Looking for a new rom

whitedahlia

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I have SC3 on my phone now and it works fairly well no complaints here. I just like to try new roms. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an ICS rom available yet and maybe could recommend one if so?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If there is an ICS ROM floating around in the works for the Fascinate it would most likely be based off Cyanogen Mod.

Otherwise I'm sure if you look around there are some themes that are built in the ICS flavor that will give you the look & feel of ICS.

anon268366

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is one based on cm9 you can find it over at rootz wiki. Sorry I don't have a link

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
OR if you're feeling a bit more conservative you could stick with SC3 and install notta's excellent ICSHoney or ICSHoney2 (what I use) theme here - [Theme][01/14/12][ED05/EH03/EH09/EI20]-Port Inspired NeonBT, Honeycomb & ICS - xda-developers

Get yourself ADW EX Launcher and install the Ice Cream Sandwich theme and you're pretty much there (beyond the actual software improvements).

If you are happy with the SC3 performance and just want some more bells and whistles try TSM Resurrection (themes for that too)

I'd love to try ICS too, but I hear the videocam is wonky and I need a fully functioning videocam (which is why TW roms are great).

anon268366

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Ics still has some bugs. Mms still isn't 100% as it don't send all the time and doesn't work at all on wifi and switching mega pixels on the camera will force close it. That is just to name a few ones. But as a daily driver, it is overall great.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Is this so? I certainly plan to try it if I hear it's about 90-95% there - what version are you running.

The thing is SC3 has 0 bugs (for me at least) and the performance is top notch.

I watched the press conference and yeah I like the flicking items to the side to dismiss them. I guess the gmail update looked nice etc. but what do you (ICS Fascinate users) find are the major benefits the current ICS builds have over TW roms or even CM7/MIUI? (besides being the brand new hotness of course)

anon268366

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Is this so? I certainly plan to try it if I hear it's about 90-95% there - what version are you running.

The thing is SC3 has 0 bugs (for me at least) and the performance is top notch.

I watched the press conference and yeah I like the flicking items to the side to dismiss them. I guess the gmail update looked nice etc. but what do you (ICS Fascinate users) find are the major benefits the current ICS builds have over TW roms or even CM7/MIUI? (besides being the brand new hotness of course)

The only one I have is battery. Seems no marry what I do I can't get a decent battery life with tw roms. With ics I can get much better battery. But I do prefer tw, just can't deal with the bad battery I always seem to get.

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Take the plunge! I would stick with build 6 for the time being. Its excellent would say its 98% but again like i said has been my DD since it came out way back whenssssssssssssssssssssss

taglish123

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Take the plunge! I would stick with build 6 for the time being. Its excellent would say its 98% but again like i said has been my DD since it came out way back whenssssssssssssssssssssss

I went to root wiki but the link for build 6 is not working. Is there a mirror site?

domenci

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I personally have switched to ICS twice now, and am about to go back to GB again. I had JT's build 3 a while back, but there were a bunch of issues. Right now, I have Teamhacksung's Build 6 (following the reccommended upgrade path stock->build2->build 6). MMS doesn't work well. There are all these random phantom softkey presses, most noticeable being back button, leaving you with programs closing by themselves. Haptic feedback only seems to work with the softkeys and sometimes random apps but mostly you get no feedback. The compass doesn't work, leaving you with a less than perfect google navigation. It is pretty smooth, but without full, stable functionality it kinda leaves my hardware feeling under-appreciated and me feeling frustrated. Too bad, it's got some good features. :(

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I personally have switched to ICS twice now, and am about to go back to GB again. I had JT's build 3 a while back, but there were a bunch of issues. Right now, I have Teamhacksung's Build 6 (following the reccommended upgrade path stock->build2->build 6). MMS doesn't work well. There are all these random phantom softkey presses, most noticeable being back button, leaving you with programs closing by themselves. Haptic feedback only seems to work with the softkeys and sometimes random apps but mostly you get no feedback. The compass doesn't work, leaving you with a less than perfect google navigation. It is pretty smooth, but without full, stable functionality it kinda leaves my hardware feeling under-appreciated and me feeling frustrated. Too bad, it's got some good features. :(

Good to know, I downloaded the files and was gonna try it out, but I think I'll stick with TSM RES, I've had great luck with this one so far. Maybe I'll try ICS at some point in the next few months. There should be a new, stripped down version of TSM Res any day now, which sounds like it will be even better than the current version.

anon268366

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Weird I don't have any of these problems. But I didn't do build 2 first just straight to 6 for me.

domenci

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Weird I don't have any of these problems. But I didn't do build 2 first just straight to 6 for me.

I went straight from superclean to build 6 and had more force closes than I do now. The upgrade path I took is what was recommended in the thread for those having issues. Discrepancies between what works for who further indicates this rom is not truly ready for prime time.

All I can get is a blue dot showing my location in google maps, I cannot get the arrow showing which way I am facing. As far as I can tell from the original thread on rootzwiki, this is an issue with the rom. Are you saying that you have this functionality? What modem and kernel are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles