Clockworkmod Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I just decided to go ahead and do it. Instructions are fool proof.

Thanks to all NameBrandon and all those over at XDA who tested and worked on this!

Edit- Say I delete some bloatware and screw something up, how would I go about restoring what was screwed up?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I just decided to go ahead and do it. Instructions are fool proof.

Thanks to all NameBrandon and all those over at XDA who tested and worked on this!

Edit- Say I delete some bloatware and screw something up, how would I go about restoring what was screwed up?

Nice.. I like the attitude! ;) Glad you got it working!

We don't have a 100% stock flash to go back to at this point, more like ~98% ;) You would just re-flash the /system and kernel files via odin found here.

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks- I joined XDA yesterday, not to post, as I have nothing to add, but mainly because I like the vibe (ie.- guys know their stuff).

Thank again, and I can't wait for some interesting things to start happening. Judging by the speed of things so far, it won't be very long.

steeeler#AC

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Im having problems mounting my SD card while in recovery. I flashed koush's latest recovery but still no luck. I cant even access it using the soft boot recovery method.

Any ideas anyone?

thrillhouse847

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Just came back from one of the 30th anniversary Roger Waters The Wall tour shows in Chicago to this news. A great night just got better, been waiting for this!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

noobdroid

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Just a question I just noticed that in CWM recovery there is now an option for the fasicnate.Do we still need to follow the directions from here first before we use the fascinate option?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Ok thanks for the info.Also since I have rom manager already installed do I have to uninstall it first before I flash with odin

It wouldn't hurt. From a technical perspective, you souldn't need to. Just obviously make sure you get the latest CMW recovery binary to flash.. Last night when Koush pushed it, I this it was 2.5.1.0.. so anything after that should be correct.

Some people have reported that flashing CMW recovery twice helped resolve some issues. That makes no sense to me, but it shouldn't hurt anything either.

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I knew I should've looked here first..

I was fiddling with my phone this morning and went into ROM Manager and noticed that there was the option for 'Fascinate' under Clockwork Recovery.

So, I went ahead and downloaded and flash the recovery and all seemed to go well. Version 2.5.1.0 was installed- or so I thougt.

I'm having some problems.

Whenever I flash into recovery, or attempt to create a backup I'm given this error in the Android System Recovery:

E:failed to verify whole-life signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

When I restart the phone, ROM Manager suggests I either erase clockwork recovery or downgrade to an old version of CM and then re-flash to the newest version.

Neither of those work. I can't find an option to delete the recovery and when trying to download and old version of CM, I'm given an error.

I'm not sure what to do now.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I was fiddling with my phone this morning and went into ROM Manager and noticed that there was the option for 'Fascinate' under Clockwork Recovery.

So, I went ahead and downloaded and flash the recovery and all seemed to go well. Version 2.5.1.0 was installed- or so I thougt.

I'm having some problems.

Whenever I flash into recovery, or attempt to create a backup I'm given this error in the Android System Recovery:

E:failed to verify whole-life signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

When I restart the phone, ROM Manager suggests I either erase clockwork recovery or downgrade to an old version of CM and then re-flash to the newest version.

Neither of those work. I can't find an option to delete the recovery and when trying to download and old version of CM, I'm given an error.

I'm not sure what to do now.

CWM recovery isn't magic my friend. :) You need to flash your kernel for this to work. Follow the steps on the first page.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
is there an easy way to do any of this on a mac?

Easy? No unfortunately. It's still possible, so maybe someone will break it down for you when they've done it.. Koush released a utility called bmunlock this morning which allows us to flash a kernel from the shell, using 'dd'.

So everything would be the same, except using odin, you would shell into the device and run the bmunlock, then the dd command to flash the kernel partition.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Help

OK, all done!

Important

- There have been reports of lagfix making nandroid run extremely slow. We have seen on entire system crash due to lagfix + CWM. Removing lagfix first is HIGHLY recommended.

You need to have the Samsung drivers installed for Odin to work correctly.

x64
http://www.wikifilez.com/root files/epic4g/usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip

x32
http://www.wikifilez.com/root files/epic4g/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.exe

Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone. hold down ONLY volume-down key. wait a few seconds)

1 - Load odin (make sure it detects your device. You should get one yellow "Com" port box).
2 - apply .tar file via odin (use the PDA box) - link below (DO NOT EVER, EVER USE THE PHONE BOX!)
3 - when phone reboots, install ROM Manager from market
4 - go into ROM Manager, flash Clockworkmod
5 - reboot into recovery via ROM Manager (don't manually reboot, choose the option in ROM Manager)
6 - apply update.zip (home key selects an option in stock recovery)
7 - you should now be in CWM recovery
**IMPORTANT**
When in CWM recovery, the power button is used to select options, don't use the home key. Home key turns the screen off. Don't freak out, just hit the home key again.

CWM recovery - Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Known issues
1. Mounting /sdcard from CWM Recovery via ROM Manager doesn't work. (**No longer an issue**)

This problem should only occur if you've flashed CWM Recovery from ROM Manager before 8:40 CST (9/20/2010). Koush has since released a new CWM recovery that resolves this issue. (2.5.1.0)

Angel (fallingup at xda) has done a great job posting thanks to everyone who helped out with this, so I'm just gonna steal his credits.

Fire up the ovens, kitchens open, order up!

Loaded Odin - got yellow comm box. Was trying to apply CWM recovery and it failed. Pulled battery and now I turn on the phone and all I get is a cell phone icon and a cpu icon with exclamation mark in between. Please advise.

Edit: Pulled battery and pushed lower volume button while inserting USB cord - worked but had to install battery and restart manually

Last edited:
Reactions: curley

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Loaded Odin - got yellow comm box. Was trying to apply CWM recovery and it failed. Pulled battery and now I turn on the phone and all I get is a cell phone icon and a cpu icon with exclamation mark in between. Please advise.

Edit: Pulled battery and pushed lower volume button while inserting USB cord - worked but had to install battery and restart manually

You're back up though? I ran into that issue once, but it was with a different kernel.. You will have to put the battery back in and reboot manually. All ok though?

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I'm assuming I choose Galaxy S Fascinate for the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery in ROM Manager? Another newbie question - once in CWM recovery, then what. Im assuming I'll be able to create a backup of my current state.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Yeah. I'm assuming I choose Galaxy S Fascinate for the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery in ROM Manager? Another newbie question - once in CWM recovery, then what. Im assuming I'll be able to create a backup of my current state.

Yeah, you should be able to go to backup/restore (something like that) then you should get the option to create a backup via nandroid.

Yes, you chose wisely with 'Fascinate'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.