Apps that are safe to remove once rooted

jsonbeegeezie

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I desperatly need help...

Hi! I'm a mac user and am having difficulty adjusting my phone just the way I would like it. First I would like to remove some of the "bloatware," as you refer to it as, and make google as my primary search engine. I already installed the root using the video of yours that you posted in the forum and youtube, but now I wanted to do the lag fix, the search engine swap, and anything else that will help this be the super phone it was meant to be. Can you help me out with a step-by-step tutorial of some sort? I only ask because most of these forums and hacks are for windows os. Thank you in advance!

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I would stay away from the lag fix... Causes more problems than it fixes, and doesn't really do much to fix any lag that most people don't even notice in the first place.

Edit: I actually noticed a pretty good increase in battery life after uninstalling the lag fix app.

For the rest of your questions, I would start by downloading Root Explorer from the market (a purchase that is worth it). With Root Explorer you can go into the /system/app folder and begin removing bloat. One of the safer ways to do this is simply renaming the apps you want to get rid of. You can do this by long-pressing the file (ending in .apk) and adding a ".old" to the end (so it reads "filename.apk.old"). Another way to remove the files is by moving them to your SD card for safe keeping. Keep in mind that OTA updates usually check for certain files on the phone in order for them to push through correctly, so I wouldn't go through and delete everything.

In order to get Google fully functional, download the .apk from the sticky "Got it! Google widget works now. Bing is dead!" to your mac and move it to your SD card. Using the My Files app (native to the phone, preinstalled) locate the file (enhancedgooglesearchprovider.apk) and click on it. It should prompt you to install the app. This will enable to you to use the search button to perform Google searches. If you want to use the Google widget, you will have to install a third party launcher like LauncherPro.

Anything else you would like to do?

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
FYI - I moved the BuddiesNow.apk and BuddiesNow.odex to my SD card, and was no longer able to login to Facebook with FB app. It took me a while to figure that one out, but as soon as I put them back, I could login fine.

frenzifun

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
my phone is rooted and voodooed all over again... but i cant download from the market now... it says starting download... but it never actually downloads... how come?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I would love to, but I've stayed away from it. Maybe Brandon will chime in. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few threads that talk about how to remove it though. Unfortunately I'm mobile at the moment, but if you search for "remove voodoo fascinate" I'm sure something will pop up.

Skyeclad

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Cory,

Does this list avoid any of the apps that caused an issue with the OTA update? Not that it's a big deal since it's easy to go back but I was wondering... Thanks.

jeffnucci

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I removed all the Samsung widgets and the TouchWiz30Launcher.apk and .odex and have had no problems with ADW installed. I've removed more than what I've seen around the Android community and have had no issues. Seems to run a little smoother. Also have a lagfix installed.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Cory,

Does this list avoid any of the apps that caused an issue with the OTA update? Not that it's a big deal since it's easy to go back but I was wondering... Thanks.

You need all the stock apps intact when doing an OTA update as it checks for them before installing. But you could always update manually instead.

iTz Nicholas72

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So using Super Manager its not little letting me rename the bloatware .apk files to .apk.old

I try and hit rename but once I confirm the change nothing happens and the app keeps the same name...

Nevermind I just had to give the atop root permissions.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
What about VisualVoiceMail.apk? Has anyone removed this? It seems like its always running (that or the vvmservice.apk or whatever) has anyone tried cleaning VVM from their phone? Also, 3g mobile hotspot? This service always shows up for me and i'd just as soon get rid of it as there is no way i am spending 20 bucks a month so random strangers can have wifi...