Trying to root after OTA gingerbread update

freduc2

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I was having some force closes so i went back to DI01 and let verizon OTA up to GB. Is there a file to root GB? the FascinateRoot_v2 doesn't seem to work.

Melvil

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know if there is a solution for rooting with gingerbread? I'm trying to root for the first time and as the OP says, the old instructions don't seem to do the trick.

AmanteNJ

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody know if there is a solution for rooting with gingerbread? I'm trying to root for the first time and as the OP says, the old instructions don't seem to do the trick.

The easiest way is to ODIN a pre-rooted ROM like superclean 0.5 or geewiz 2.3, check the XDA forums you can get all the files there

LukeBorgman

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to root a stock Gingerbread Fascinate without flashing Clockwork ROM at least. I really liked being able to root without any ROM alteration (using ADB), but I can't find a way to do that any more.

johnsma22

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to root a stock Gingerbread Fascinate without flashing Clockwork ROM at least. I really liked being able to root without any ROM alteration (using ADB), but I can't find a way to do that any more.

Here's a link to the Stock EH03 Odin Package. There is also a deodexed, rooted version in that thread as well.

Post #2 in that thread shows how to root stock EH03 using ADB.

LukeBorgman

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's a link to the Stock EH03 Odin Package. There is also a deodexed, rooted version in that thread as well.

Post #2 in that thread shows how to root stock EH03 using ADB.

That process (Post #2) doesn't work on my Fascinate. I doubt it works anywhere since there's no root exploit included. The command "mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl19/system" returns "Operation not permitted." ADB based roots I've used successfully require running an exploit to get temporary root privileges in order to install the full root option. The prior method used rage.bin which under Gingerbread locks ADB.

I've also tried SuperOneClick 2.3.1 which uses the zerg exploit but it also locks out ADB after seeming to initially work. It looks to me like stock Gingerbread is not rootable until a new exploit is found.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My stock EH03 Fascinate is rooted. It isn't hard to do. I used ODIN and CWM Recovery to do it.

You need ODIN on your computer. CWM-Recovery-All-3-30-fix.tar on your computer where you know where it is and su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19zip on your SD card in your phone.

Use ODIN to flash the CWM-Recovery file. (If you are new to ODIN read the instructions first!)

Put the battery back in but do not reboot yet.

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume UP, Volume Down and Power button simultaneously. Hold the buttons until the Samsung logo comes up, goes black, then comes back up. Release the buttons now and you'll enter CWM.

Scroll down to "install zip from SD card" and hit the Power button.

Scroll down to :choose zip from SD card" and hit Power button.

Scroll down to the su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip file and hit the Power button.

After the file has finished installing you can hit the menu button to back out to the main Clockwork Recovery menu. Do not reboot your phone at this point IF you want to flash a ROM or Kernel. Rebooting your phone will replace the CWM we flashed with the stock recovery. If you just wanted to root your phone you can now reboot it.

I do not take credit for these instructions. They were given to me by several helpful people on the forum. I am just passing the information along. If you are not familar with ODIN, please read the instructions first before using the program and follow them exactly. A search on ODIN will find them.

Note: once your phone is rooted it will no longer receive the OTA updates. To get them you will either have to flash a custom ROM or unroot the phone.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am glad it helped you. It isn't really hard once it is all spelled out for you in a step by step manner. I had to have it spelled out to me (GRIN).

Now if or when a new OTA update comes out and you want it, you will have to use ODIN and flash back to ED05 and let it update. This will erase all data Then do the rooting proceedure again.

Melvil

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, there's just a lot of information out there and it's easy to get lost for someone new to this whole business. Now that I'm starting to understand how things work and what tools are out there it's making a whole lot more sense.

Thanks again!

firephoenix

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to rooting tried first time last night. I tried the above root method for rooting my fassy. Thought it worked tried superuser but no root. Don't know what I am doing wrong.

johnsma22

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Finally got rooted for the first time last night. It was the first time i rooted my phone followed the instructions from site listed below and was done in 3 min. Now i have to learn about what Rom to use.
It was nice to get rid of Verizon's bloatware via titanium backup. :)

[HOW TO] Root Froyo or Gingerbread on Your Fascinate

The only thing I would add to those instructions is that the version of cwm that was mentioned and linked to in that post was cwm 3. That version of cwm purportedly does not work correctly when attempting to create a nandroid backup. The version that most of the devs recommend for compatibility and for creating nandroid backup is cwm-recovery-ALL.tar.

Reactions: firephoenix

Slewman

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I would add to those instructions is that the version of cwm that was mentioned and linked to in that post was cwm 3. That version of cwm purportedly does not work correctly when attempting to create a nandroid backup. The version that most of the devs recommend for compatibility and for creating nandroid backup is cwm-recovery-ALL.tar.

can we replace the CWM3 linked in the instructions with this CWM? or do we have to flash the CWM3 version first, then update to the new CWM once we are rooted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze