Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I did remove the Google widget I had installed (dropped in the trash), then used LauncherPro to add the Google widget back, and now it's all Google searches.

And that's an important thing to note. You still have to be running a third-party launcher to get the Google search widget back. (Anybody have a fix for that?)

idkmybffjill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
First: Congratulations and thanks to all of you who put forth the effort to take this phone from disappointing to perfection. I was willing to put up with the Bing-ness just so I could upgrade from my BB, but now I will actually be proud to flaunt my new Android device. I imagine the conversation with my iPhone fanboy friends will go something like: "I hear you can only use Bing on tha...", "BAM! Do you see the Google? FEAR IT!" I may have some unresolved anger issues...

Second: As newly deflowered Android virgin, I have no experience at rooting, side-loading, or any other deviant phone behavior. I'm willing to bet there are some others like me who converted specifically for this phone. That bing said (see what I did there?), I humbly request on behalf of my self and my fellow newbies that a single guide be compiled that will enable us to root the phone, google-ize it (set up the search button function, widget, etc.), install the lag fix, as well as anything else that would be essential to "optimizing" the phone. I realize this is probably asking a lot and that most of this information is already available, but I haven't been able to comprehend the instructions in the root guide and I would really like to set this phone up the way it was meant to be.

Third: Thanks again for all the work that's been put into this project so far. Without y'all we'd still be stuck in Bing-land.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Rut ro, one more caveat: Pressing the search button on the phone works. Holding it for voice search still gets routed through Bing.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Rut ro, one more caveat: Pressing the search button on the phone works. Holding it for voice search still gets routed through Bing.

Yep, good call. I still get prompted for the MS/Bing EULA for voice search. Ugh.. getting there, but at least the search hijack is gone, and the widget works for LauncherPro peoples.

Baby steps..

Reactions: Turtl705

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Guys the only other thing I can think of is that I renamed I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk by adding .old to the end of it. As you can see in my video I have Voice Search in my app drawer, and it launches with my capacitive search button. I'm also fairly certain I installed Google Search from the market, but I can't find it now. One last thing - I do have Google Voice installed as well.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Guys the only other thing I can think of is that I renamed I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk by adding .old to the end of it. As you can see in my video I have Voice Search in my app drawer, and it launches with my capacitive search button. I'm also fairly certain I installed Google Search from the market, but I can't find it now. One last thing - I do have Google Voice installed as well.

Yep, that did it. Renaming I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax