Question on flashing rom with clockwork

gulfcoastsurf

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a fascinate that i have rooted and believe i have the clockwork mod red. Did all the steps that i read in the guide my question is what rom would match up to 2.2.2 firmware, kernel version 2.6.32.9 and have ed05 base band version. I have ready many guides and countless websites for about 2 weeks and just want some tips before i go all the way and put a rom on. Also do you have to use odin everytime to pull up the cwm red? I put a file on the sd called rom. Do i just put the rom on the card in the file rom, then flash cwm via odin then wipe data and cache and install or could i just flash a rom with odin

Thanks Gulf Coast SURF

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by "match up to 2.2.2...."? When you flash a new ROM all that information will be updated to what the new ROM will be.

Also, in order to get in to CWM (Recovery) you need to do the following:
1. Take the battery out
2. Put is back in
3. RIGHT AWAY, hold the power button and the volume up and the volume down buttons. Also known as the 3 finger salute.
4. DO NOT release until you see the Samsung logo appear for the second time

This will get you into recovery. If it comes up with the blue recovery you didn't apply the red one correctly.

Reactions: gulfcoastsurf

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Once you have flashed CWM with Odin, it will stay on your phone unless you flash a stock image that replaces the recovery as well. To access CWM, power your phone off (you do not need to remove the battery) then power it back on by holding volume +, volume - and power until you see the Samsung logo. Many custom ROMS and themes have added options in the power menu (when you long press the power button when the phone is running) that add options like reboot and recovery, instead of just power off, silent mode, etc.

When you want to install a ROM, or any zip file that its CWM flashable, you just need to place it on your SD card where you wish (you can dedicate a ROM folder if you want), boot into CWM and select "install zip from sdcard", followed by "choose zip from sdcard", find it, and confirm the installation. As you probably already know, to navigate in CWM, you use the volume buttons to move up and down, and the power button to select.

As far as ROM and kernel versions go, that's all based on the ROM you're running. You'll always see a kernel version of 2.6.32.9 no matter what kernel you have installed at the time. That it just the version of linux based kernels the phone uses. All aftermarket kernels are still based on that version so that number will never change.

You'll notice when you're looking through different ROMs they're based on a certain version like EB01, ED05, etc. This is a code for the release version and date from the manufacturer. The first letter tells you what version of Android the ROM is on (E = 2.2, D = 2.1, etc). The second letter corresponds to the month it was released, and the numbers are the day of that month. For example, DH01 is a 2.1 ROM that was finalized on August 1st (the ROM the phone shipped with on release). The newest official release is ED05, which is a 2.2 based ROM that was released on April 5th. What ROM version you run will determine what you see in the firmware and build sections, the baseband is the modem (or radio) portion of the phone and works the same way. Usually the baseband and build will match, but you can flash them separately and have different versions if you wish.

gulfcoastsurf

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the help, I ended up using this guide [Odin] Froyo leaked packaged custom ROMs w/root and clockwork **UPDATED**3/25 and installed the super clean, I am under the impression that this included the clockwork mod with super clean. Any way it is nice to finally have the phone de binged that was my biggest pet peeve with this phone. Just wanted to thank everyone that help me out as I sure this is not the last rom that i flash.:)

Also I know this comes up all the time but is there ever gonna be a upgrade where the browser will it will read gif files as I always use noaa radar with storm directions while out fishing.

Last edited:

gulfcoastsurf

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Also I try the recovery got the blue screen and appy that update and then went to clockwork mod orange is this ok or should i try to odin red either way i am pretty content just with staying with superclean

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Also I try the recovery got the blue screen and appy that update and then went to clockwork mod orange is this ok or should i try to odin red either way i am pretty content just with staying with superclean

You shouldn't have gotten the blue stock recovery if you installed super clean. It should include a custom kernel that will boot you to CWM and not the stock recovery. You will need to flash this CWM in the PDA section of ODIN:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36791/CWM3_Voodoo.tar.md5

After it finishes, pull the usb cord from your phone, put the battery back in and power up the phone. The CWM should now stick. Actually thinking about it, which package did you use from the thread with the ODIN packages? I will have to take a look at which one you used to make sure those instructions are correct. We may have to have you flash a custom kernel after flashing CWM in ODIN.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante