How to Root

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessie02

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I had even gotten to the point where I can see the # sign, but as soon as I put in the next command, i believe the "mount" command, it locks up and have to do the battery pull. Who knows, thought I had it, but guess not.....

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
so my first smart phone n wondering what the benefits of rooting are?

It allows you to remove bloatware and also install certain apps that cannot run without root. For example, I like to use ShootMe to take screenshots, and Adfree to block ads in web pages and apps that are not ad free. Both require root access.

what about free tethering????

Normally root would allow you to use WiFi Tethering for Root or Barnacle, but I can't get either of these apps to work.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
@Dirrk

There doesn't appear to be any download links to this step of the tutorial.

"Download the attached files
and extract them to C:\fascinate\
or you will have to modify the code"

Thanks.

coolfx35

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
okay, I installed "Barnacle Wifi Legacy" it was working for a few seconds, then I got

"unexpected error occurred! Inspect the log and try the troubleshooting guide."

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
@Dirrk

There doesn't appear to be any download links to this step of the tutorial.

"Download the attached files
and extract them to C:\fascinate\
or you will have to modify the code"

Thanks.

Its at the very bottom of the tutorial it says Fascinate.rar

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
okay, I installed "Barnacle Wifi Legacy" it was working for a few seconds, then I got

"unexpected error occurred! Inspect the log and try the troubleshooting guide."

Try using the wireless tether for root users in my op. I have it confirmed working on my rooted phone. I tried pre8 and it didnt work but pre9 does. Do not download the app from market because it is not the most up to date app.

Regarding other applications that are for root users just do a market search for root and you will see all kinds of stuff.

For anyone experiencing problems with wireless tether please check and make sure you have the newest copy because I have had 2 other people tell me it was working perfectly for them.

coolfx35

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I did click on your link for PR9 and installed pr9.

I don't know what the problem is. It's weird that it works for others but not for me.

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
can I try pdanet? does it work?

I would assume pdanet works but I have not tried it.

edit:Also I read you said that you tried to use bluetooth...why didnt you just use it as normal. I have it working but I have the settings as default, it may be the settings you have chosen, please check and make sure real quick if you could

Last edited:

coolfx35

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay PDAnet works great.

pdanet also claims that you don't need to root your phone to use free tethering. It's very straight forward.

I don't know wouldn't everyone use it?

coolfx35

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I would assume pdanet works but I have not tried it.

edit:Also I read you said that you tried to use bluetooth...why didnt you just use it as normal. I have it working but I have the settings as default, it may be the settings you have chosen, please check and make sure real quick if you could

I use bluetooth because i don't want anyone in the office to see there's a new wi-fi network available (even it's secured)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL