Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    TSM Resurrection; KGB

Default Zram: How to use?

As the title suggests, I'm unsure of how (or even why) to use zram. I know it helps with ram partitions, but beyond that I'm stuck; especially with how to enable/adjust it.

Any help?

Fas as Fas can be, you'll never crash me!
    icu

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 11/Tinykernel

Default Re: Zram: How to use?

It's basically virtual RAM from what I understand (like the SWAP space on a linux install) - sets disk space to be set aside to be used as "backup RAM" of sorts.

Best suggestion is to read the instructions linked on the first post of imoseyon's lean kernel thread - [Kernel][Gb][Tw][Eh09/ei20][Voodoo] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel (V2.0.1, 11/17/11) - RootzWiki

I simply enabled it via Terminal Emulator:
    su
    zram enable

But there are ways to adjust the size etc. I'm just using the default size for now.

ROM
    Stock, rooted

Did it do anything for you?

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Devil 40.1

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwoe View Post
    Did it do anything for you?
    It does help in combination with KGB kernel that has adjusted the lowmemorykiller in the android system.

after you enable the ZRAM you enter into your file explorer go to the ETC>init.d, then open the zram file as text editor. The number will list 4500000 or something close.

This basically means 45MB of Virtual RAM. I have it set to 64MB, one person is running 128MB.

after you change the file save and exit.

Now you have more zram. If you are not sure if your changes took effect, go to TE and type "free" (without quotes) it will show you the swap _ _ _ _ that will tell you how much zram you are using.

Enjoy
    I know enough to get into trouble, but not enough to get myself out of that trouble.