Epic 4G dump

myester

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone considered taking the vanilla launcher out of the Epic system dump and putting it into the Fascinate? Would this cause issues with the Fascinate? Being new Android phones I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on something like this. Thanks!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
10-4. We tried that, and it didn't seem to work. Someone (looking at you Rufflez and Newman :p) needs to try packaging it as a flashable update and try installing it that way.

Also, if anyone is still hanging on 2.1 on their Droid, that launcher's worth a try too.

myester

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
okay, this is not good. I pasted the file into the system/app folder. Now it will boot up, but just show a black screen after the Verizon logo. Any help would be great!

cubain009

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Not looking good. Did that and no change. Verizon logo stays there for awhile and then a black screen. If I hit a soft key, they light up, and that's it
Once you do the restore hold the two volume keys down and press the power button this will take you into recovery. Use the volume keys to go up and down and the home screen button to select. Do a wipe cache, should be good after if not do a factory reset also.

myester

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Once you do the restore hold the two volume keys down and press the power button this will take you into recovery. Use the volume keys to go up and down and the home screen button to select. Do a wipe cache, should be good after if not do a factory reset also.

I tried to download the files from the "back to stock" post. The files came back as a 404 error. Went to the XDA-Developers link that post and did did both the wipe cache and factory reset.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Hrm, sorry pal, wish I could've stopped you here.. I did the same thing using the Vibrant Browser.apk and bricked the phone (before angel's odin /system file was available). It's a little more complicated than just replacing an apk, unfortunately.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Tips from someone who's bricked countless phones, and used to be one of the drones that used fancy cables to reprogram them:

Be sure you have a reliable way to return to where you started.
Try installing the apk as a normal file
Try installing the apk as root via adb
Try pushing the apk to the correct location
Try pushing the apk to the correct place while in recovery
Try installing the apk through recovery (as an update)
Never waste time trying any of this without logging via logcat if possible
always start logcat at reboot asap if possible
have plenty of cheap beer on hand.

Files that have other dependencies, or that have been modified by the carrier (like brandon's browser :p ) will need dis-assembled, edited, and repacked/resigned. Google apktool and deodex to learn more about that. Hit eBay for a CDMA Android phone that has a bad ESN to practice on -- they're cheap. Don't practice on the device you use every day, or one day you'll have to go without it :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc