Wireless Tether 4 Root on Fascinate

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
@Facing the Giants
Did you get a popup to give the wireless tether app superuser access?

@awskier08
Yes, as it's using your phones 3G service to forward to connected devices. Although, Verizon requires an unlimited data plan with phones like this so it shouldn't be an issue.

1968lew

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Help!

New droid user here. I get the same message as Facing the Giants - unable to start tethering, please try again. No, there is no popup asking for superuser permission. What do I need to to?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
For those of you with Win7, make sure your WiFi drivers are updated, especially if using an Intel chip. Every tether program failed with my Win7 x64 laptop until I upgraded my intel 5300 drivers. After that it works perfectly.

Sounds like there might be a real issue with the 6200, but always update drivers first.

I'm using pre-14 FWIW.

Also, from the previously posted bug @ google. Worth a shot.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit on a Lenovo Thinkpad T410, and was also unable to connect to the hotspot with my Intel Wireless-N 6150 card. To fix this issue, I made the following change:

- Under the Advanced tab of the wireless card's Device Properties (in Device Manager), I changed the "Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g" setting to match the same channel I have configured in the Hotspot app (in this case, Channel 11).

IVIustang

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the list of having problems. I can't get Wireless Tether OR Barnacle to work. I'm definitely rooted. Like the poster above, my laptop sees the available ad hoc networks, and it acts like it is connected but it connects with an exclamation mark and it won't load any websites, etc.

What's really weird is I had wireless tether working just fine on my first fascinate. This is a replacement device and it won't work.

ETA: I think I discovered my problem...I have a static IP address due to a port forwarding setting I'm using on the router...these wifi tether programs don't like static IPs. As soon as I delete the static IP Barnacle Legacy worked just fine. I actually didn't test Wireless Tether. Will update when I do.

Can you please elaborate on how you deleted the static IP? I have been trying to connect to the 'net for about three weeks now, and nothing anyone has suggested has worked...

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Can you please elaborate on how you deleted the static IP? I have been trying to connect to the 'net for about three weeks now, and nothing anyone has suggested has worked...

I am pretty sure he means that he had a static IP set on his laptop wifi adapter... A wireless tether app won't work if you set the address on your laptop manually and it's not in the right range (the one the tether app is using) so it's best to set your laptop to "automatically obtain an IP address" in the tcp settings so it can get the right address from the tether app.

antilabel

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I can only get it to work with a static IP

Add me to the list of having problems. I can't get Wireless Tether OR Barnacle to work. I'm definitely rooted. Like the poster above, my laptop sees the available ad hoc networks, and it acts like it is connected but it connects with an exclamation mark and it won't load any websites, etc.

What's really weird is I had wireless tether working just fine on my first fascinate. This is a replacement device and it won't work.

ETA: I think I discovered my problem...I have a static IP address due to a port forwarding setting I'm using on the router...these wifi tether programs don't like static IPs. As soon as I delete the static IP Barnacle Legacy worked just fine. I actually didn't test Wireless Tether. Will update when I do.

I am running Vista on a Lenovo T500 and I have had to change my IP to:
IP 192.168.2.103
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.2.254

And DNS I had to add:

Doing this is the only way Wireless Tether will work on this laptop. Any other computer I didn't have to do this so I'm not sure if it is a vista thing or a Lenovo thing, because I have only ever tried with my powerbook or an XP machine.
Haven't gotten Barnacle to work at all on this machine though.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a Vista thing. I didn't get into trying to make it work, but my girlfriends Vista laptop was the only system I tested it on that wouldn't work. Both my XP (IBM) and 7 (Asus) laptops connected no problem.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
And you are rooted correct? The popup I was referring to would be to give the app superuser permission to run. If you are rooted do you see Wireless Tether (there will be 2) in the list of allowed apps if you run the superuser app? If so, remove them and try again.

Reactions: Facing the Giants
I do not know if I'm rooted correctly. I am de binged and have root access via root explorer. Perhaps there is something else I missed.

I don't have Superuser app, at least not that shows up on my list of apps via home key etc.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

fstbusa

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
This is a possibility my laptop has Intel 6250. Can anyone else verify if they are having problems with the 6200?

I have the Intel Centrino Advanced N-6200 AGN and canNOT connect. I've tried all different versions and all different settings and still a no go. Also have the latest drivers for the adapter. :(

Last edited:

muzhik

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I have the Intel Centrino Advanced N-6200 AGN and canNOT connect. I've tried all different versions and all different settings and still a no go. Also have the latest drivers for the adapter. :(

n6300 here and it works like a charm, in the app itself, make sure that your channel is at 01, if you change channel, you gotta change to the corresponding channel on your computer, device manage, wifi card adapter properties

device manager --> wifi card --> properties --> advanced --> ad hoc channel 802.11b/g

hope this helps...

Last edited:

Johnny 99

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with my wireless tether. The tether won't connect to the computer /start to tether. I get an error message stating can't connect try again. When I checked the log it states that on 1/25/11 @ 18:30 that, Disabling Forwarding... , Disabling NAT rules, Tethering Now Stopped all these statement have Done below them in a green print.
I reinstalled the wireless tether file but it still won't work.
Verizon also installed some phone app that automatically updates phone features called Innopath or something like that on the 27th at 5:00am. Any ideas what I can do?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with my wireless tether. The tether won't connect to the computer /start to tether. I get an error message stating can't connect try again. When I checked the log it states that on 1/25/11 @ 18:30 that, Disabling Forwarding... , Disabling NAT rules, Tethering Now Stopped all these statement have Done below them in a green print.
I reinstalled the wireless tether file but it still won't work.
Verizon also installed some phone app that automatically updates phone features called Innopath or something like that on the 27th at 5:00am. Any ideas what I can do?

The messages in your log are normal. They'll appear when tethering does work. There has to be some other reason why it's not starting. Turn off any access controls or encryption you may have set. Also, select a common channel, like 6.

Innopath was always on your phone unless you installed a ROM that didn't have it. What you got was most likely an update. That's the app that VZ uses to send updates OTA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze