Will a new Kernel/ROM improve Mobile Data Performance

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What is your current setup? Are you still stock? What build are you running? Have you done a *228 option 2 call recently?

TommyTFC

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm still stock. Yes I've done the *228. I've done a factory reset and re-installed all my apps.

Firmware version 2.2.2
Baseband version S:i500.04 V.ED05
Kernel version 2.6.32.9
Build Number SCH-I500.ED05

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What I would suggest then is to put a mostly stock ROM on your phone and try ODINing the EC09 radio. A lot of people that were having trouble with ED05 have had better results with EC09.

TommyTFC

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Great! Sounds like something worth trying. Is the EC09 radio older than the ED05? I wonder if my phone got updated and that's when the trouble started. I'm thinking about the Powerwashed ROM. I've tried to make some sense of them all and I hear more positive comments about stability with it. I'm open to suggestions on ROMs.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Great! Sounds like something worth trying. Is the EC09 radio older than the ED05? I wonder if my phone got updated and that's when the trouble started. I'm thinking about the Powerwashed ROM. I've tried to make some sense of them all and I hear more positive comments about stability with it. I'm open to suggestions on ROMs.

The EC09 radio is from the Gingerbread leak that came out a few months ago, so it's not something you had and lost with an OTA. Just make sure that you only grab the EC09 radio and not the whole system leak, as it had a tendency to eat SD cards for breakfast...

Powerwashed GB is a good ROM. I've tried almost all of the GB Roms floating around out there and all of them have little bugs and issues that kept me from keeping them, but other people have had no problems, so YMMV. There's also GeeWiz 2.1, which is pretty stable and TSM Resurrection, which is pretty nice and has TouchWiz 4 built in to it. With Resurrection, you have to flash a kernel also, as it doesn't come with one. There's no shortage of Roms out there for our Fassy, so give a few a shot and see what your phone likes the best.

TommyTFC

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Reporting back. Today I took my PWGB Fascinate to work and experienced improved mobile data performance. The trading application that could hardly work before hardly had a hiccup. I'd say it was a success. RadioOpt showed improved download speeds. I suppose it could just be a good day on the network, but there hasn't been one good enough in months for my app to work this well. Time will tell.

Thanks for the help.