Apps that are safe to remove once rooted

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried to move the "Nuance Voice Commands" = VSuiteApp.apk file as noted above and the phone didn't like that....it kept kept popping up an error message but I had root explorer so I just moved it back to system app folder
and it went away...just a FYI for anyone else

You just needed to power down your phone.
The service was likely running in the foreground when you renamed/removed it and that caused a force close.
Try again but shut your phone down afterwards.
I ran into the same issue when I originally renamed the file.

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
How do we get adb shell 'su'??

I have root and I'm using Root Explorer to move my bloat around, but I'd like 'su' via shell... for example

busybox mv /system/app/Browser.apk /sdcard/backupapps/Browser.apk.old;

How are some threads doing this? I'm still denied access.

$ busybox mv /system/app/Browser.apk /sdcard/backupapps/Browser.apk.old;
busybox mv /system/app/Browser.apk /sdcard/backupapps/Browser.apk.old;
mv: can't rename '/system/app/Browser.apk': No such file or directory
$ su
su
Permission denied
$

ajw20

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Here is the script it will automatically remove all files from the directory and put them on your sdcard under backupapps

To run this file you should know at least a little bit of adb or know how to copy

adb push backup.txt /sdcard/backup.sh
adb shell
su
sh backup.sh

Just make sure you hit allow on your phone and ignore any errors that say couldn't retain ownership permission

This removes all the files from corys post except
Browser
Myfiles
ThinkDroid

Thanks Dirk worked like a charm

jbm1981

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got my phone on Monday (first Android phone) and have rooted and set up ClockworkMod. I have renamed the .apk files that Cory listed in the original post. After yesterday's article about DRM files running on the Epic 4G I checked my running apps and had DRM listed (as well as gtalk). When I was renaming the files in root explorer, i found the following files and wondered if anyone had attempted to rename them:

DrmProvider.apk
DrmUA.apk
gtalkservice.apk

Also, I was wondering if someone could tell me what I need to do in order to move the renamed files and odexes to the sd card?

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Oops...

I bought Root Explorer and got a little trigger happy and uninstalled some of the VZW stuff.

No problems with the phone - FCs, etc - but I'm curious if I can reinstall these apps from a system dump somewhere.

Would I just download the APKs and install them? Should I?

I got rid of City ID, Blockbuster and a few other VZW specific things. I forget now...

Damnit!

Reactions: NexusNole

Rick83

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I renamed the files as per Cory's post and everything seems fine. Until the Froyo update I will leave the files where they are. Only with Car Cradle and Desk Cradle the browser and navigation buttons no longer work which doesn't bother me any. I have a Garmin for navi and unless theres a desk dock that allows me to attach my phone without removing my body glove case I wont bother with one.

Fyrmedic654

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's why I renamed Broswer.apk - because I use Dolphin.

I did a little searching to see if it was addressed, but nothing. Can you either PM me or let me know what advantages there are to the Dolphin browser over the stock? I have played with it, but am one of those that gets used to something and doesn't want to change if there really isn't anything more than asthetic value.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Using dolphin over the stock browser will allow you to use google search via the browser (a la doing a search while in the not browser, not just using the google website). The stock browser has bing coded into it, so as long as you are using it you will always be using bing search

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If you're following this thread, I have updated post #1 to include wallpaper and Samsung Widgets as safe to rename and/or move. Personally, I have moved them to my SD card, instead of renaming them with a .old extension, as I had previously suggested.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Oops...

I bought Root Explorer and got a little trigger happy and uninstalled some of the VZW stuff.

No problems with the phone - FCs, etc - but I'm curious if I can reinstall these apps from a system dump somewhere.

Would I just download the APKs and install them? Should I?

I got rid of City ID, Blockbuster and a few other VZW specific things. I forget now...

Damnit!

I uploaded them here for you.

Fyrmedic654

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Using dolphin over the stock browser will allow you to use google search via the browser (a la doing a search while in the not browser, not just using the google website). The stock browser has bing coded into it, so as long as you are using it you will always be using bing search
thanks. Honestly bing doesn't completely bother me. Would I rather google? Yes, but I can remain patient until 2.2 drops and fixes that mess. I guess I will fiddle around with dolphin

monterunthecity

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
where do i go to change the file names? in the phone? sorry im new to android i just rooted it to change stuff and trying to get started. went from an iphone for 4 years to a fascinate. im trying to learn as much as i can

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The easiest way is to purchase Root Explorer from the market. Using that, go into /system/apps and you can rename/move/remove each file by long pressing them one by one.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The full version of Titanium Backup allows you to "freeze" an app. The app is still there but it cannot run and can't be seen from the OS.

In Titanium Backup just tap Backup/Restore and tap the apps you want to freeze and tap Freeze.

This has a couple of advantages. You don't need to remember that the 2.99 per month city & state info app is called CityID_1.0.27_vzw.sch.i500_12118-release.apk. Just Freeze City ID.

If you ever change your mind, just unfreeze it. No file names to remember or find. The apps you froze are highlighted in blue so they are easy to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ytaay

aecky01

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
When moving files to the SD card, do you also have to rename? Also does it matter where you put them. I'm guessing simply moving them out of the sys folder will make them non functional.

I'm trying not to assume to much since I'm new to this and I'd hate of own a $500 paper weight.