Files for Rooting Fascinate

TommyTFC

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried to follow the first time rooting walk-thru carefully step by step and could not boot my phone after odined the supplied CWM tar. If I told it to reboot, the screen would go black and the three buttons at the bottom would stay lit and the phone would never boot. I did not install anything with CWM. Later I found a CWM3_Voodo-blue tar that I could get to boot. It was in blue text.

I have a stock phone and this was my first attempt to root. I want to flash PWGB. Where do I find the right version of CWM? Where do I find a super user file that I can CWM. That link is dead.

Thanks,

Tom

TommyTFC

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
That seems to be the instructions to get PWGB installed but I was trying to root first so I could take a Titanium backup first. Don't I have to root and back up before installing a ROM?

TommyTFC

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks atom, I got root and got TiBU to backup all apps, system and data. I've lost mobile data and wireless connectivity. I've rebooted. Turned airplane mode on and off. I'm surfing for answers. I'm considering just going ahead with the PWGB install and dealing with it later.

I'm keeping a journal of every step just to show the guys at work what all it takes and what all can go wrong.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks atom, I got root and got TiBU to backup all apps, system and data. I've lost mobile data and wireless connectivity. I've rebooted. Turned airplane mode on and off. I'm surfing for answers. I'm considering just going ahead with the PWGB install and dealing with it later.

I'm keeping a journal of every step just to show the guys at work what all it takes and what all can go wrong.

Once you flash the ROM, you should get mobile data and wifi back. Same thing happened to me, I flashed a ROM (GeeWiz Froyo version) and everything has been running great since.

TommyTFC

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Success!!! I'm running PWGB. I ODINed the PWGB tar only. The Kernel number changed from 2.6.32.9 to 2.6.35.7. The PWGB page says it runs on the EH09 kernel and it looks like it installed it. I found one post that related 2.6.35.7 to EH09. Am I running a stock EH09?

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The kernel included with PWGB is a basically stock EH09 kernel. If it works smooth for you, stick with it. I'm currently running TSM Resurrection with the TKSGB 10/27 kernel and it is nice, but there are so many tweaks involved in getting it smooth...

TommyTFC

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
SUCCESS!! I got PWGB installed and have restored all my apps. Spent the weekend tweeking and enjoying my freed Fascinate. I kept a journal of the rooting and ROM installation process. It includes lots of errors, reboots, and hard locks. Thought you might enjoy seeing what it takes for a noob to install a his first ROM.

ODIN would not connect when connected to USB 1.0 port had to use USB 2.0 (I think)
cwm-recovery-ALL.tar would not reboot, looped on boot to itself
cwm-recovery-ALL-3-30-FIX.tar same as cwm-recovery-ALL.tar
CWM3_Voodoo-blue.tar.md5 worked to reboot and to do installs
CWM3_Voodoo-blue.tar.md5 overwritten after reboot (expected)
Could not find su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip anywhere on the web url would not resolve (adrynalyne.us)
After leaving PC overnight attempted to re-ODIN CWM3_Voodoo-blue.tar.md5, spontaneous reboot of the PC
After booting PC successfully re-ODINed CWM3_Voodoo-blue.tar.md5
Rebooted into CWM and installed Busybox+SU-Edify.zip (Thanks atomD21)
Acquired root
Lost WiFi and Mobile data, will address later
Ran Titanium Backup batch backup all apps and data, locked phone HARD (dissolving screen) had to pull battery
Second TiBU worked to backup all apps, system, and data
Copied TiBU files to PC
Went to extract PWGB, unsupported compression format
Got new version of 7-zip, installed, rebooted
Extracted PWGB w/modem, because previous attempt failed had to confirm replacment of 0 size files
Spent hour researching kernels to go with PWGB
Went to re-install CWM and plugged in phone before starting ODIN, started install and spontanous reboot of the PC
Second try after reboot, failed during flash, USB device failed in windows, phone when to blue screen
Third try install CWM successful (USB frequently disconnects when using this port, USB device malfunction when using other USB port)
First try ODIN PWGB failed could not open serial port
Second try ODIN PWGB could not open serial port
Tried connecting to other USB port, device malfunction
Trying another USB port
Third try PWGB, SUCCESS, 3 min 20 sec
Booted, ran some script would not enter CWM, held three buttons and rebooted to stock recovery
ODINed CWM, disabled lagfix and system lagfix
Rebooted successfully into PWGB !!!!!
ODINed powerwash_fix_permissions_v2.zip

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow... That is a lot to go through to get your phone rooted and running a custom ROM. Glad to hear you're up and running now!