Rooting my old fassy

bbudnick5001

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a gnex currently and have been researching and trying to teach my self about rooting and flashing rooms and such. I have some questions though.....
What are some good up to date guides to root my phone? My fascinate is stock Verizon, when I thought I was going to sell it I did a factory reset on it. Now I can't get on the phone without prompts to activate. Will this give me issues? Do I HAVE to activate the phone or can I root and flash some ics rooms without doing so? Of course I won't be able to get data connections and such but like I said I really want to do some experimenting with this phone. Thanks for all your help in advance! Some of the links I have tried on other threads seem to be old or not in use anymore and that is why I'm posting. Once again I am new to this stuff.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Here is the guide I used to flash Gummy ICS on my phone coming from stock.
Supa's Useless Information: How to flash ICS on the Samsung Fascinate!

One thing I changed. Where it says ICS Build 9 (Latest), instead of that I used Gummy ICS

You should be able to do all of this without activating your phone. but like you said, you won't get data or cell. I wonder if you can use it as a WiFi only device....

Reactions: icu

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is the guide I used to flash Gummy ICS on my phone coming from stock.
Supa's Useless Information: How to flash ICS on the Samsung Fascinate!

One thing I changed. Where it says ICS Build 9 (Latest), instead of that I used Gummy ICS

You should be able to do all of this without activating your phone. but like you said, you won't get data or cell. I wonder if you can use it as a WiFi only device....

You switched from Gummy to THS's offering? I think I'd feel better going with THS as they've not failed me before.

I'm still debating on whether it's worth the "upgrade" if it will just result in things not working well and a bunch of tinkering (which I love, but I just don't have the time). Is there a noticeable performance boost running ICS in your opinion? I know it's the "real lagfix" so it should be a bit better in theory.

bbudnick5001

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Finally got around to rooting this thing today. Used that method in post 2. Its awesome. I'm currently running 4.0.4 aokp m5. And I must say I'm impressed. I'm only running it on Wi-Fi so not sure if data and all works but I would assume so:)

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You switched from Gummy to THS's offering? I think I'd feel better going with THS as they've not failed me before.

I'm still debating on whether it's worth the "upgrade" if it will just result in things not working well and a bunch of tinkering (which I love, but I just don't have the time). Is there a noticeable performance boost running ICS in your opinion? I know it's the "real lagfix" so it should be a bit better in theory.

In all honesty, this phone was not mean to run ICS and with that being said, I think the real lag is the phone itself.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty, this phone was not mean to run ICS and with that being said, I think the real lag is the phone itself.

I would have to disagree. Every time a new version of Android is released, aside from adding more features, a top priority is making it a smoother and more efficient running system for the user. This phone has seen eclair, froyo, gingerbread, and now ice cream sandwich. Each time, getting smoother and seemingly faster. No, you cannot make up for deficiencies in hardware, but this phone doesn't have any when it comes to just running an OS as you're implying. If you want to see this phone be slow or lag, flash a 2.1 ROM.

Sent from my ICS'd Galaxy S.

00ffej

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I disagree as well. Running AOKP 35.1 with the glitched skunkworks kernel and my phone is blazing

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You guys are both right.... I started from scratch and installed AOKP Milestone 5 and it is as smooth as can be. Battery life is also good on an average day but yesterday I was in a good cell and WiFi area and I still had 60% left after 13 hours! I know that was a fluke but it was still nice to see. Been running this config for at least a week now and i do like it a lot. thanks for the comments.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Here's Mr. Dragging His Feat again - so I want to give AOKP a shot this weekend, but had a few quick questions which perhaps others may find useful. I've done a fair bit of reading over at XDA and it seems like everyone is mainly satisfied and/or thrilled.

• Does anything not work i.e. can you video cam at 720p or any other things that don't work

• Would you recommend going with the Glitched version? I would probably opt for this and change if issues arise.

• If I were to follow Supa's guide (Post #2) to go to AOKP would I simply follow the steps, but make the following changes:

• In place of flashing the ICS packages suggested I should instead flash THS build 2 - then AOKP - then the gapps.

• Are there any tweaks that you have made after installation to help things or solve minor problems?

Last edited:

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I done did it - I wanted to flash a Glitched build, but since they are not available atm I just used the standard Milestone 5. I had originally flashed the IcyGlitch v14 b6 kernel, but had problems with the sensors and screen rotation. This was fixed by flashing the Skunkworks kernel.

Now everything is working wonderfully. SC3 is still a good choice if you want to stay TouchWiz (I miss the video player tbh), but I'm happy I took the plunge. Runs great and the changes from GB to ICS are welcome. Quite a happy camper atm.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I done did it - I wanted to flash a Glitched build, but since they are not available atm I just used the standard Milestone 5. I had originally flashed the IcyGlitch v14 b6 kernel, but had problems with the sensors and screen rotation. This was fixed by flashing the Skunkworks kernel.

Now everything is working wonderfully. SC3 is still a good choice if you want to stay TouchWiz (I miss the video player tbh), but I'm happy I took the plunge. Runs great and the changes from GB to ICS are welcome. Quite a happy camper atm.

I just installed this (Galaxy S Voice) today and so far, with the little bit of testing I did, it seems to work nicely.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][ICS][5/10] Android Open Kang Project Fascinate Build 35.1 (4.0.4)

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I d-loaded it, but I haven't installed it yet.

I may have got myself Flipboard which seems very nice.

Perhaps I'll try the s-voice - I just don't need it - my wife has an iPhone 4s ... and it's fun for setting alarms. You don't have to have it constantly monitoring for your voice right? I think it would be silly to have such a service running in the background at all times.

I'll give it a try.

* Also do you use Nova launcher, stock or Apex? (other?) Hard to know which is best.

Last edited:

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I d-loaded it, but I haven't installed it yet.

I may have got myself Flipboard which seems very nice.

Perhaps I'll try the s-voice - I just don't need it - my wife has an iPhone 4s ... and it's fun for setting alarms. You don't have to have it constantly monitoring for your voice right? I think it would be silly to have such a service running in the background at all times.

I'll give it a try.

* Also do you use Nova launcher, stock or Apex? (other?) Hard to know which is best.

Apex. Before that I was a long time Go user. I like the Apex menu system. Haven't tried Nova but I am sure it only comes down to which has the more features you want.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here's a ? - I am REALLY missing the TouchWiz video player. Worked with everything - smooth - perfect. I need to find a replacement and I'm willing to pay.

Both Mobo and MX are good for most files, but can't event play the 720p video I record on my phone!

Is there another player anyone can recommend or do I just need a Codec pack? I see codec packs for each player on the Play store, but it's unclear which is the right one to choose.

*so after upgrading to Glitched build 37 720p videos play fine. I'm now just deciding which player to stick with Mobo, MX or mPlayer. Anyone have an opinion or know of a video player roundup?

*Google search*

Oh hey http://lifehacker.com/5823465/the-best-video-player-for-android just never hear much discussion of video players especially in Fascinate TouchWiz rom threads ;) So I'll stick with Mobo although the others seemed as good in most respects.

** scratch that - sticking with MX Player for now for the screen lock (Mobo's doesn't block the Home button) - I have to be able to hand videos to my kid. Also, the adds don't bother me (I don't see them).

Last edited: