Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewallen72

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
one more nice thing

I just went back to stock launcher, and if you rename the bing search apk, and install this apk then when you press the search button in the twlauncher it will also use google. the only thing that is missing on touchwiz now is the widget, which for many isnt a big deal if all other aspects work. great work all

Orcares

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm a newbie to all of this... Just got the Fascinate as my first ever Android device, coming from Blackberry!

I'm not afraid of a command window, so I got the root done without a hitch. However, what file manager are you using to rename this? I am trying Astro File Manager, but when I try to rename I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk it tells me "Insufficient Privileges."

Please help! What'd I do??

ange

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
for now...i guess we use the widget or make a bookmark to google voice search.

tomorrow, I'll take a look into the system settings and tinker with it...my theory is to trick the system into thinking google voice search is bing's voice search, but I have no clue how that'll go. ;)

aiming for the quick search key settings. if anyone knows where it may be? that'd help a bit :)

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Couldn't you just delete the files too? I'm new at the root thing, figured you could just junk it along with the rest of the bloatware that we don't want?

Reactions: Bhilly82

ange

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The issue about that is the system's name for the package.

From what I've determined, I need to manually modify the default applications xml, but it's being so elusive to me. it should be /data/system/package.xml (this is away from the phone, so it might be off), but i have yet to find the default apps.

oh, swype's voice search uses google's voice parser if i'm not mistaken? If so, that'd mean it may be in another settings file.

I think I'm gonna being doing a ton of hunting tomorrow :confused:

edit: to address the above comment, getting rid of bloatware with root is easy, but restoring usability of the bloatware hijacked parts is tricky. for instance, deleting bing gets rid of the app, but also the voice search in the quick search

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I
Couldn't you just delete the files too? I'm new at the root thing, figured you could just junk it along with the rest of the bloatware that we don't want?

Technically yes. But to be safe I always tell people to rename system files. Some people on other devices have not been able to install OTA updates because the system file structure wasn't exactly the way it was out of the box. The Droid X wouldn't update after we deleted a bunch of bloatware. Not good.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Still a no go for me. :( I'm not sure why it won't work for me but I've tried it several times and just can't get that darn Bing to stop coming up in voice search.

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Still a no go for me. :( I'm not sure why it won't work for me but I've tried it several times and just can't get that darn Bing to stop coming up in voice search.

Did you make sure you renamed the right file? When I first did it I miss-clicked my verizon app. I looked again and renamed the right file and it worked.

outergarage

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
There may be an easy answer to this question but I can't find the answer through searching...
Why do I get a "Parse Error" when I try to run/install the "EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk" from the SD Card? It won't let me load that apk.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There may be an easy answer to this question but I can't find the answer through searching...
Why do I get a "Parse Error" when I try to run/install the "EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk" from the SD Card? It won't let me load that apk.

Which file manager are you using? Try Astro or Root Explorer if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt