correctly I will then have the current software that Verizon has released for the Fascinate (ED05) and will be stock rooted. This is what I want.

Now one further question. Once I am on the stock ED05 and rooted, is there a simple way to un-root without flashing once again back to D09 and going through all of the updates again? I am guessing there is not but I want to be sure I am clear on this.

I just went back to stock ED05 (was going to turn in my phone for a Charge..but that ended..go figure) by the same process, (DL09 ota up to ED05), and I have to say I am impressed with the stock ED05 ROM/Kernel/Modem. It runs very smooth. (Haven't rooted, ....yet ;) ) If and when I do, I'll follow sheepdogs thread instructions.

Just wanted to add that in and to answer your question,

I think if I were in your shoes, I would just make a nandroid backup in CWM before flashing the superuser and busy box.zip. If you ever want to un-root you could just restore to that point and it will restore you to un-rooted status (to my knowledge, others feel free to correct.)

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I need some more help please. I have flashed back to DL09 and successfully update OTA to ED05.

Now I am trying to root. When I boot into CWM by holding down the volume up/volume down and power keys and releasing them after the word Samsung has appeared for the second time the utility only has these options:

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition

I am not seeing the option of "install zip from sd card" like the instructions says. What do I need to do? Also hitting the power button does nothing.

ExpertZero

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
when you use a stock rom/kernel CWM does not stick on the phone...so if you want to use CWM you need to flash it with odin before you do the three finger power up. *do not let your phone boot*

so

install zips to sd card.

power down phone.

flash cwm

*do not reboot phone yet*
power on phone with three finger power up

install zips.

"reboot phone now" from cwm.

now you'll be rooted... but again if you want cwm to stick it's only gonna work on a non-stock rom

hope this helps

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your in the stock recovery. Follow these steps.

1. Make sure you have the superuser/busybox.zip on your sdcard.
2. Flash the cwm.tar file in Odin.
3. Put your battery back in and three button push straight to custom recovery. Don't reboot your phone or it will overwrite the custom recovery.
4. Make a nandroid backup in cwm. (Battery must be 95+ percent)
5. Install superuser/busybox.zip.
6. Reboot

ExpertZero

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. What CWM Odin file do I need to flash?

you can use the one from sheepdog's post, found here

i'd keep this on your computer in case you wanna flash anything else. there's a few other cwm types but this one will do what you need.

if you do end up flashing a rom or something in the future just read thru the rom/kernel post and see what cwm they are using cause some take diffrent versions, and it's not a big deal cause you can change cwm in like 7 seconds with odin to whatever you want with no data wipe or anything like that.

if this helps anyone, feel free to hit thanks :D

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I flashed the ODIN CWM, did not restart phone. Held down the vol button with the power button and booted into the recovery mode. Yes, this time it looks a lot different (smile).

But when I try to install the su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip it fails. This is what I am seeing.

-- Installing: SDCARD:ROMS/su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip
Finding update package....
Opening update package....
Verifying update package
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

So now what am I doing wrong? I have not rebooted the phone yet. Is it safe to boot the phone since the zip failed? I am doing NOTHING until someone directs me what to do. I really really appreciate all of the help!

Last edited:

ExpertZero

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
not real sure what's wrong there, usually works fine for me... lets try this, go ahead and boot your phone. pull su-busybox off your sd card... stop usb on phone, unplug phone from computer, reboot.

after phone is back up this time put it on the root of the card (do not put it in a folder, it might make a diffrence it might not).. stop usb, unplug phone, power off. pull battery, open odin, plug phone in (with battery still out) hold down volume button until download mode is on, click pda on odin, select your CWM and hit start...after it's done it should say "pass" (about 5-10 seconds or so) after it passes unplug phone, put battery back in, hold down volume *(both up and down)* and power keys at same time until samsung flashes twice, then let go, you should be in CWM (it will tell you on the top) use the down arrow key to highlight something to the effect of "install zip from sd card" and use power button to make what you highlighted happen.

if this don't help i suggest you read all you can on the rooting post how-first-time-rooting-walkthru and maybe there is something we both missed before someone else steps in and tells us what's going on :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad