Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So far I've failed to root my Verizon Samsung Fascinate

Hello everybody. I've been trying for the past several hours to root my phone. This phone has been on the market for a while and all the instructions I'm finding are at least a year old. I'm wondering if that is part of the problem. I'm using Windows 7.

Here are some specs on the phone:
    • Hardware version: I500.04
    • Model number: SCH-I500
    • Firmware version: 2.3.5
    • Baseband version: S:i500.04 V.EH03
    • Kernel version: 2.6.35.7
    • Build number: SCH-I500.EH03

I've been following the instructions from this forum. I've tried 3 methods:
    • FascinateRoot_v02
    • SuperOneClick
    • z4Root

Here are explanations of what is going wrong with each method:
    • When I try the FascinateRoot_v02 method, things go well up until the end, when I get this error:
      mount: Operation not permitted
      /data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/xbin/su: read-only file system
      /data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/xbin/busybox: read-only file syste
      m
      /data/local/tmp/com.sh: cannot create /system/app/Superuser.apk: read-only file
      system
      Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
      Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
      rm failed for /data/local/tmp/rage.bin, No such file or directory
      * Restarting your phone now.
      * Complete
    • When I try the SuperOneClick method, the program just crashes when I click the "Root" button. I've installed the .NET Framework.
    • When I try the z4Root method, it goes through like everything is working, but then when I test to see if I have root access by opening Titanium Backup, I find that it didn't work.

I'm very new to this. My experience consists of one long sitting that came up with no solution. So if anybody has been down this road before and wants to help me along, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Grant
    Last edited by granttrotter; 09-03-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    icu

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 11/Tinykernel

Default Re: So far I've failed to root my Verizon Samsung Fascinate

Global Posts
    1,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

Do you have a ROM in mind that you want to try? Most ROMS nowadays will leave your phone rooted once you have flashed them. Here is a guide I have used in the past and you can find the EH03 ROM here along with the PIT file. You'll also need ODIN if you don't have it.
    עם ישראל חי
    icu

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 11/Tinykernel

Agreed - I've found the easiest way to root is to push a rooted custom ROM via Odin. You just have to be VERY CAREFUL to follow instructions to the letter.