Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Root after GB OTA update on refurbished device

My old Fascinate was murdered (RIP, my beloved device) and I got a refurbished one through my insurance. As soon as I turned it on I got the GB OTA update from Verizon. (Damn you, Verizon. I wait forever for the official update and you decide to push it at a time it causes me problems.)

I'm trying to root the device and have run into a problem. When I am in the proper directory and run the adb device command, it displays my device as 37319BA23DEE00EC. I didn't think this would be a problem but I guess it is. So I tried using ODIN and CWM to install busybox and this didn't work either. I'm know not rooted because I can't use titanium backup. I have tried each method several times with different variables (battery in , battery out, ect., ect.). Yes, the device drivers and installed properly. Yes, USB debugging mode is on. Yes, I have the right files. Yes, I have an original USB cable. No, I am not an *****.
    I am running kernel version 2.6.35.7 firmware version 2.3.5 Baseband version S:i500.04 V.EH03 Build number SCH-I500.EH03.

Any ideas, oh knights in shining armor with even shinier devices?
    Last edited by JezebelJennie; 12-07-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Adding background

ROM
    Stock EH03 with SC3

Default Re: Root after GB OTA update on refurbished device

go to XDA forum and flash through CWM the Superclean 2.3.5 or version 0.5 the full rom and not the patches. It is pre rooted and debinged/debloated.

Here is the link (Rom){EH03}[11.30] SuperClean3 V0.5 (12.7 more patches) - xda-developers

Can we use ODIN to flash this the full Superclean Rom

ROM
    EH03 SC3/Lean Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by colotl View Post
    Can we use ODIN to flash this the full Superclean Rom
    No, eh03 superclean is a zip that is flashwd in cwm. It can only be flashed over a gingerbread rom like eh09, ei20 or stock eh03.

You would need to backup your data, copy the superclean zip to your sd card, flash one of those roms in oden, flash cwm in oden, boot to recovery, wipe data/cache/delvik, then flash superclean and reboot.
    Thanked by:
    Kalnel 

Is there anyway to root stock eh03? Or are these ROMs pretty stable? It's the wife's phone, so this is just going to be a 1 and done thing.

How do we flash through CWM if we are no longer rooted due to the OTA update?

ROM
    EH03 SC3/Lean Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by AZVern View Post
    How do we flash through CWM if we are no longer rooted due to the OTA update?
    You need to oden cwm to your phone and then boot directly into recovery. Clear cache and delvik cache then flash the superclean v3.05 zip that you placed on your sd card. Upon reboot, you'll be in rooted EH03 Gingerbread in all it's debloated, and debinged glory!

Do some reading Here and Here and you'll be all set.
    Last edited by johnsma22; 12-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Kalnel 

ROM
    Rooted AOSP

Quote Originally Posted by JezebelJennie View Post
    My old Fascinate was murdered (RIP, my beloved device) and I got a refurbished one through my insurance. As soon as I turned it on I got the GB OTA update from Verizon. (Damn you, Verizon. I wait forever for the official update and you decide to push it at a time it causes me problems.)

I'm trying to root the device and have run into a problem. When I am in the proper directory and run the adb device command, it displays my device as 37319BA23DEE00EC. I didn't think this would be a problem but I guess it is. So I tried using ODIN and CWM to install busybox and this didn't work either. I'm know not rooted because I can't use titanium backup. I have tried each method several times with different variables (battery in , battery out, ect., ect.). Yes, the device drivers and installed properly. Yes, USB debugging mode is on. Yes, I have the right files. Yes, I have an original USB cable. No, I am not an *****.
    I am running kernel version 2.6.35.7 firmware version 2.3.5 Baseband version S:i500.04 V.EH03 Build number SCH-I500.EH03.

Any ideas, oh knights in shining armor with even shinier devices?
    store this su.zip on sdcard: su-2.3.6.1.x.zip

ODIN this cWM: cwm-recovery-ALL-3-30-FIX.tar

Three button to recovery, then flash the su.zip.

Reboot

Shouldn't take over 2 minutes from start to finish
    I am a product of my failures.

It's not the law, just a suggestion..

"Let's Flash Together" Bigjobber69.

Lttlwing16 when you say store this su.zip on the sd card, how would you do that because when i go into cWM I am unsure of how to find it? Pretty noob of me but yes Im stuck because I cannot seem to find the su.zip file.

ROM
    EH03 SC3/Lean Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by waxpoetics View Post
    Lttlwing16 when you say store this su.zip on the sd card, how would you do that because when i go into cWM I am unsure of how to find it? Pretty noob of me but yes Im stuck because I cannot seem to find the su.zip file.
    You need to connect the phone to your computer while it's powered on and your computer sees it as an attached external drive. You then drag a and drop the su.zip to the root directory of the phone's sd card. Now boot into recovery. Use the up/down volume button to move selector up and down. Use the power button to select and the menu soft key to go back a screen.

1. With the phone powered off press and hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons simultaneously. Hold the buttons until the samsung logo comes up, then goes black, then comes back up. Release the buttons now and you'll enter CWM.

2. Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.

3. Scroll down to "choose zip from sdcard" and hit the power button.

4. Scroll down to the su.zip file that you placed in the root directory of the sd card earlier and hit the power button, then scroll to "yes" and hit the power button again.

5. Hit the menu soft key until you're back to the main menu and make sure "reboot phone" is selected and hit the power button. The phone will reboot and you'll be rooted.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Can someone out there tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've flashed several ROMs before without any major problems. For some reason, I can't seem to get Superclean3 on my Fassy. I was running .5 of the full ROM, but having issues with it freezing up. So, I thought I'd start fresh, including reformatting my SD card.

Here's what I've done...

1. ODIN'd stock EC09 Gingerbread. This works fine and I confirmed that the SD card is also OK.
    2. Per above, I then ODIN'd cwm-recovery-ALL-3-30-FIX.tar
    3. Rebooted to recover and flashed su-2.3.6.1.x.zip
    4. Full reboot and confirmed that everything working fine
    5. Reboot to recovery and flash Superclean3 Milestone ROM, including wipe cache partition dalvik cache (completes OK)
    6. Reboot but stuck on SAMSUNG boot screen
    Last edited by semibru; 01-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.

ROM
    AOKP Build 33

I assume that you are wiping data, cache and dalvik before installing the zip file?

Here's what I did. Flash the recovery. Boot into recovery, then wipe data, cache partition and dakvik cache. Install the zip. Reboot. I did not install the SU like you but I doubt that's what's wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Yeah.. funny, I was just editing my post to clarify that. I've also tried with and without a full wipe.Other thoughts??

ROM
    EH03 SC3/Lean Kernel

SuperClean should be flashed over stock EH03. EC09 should not even be talked about anymore. It's useless for everything except borking sd cards. No need to root before flashing stock EH03 or superclean. After you flash sc you'll be rooted.

Back up everything important to you before continuing!

1. Place superclean zip on sd card
    2. Odin stock EH03
    3. Odin cwm all
    4. Boot phone fully
    5. Boot into recovery
    6. Clear cache/davlik cache
    7. Flash superclean zip
    8. Boot phone and enjoy.

Kgb kernel is a great option for this rom if you find you don't like the stock EH03 kernel.
    Thanked by:

http://www.galaxyforums.net/forum/fa...fascinate.html use this website and do as it says i still use this method

ROM
    EH03 SC3/Lean Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by fassy100 View Post
    [HOW TO] Root Froyo or Gingerbread on Your Fascinate use this website and do as it says i still use this method

That is a great tutorial for rooting stock roms. However, that process is not required when flashing an already rooted rom. Also Gingerbread stock roms don't require custom kernels to be used to keep the stock kernel from overwriting the custom cwm that you just flashed when you reboot, like Froyo did.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
    SuperClean should be flashed over stock EH03. EC09 should not even be talked about anymore. It's useless for everything except borking sd cards. No need to root before flashing stock EH03 or superclean. After you flash sc you'll be rooted.
    Many thanks! EC09 was definitely the problem. And that explains the problem I had with my SD card

Everything was backed up, so I'll chalk this up as a learning experience. I'm up-and-running with EH03 now.

As for KGB, I previously had issues when using KGB (12/12) with SC.5, where my screen would frequently "go dead" - I could see it OK, but the touchscreen part was broken. I can't say it was attributable to the KGB kernel. I also found that overall I had more lag than expected. Maybe it was just me. Anyway, that's why I was starting over with a clean install and fresh SD card.

Thanks again.

ROM
    superclean3 milestone2

odin back to stock then use oden install CWM3_VOODOO.TAR.MD5 THEN IN REBOOT IN RECOVERY AND INSTALL THIS .ZIP SU-2.3.6.1.X REBOOT AND YOUR ROOTED

I too have a probably refurbished phone sent last week from Verizon. It is a Samsung Galaxy s
    Model: sch-i500
    Firmware: 2.3.5
    Baseband: S:i500.04 V.EH03
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7
    Build: SCH-I500.EHOS

I cannot connect to my pc via usb cable - pc keeps asking me to install disk. I can removed sd card and put it in my reader and connect that way but kind of a pain in the neck. Any info would be great. Also my other phone was rooted and I had no verizon crap (bloatware). How would I root this phone running gingerbread. I saw some instructions on this thread but I want to make sure it would work for my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jdigiano View Post
    I too have a probably refurbished phone sent last week from Verizon. It is a Samsung Galaxy s
    Model: sch-i500
    Firmware: 2.3.5
    Baseband: S:i500.04 V.EH03
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7
    Build: SCH-I500.EHOS

I cannot connect to my pc via usb cable - pc keeps asking me to install disk. I can removed sd card and put it in my reader and connect that way but kind of a pain in the neck. Any info would be great. Also my other phone was rooted and I had no verizon crap (bloatware). How would I root this phone running gingerbread. I saw some instructions on this thread but I want to make sure it would work for my phone.
    You most likely don't have the Samsung Drivers installed on your PC. See this thread for drivers, and everything else you need to walk you through loading a custom ROM.

[GUIDE] Installing a Rom/CWM recovery/Root or going back to Stock - xda-developers

You can get root and a stock debloated GB ROM for your Fascinate here...

(full tar package/radio)(EH03){odin/heimdall} Verizon 2.3.5 TWGB (cwr ver as well) - xda-developers

I was able to root my phone per instructions. I did a backup prior to rooting to my sd card. However, I left the sd card in while rooting. The phone works fine but I am unable to get my contacts to show up when I use the phone. I found the contacts backed up on my sd card as html. I had verizon backup assistant on my last rooted phone and was able to get all my contacts and transfer them as a cvs file but the phone still won't oven the file. Any suggestions?

ROM
    TSM Resurrection; KGB

Quote Originally Posted by jdigiano View Post
    I was able to root my phone per instructions. I did a backup prior to rooting to my sd card. However, I left the sd card in while rooting. The phone works fine but I am unable to get my contacts to show up when I use the phone. I found the contacts backed up on my sd card as html. I had verizon backup assistant on my last rooted phone and was able to get all my contacts and transfer them as a cvs file but the phone still won't oven the file. Any suggestions?
    Can you go into your Contacts -> Menu -> Import/Export from SD Card?

They were saved into html format - don't know why - and I couldn't convert the file. I ended up unrooting my phone in order to get my contacts back. Was going to try rerooting to see if same thing happens. Is there any way to hide the bloat rather than root?