1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Has anyone put the Swype Beta on their Fas?

Yes, I am new to rooting so cut me a little slack. I'm running SC3 with the stock kernel. Very basic. But I'd like to try to get the new swype beta if that's possible without too much trouble. Any suggestions?

Cuda

ROM
    CM10

Default Re: Has anyone put the Swype Beta on their Fas?

Yup, it's not too complicated to do, as long as Swype isn't already installed on your phone. You just have to go to and sign up for the beta program, download the installer, sign in and set up Swype. I didn't have any problems installing it. You may want to make sure you're on a wifi connection when you do the installation though, because the install files are pretty big.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Oh, sorry, I guess I was assuming that everyone that had a verizon Fas had swype pre-installed. Do I need to look for a ROM that doesn't have it installed so that I can then download the beta? I'm pretty happy with SC3 right now and would hate to have to get rid of it but I'll try something new if I can maybe get the beta.

ROM
    CM10

You can still do it, but it's a little more complicated. You have to use a file manager to delete the old Swype files first. When I did it, I used Root Explorer, but you can use any file manager that has root access.

There are a few steps to follow to get rid of the old one, then you can install the new one.
    1. Change keyboard to default Android keyboard. (or anything other than Swype)
    2. Delete (using a file manager): /system/app/Swype.apk
    3. Delete (using a file manager): /system/lib/libSwypecore.so
    4. Reboot phone
    5. Use Swype Installer to install new version of Swype.

Hopefully this helps. It was a pain in the **** the first time I tried. I didn't know about having to delete the lib file.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Are there any risks involved? I guess I should get the invite to the beta before I start erasing files, huh? LOL.

ROM
    CM10

As long as you're careful, there really aren't many risks. If you end up not being able to sign up for the beta, there are still places where you can get the files for Swype.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

You forgot data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod but I figured it out. Thanks a lot.

Cuda

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.9.2 Superclean

I have been using beta swype for about a year now and love it. It just keeps getting better and better with each new version.