1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LED light and more

Will all of the brilliant minds in this group, has anyone figured out how to make the LED work? I would love to see a flashing light in my future. Also, any idea how to make the menu lights light up when it's dark? My Moto Droid lite up when I was done with a call but this phone, I'm in the dark.

You can download a number of apps to get the LED flash to light up on command. Menu-keys is a whole 'nother can of worms.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

NO easy way? I need my light especially at work with my kids everywhere and in meetings, etc.

Are you comfortable with suggesting an app and walking me thru it? I have Root Explorer now...

Maybe we're talking about two different things.

There is no LED notification light. You don't have anything to blink for a notification. It's not physically there.

The LED flash on the camera can be controlled to be used for a flash light. You can press a button to turn it on and off. There are a number of "flashlight" apps for that purpose.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

There is no notification light on this phone at all?? I saw the sensors above the usb, but I was hoping one was a light and the other a sensor. I called Samsung and was told that there was a indicator light. She lied!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

One is a light sensor, the other is a proximity sensor. No LED unfortunately

You can check out NoLED in the market. It puts a colored dot on the screen.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    513 Global Posts

I can't get NoLed to work. Does it need a full battery pull reboot?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I don't think NoLed is fully compatible with the Fascinate. When it does work, it appears to be sporadic. Hopefully the developer will fix this. I love this phone overall, but I absolutely hate that it doesn't have a notification LED. The only other phone I know that doesn't have one is the iPhone.

Not to thread jack but what led flashlight apps work? I tried countless apps in the market and all my faithul HTC Incredible apps (Lampuu for one, its widget being my favorite) and none of them work. I am rooted...

No led notification really sucks but I did see that in the specs before I bought it. It would have cost all of $.10 tops to incorporate on a nearly perfect phone (TouchWhiz blows and Bing is fixed). This is 2010, a top of the line phone should have a notification led. And I thought the Incredibles microscopic green/orange bicolor led sucked at notifying me. Your best bet is downloading the missed call app. At least it'll buzz and/or make a sound at a pre-determined interval to let you know you got something.

The one I use is called "Tiny Flashlight + LED"

Thanks, works great. Never seen or have heard of this one before.

Well to all the app developers out there, I would donate a few beers for a hack that would make one of the soft keys act like a notification light.....

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bwhite757 View Post
    Well to all the app developers out there, I would donate a few beers for a hack that would make one of the soft keys act like a notification light.....
    I had this exact same thought yesterday after reading the post. It would probably take a tiny program to be written that when ever there is a notification from e-mail, text, missed call or voicemail to flash the light behind the soft keys. I have a feeling it is just one light behind all the keys.

If only I was a programer....

On the Incredible there are 2 leds, on the fascinate there are 4 individual led AND they are driven individually. When you touch one of the buttons, the led flickers off and on. That said, it still wont be easy (more than likely not possible) to control these leds. Theres no API to control these (unless something has changed). You could do something simular to the noLed app and set the screen to stay on but display a black sceen and find a way to manipulate the light sensor and\or simulate a keypress. Of course that approach would not be great for battery life.

Missed Call for Android 2.x works really good for me. It amazes me there's no missed call alert, nut in Samsungs defense, my Moto Droid was the same why when I first got it. Maybe 2.2 will have something built in for this... :P

+1 for the capacitive button LED blink notifier... I would buy one.

Each button could be programmed blink for a different type of notification (ie. one for SMS, one for missed call, one for email, etc...)

Speaking of Flashlight apps... I was using appbrain on my phone to look at the installed apps and came accross something called "Pineone Flashlite Plugin". I did a google search and didn't come up with anything. Anyone know what this is?

edit: It just occurred to me... this is probably a light version of Adobe Flash...huh?
    Last edited by j32driver; 09-18-2010 at 09:13 AM.

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    I don't think NoLed is fully compatible with the Fascinate. When it does work, it appears to be sporadic. Hopefully the developer will fix this. I love this phone overall, but I absolutely hate that it doesn't have a notification LED. The only other phone I know that doesn't have one is the iPhone.
    I noticed the other day there was an update for NoLed. I downloaded it and it works perfectly all the time on my (OK what are we going to use for nickname? Nate or Fassy?) Pressing power key turns off the dot. Pressing power key again brings up screen. I wish it just required one key press, but, hey it's better than nothing and solves the problem for me.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I might have missed something but my fascinate has three "bulbs" or "sensors" beside the earpiece. We know what 2 are what is the third?

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by smoke5643 View Post
    I might have missed something but my fascinate has three "bulbs" or "sensors" beside the earpiece. We know what 2 are what is the third?
    i think what the first question was about was that the fascinate goes dark once ya take a call..and if you need to punch in numbers well its like being a mushroom,, but i learned this and it helps all the way.. in settings go to 2 minutes for screen shut off,,, this gives you time to remove the phone from the upright position to a flat position where the lighting will relight... once a call is made before the screen dies, if phone is layin on table then when raised it will turn lights back on.. the 2 min gives you time to move the menu phone dialer etc .
    after that there is no problem.

but stock ph will shut down screen in about 15 seconds.. leaving everyone in the dark..

ROM
    GummyCharged

Quote Originally Posted by papa54 View Post
    i think what the first question was about was that the fascinate goes dark once ya take a call..and if you need to punch in numbers well its like being a mushroom,, but i learned this and it helps all the way.. in settings go to 2 minutes for screen shut off,,, this gives you time to remove the phone from the upright position to a flat position where the lighting will relight... once a call is made before the screen dies, if phone is layin on table then when raised it will turn lights back on.. the 2 min gives you time to move the menu phone dialer etc .
    after that there is no problem.

but stock ph will shut down screen in about 15 seconds.. leaving everyone in the dark..
    This was a pretty old thread.. just sayin'.