How to Escape the Force Close Loop of Hell

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Cory ...

I must thank you (on top of the Thanks button), for posting this information. Also, thanks to others who posted tidbits of information regarding "recovery" of a phone.

Last night, I was attempting to do the JT's Clean ROM. It would seem that when I thought that I had downloaded all of the ROM (rom, extras, no-voodoo kernel).. that it was only the no-Voodoo kernel that made it initially .. I proceeded with the "Backup/Wipe" of the phone (probably while the ROM was still being downloaded). Needless to say, the kernel update worked, but I had no updated ROM .. and due to the Data/Cache Wipe, I was left with a Stock Fascinate with new kernel.

I initially knew no other option than to just restore the backup that I had prior to the kernel update. ... This is when I screwed the pooch .. During the Restore.. I stupidly decided to play around with the SD Card .. well, I accidentally ejected it.. which immediately failed the restore.

To make matters worse, I could then not get the SD Card to be recognized, the "update.zip" wouldn't work in the normal Android Recover screen, thus, I couldn't get back to CWRecovery to re-attempt Restore ..

I found this thread, as well as other threads which talked about returning to Stock..

I was able to use Odin to flash the original Kernel, as well as the proper Recovery, along with the posted Stock Fascinate image ... I then had other problems (including force-close hell at one point)...

All-in-all.. after quite a bit of effort, I was able to get my phone back to a stable point. I was then able to restore my pre-ROM Backup, (ensuring not to touch the SD Card).

Once I was reset back to the point prior to attempting ROM.. I re-attempted the Clean ROM, this time being sure to update in the following order..

JT's Clean ROM - reboot / backup / wipe / install
-- installed CWMod, and ROM Manager
noVoodoo Kernel - Reboot / Backup / install
extras - reboot/backup/install

If you guys hadn't have posted all these tips a while back, then I'd be waiting for a new phone in the mail ...

Thanks

Reactions: Cory Streater

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate your "thanks" and for sharing your experience. I'm also glad it worked out for you! What a nightmare that day was when it happened to me.

Reactions: rw9

rw9

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Ran into this issue while playing around with the voodoo kernel's the other night. Between the force close loop and the 0.00 space available problem, it took a few hours to fully recover. Thanks for posting this as it was literally my reference guide while battling everything out....

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
Ok. I think I have a new one. I had to go through these steps to end the FCL of hell, then remove voodoo using XDA's method, and I'm back up and running.

Now the phone acts as if I've enabled the (missing) option to disable "always-on 3G/EVDO". If I am not connected to wifi and wake my phone, the 3G icon does not appear. The only problem this has caused is that I can't access the Market without opening the browser or initiating a data connection some other way. Within a minute of not using data, 3G goes back off. Also, I was talking to my parents last night and they said there was some "reverberation" in my voice.

Any ideas? Is it possible to copy the stock modem file from the system dump to the phone without bricking it (again)?

Actually, I don't think I've flashed the stock kernel back. Would that help?

Shermanmanman

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone can help. I followed all the steps to get rid of the force closing on my phone, and I'm at the end of it waiting for my phone to reboot after running the ClockworkMod. Does the reboot take a while, or is it supposed to be instant??

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
I'm wondering if anyone can help. I followed all the steps to get rid of the force closing on my phone, and I'm at the end of it waiting for my phone to reboot after running the ClockworkMod. Does the reboot take a while, or is it supposed to be instant??

Did your phone boot back up? It does take 10-15 minutes after restoring the JT Clean ROM.

I just wish someone would help with my radio issue. It's getting annoying to have intermittent network connections that go down whenever I try to retrieve data.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
So I think it's fixed. Had to go into the hidden menus for phone diags to set the network mode from "None" to "WCDMA (Preferred). Then changed DSA back to factory. So far I haven't dropped a data connection. In 5 minutes. Let's hope it's fixed for good!

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The screen went black from the timeout. When I turned it back on, the phone took about 1-2 minutes to connect to Verizon. Back to the workbench! :-(

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

spinwizard

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
You guys are the best!

Thank you Cory, and anyone who had a hand in putting this together. I thougght I was screwed (bricked). I played so much modding my phone, trying to find just the right mix, I got into that "loop from hell". I followed th OP and I have a new Fascinate, without having to go to VZW for a referb.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!:D

JeffWNC1

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
This ended some FC issues but I still have FC when I try to download apps from the market. I also only have WiFi, no 3g. When I try to dial phone says I am in airplane mode, but I am not. If I deselect airplane mode in settings, it some how gets selected again, and again....

Verizon is over-nighting a new phone to me and I am sending this phone back, but I am afraid they will see the superuser app icon and void warrenty. Superuser can't uninstall. Any ideas anyone?

vidiot1

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
why is it that it's saying that my sd card is "the disk is write protected"? and wont let me put the zip file on? I know the tab is no set

Last edited:

vidiot1

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
it took some work but i got it , thanks. one problem, my phone shows 0 memory available and wont let me download any apps. any suggestions?

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
Do/did you have a lagfix applied? If still applied, you'll have to remove it then go back through the steps in the first post. The Voodoo lagfix had to be removed manually in my case, which was a royal PITA.

To everyone reading this, lagfix does nothing except create a something akin to a swap partition within the internal storage using a file system that is slightly faster than the stock RFS filesystem. If you really think it makes a difference other than boosting your Quadrant score for one of 5 benchmark tests, then keep it. Those of us who want to realize the true potential of the Fascinate when Froyo gets here are leaving things be.

Actually, there are faster kernels and ROMs available without using the lagfix method. Just check out the stuff jt1334 @ XDA is churning out. At least with his work you can go back to stock without the nightmare of removing lagfix, restore w/ Odin, and then unrooting the phone, as needed.

Or read all responses to a thread before jumping head-first into the deep end of an empty pool. ;)

NovaSS369

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Cory please help! -

I have done all the steps before this and it reads the following when I choose to update it:

Finding Update package...
Opening Update package...
Verifying Update package...
E: faled to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation Aborted

Please help me, I swear to God if I get it fixed I will PayPal you some cash. I have had it for a half a day :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz