Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Exclamation How to Escape the Force Close Loop of Hell

Yesterday morning, after an attempt to install the Samsung keyboard from the Vibrant, I found myself in a force close loop after rebooting. The Fascinate was able to boot past the Verizon logo, but once at the "home screen", I saw a steady stream of TW, acore, and a bunch of other FC popups.

No problem, I thought. I figured I could just follow the How to go back to stock sticky. However, no matter how many times I flashed the Odin restore file, my phone would go into an endless force close reboot after the Verizon logo. Somehow I managed to totally corrupt my 32GB SD card in the process. OMFG, I thought. 2 hours later I was at the Verizon store buying a replacement. 8 hours later, I had read through enough threads and posts to finally cobble together a solution. In the process, I read where other people have had this issue after applying the lag fix. I think I've seen a few other instances of it too, and several other desperate cries for help.

So here's how I fixed it (I want to thank namebrandon from the AC forums and wasupwithhuman from the XDA forums for their contributions):

Note: If you've already downloaded Odin before you can skip steps 5 & 6 below.

1) Download .
    2) Power off phone.
    3) Press and hold the volume-down key.
    4) Plug your Fascinate into the computer via USB cable.

You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.

5) Download the Odin executable .
    6) Open Odin.
    7) Click on the PDA button.

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to step 8. Click the PDA button. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

8) Choose the CWMrecovery.tar file you downloaded in step 1 & then click the Start button in Odin.

The phone will reboot when finished & will continue to force close. Do not panic. The Fascinate can be unplugged from your computer at this point.

9) Download the attached update.zip (CWR) file (thanks namebrandon).
    10) Move update.zip file to SD card (you will likely need an SD card reader to do this).
    11) Power off Fascinate (takes a bit to power off).
    12) Press and hold the volume up and the volume down keys at the same time.
    13) Press and hold the power button.
    14) Release the power button when you see the Samsung logo.

You should now see "Android System Recovery <2e>" at the top of your screen. Reboot system now will be highlighted.

15) Press the volume down button, once, to highlight the option to apply sdcard:update.zip. Then press the home button to select and apply the update.

Once flashed, the Fascinate will reboot into Clockworld Recovery. Let it be, while you complete the next steps.

16) Download . (thanks wasupwithhuman @XDA).
    17) Remove the SD card from your Fascinate and insert into computer with an SD card reader.
    18) Create a folder on your SD card called clockworkmod.
    19) Create a sub folder inside of clockworkmod called backup.
    20) Unzip the file downloaded in step 16 and place the 2010-09-21.18.31.12 folder inside the backup folder you created in step 19.
    21) Remove SD card from computer and insert into Fascinate.
    22) In CWM select backup and restore -> restore -> 2010-09-21.18.31.12 (use the volume rocker to highlight menu options and the power button to execute the highlighted item).

Once complete, the phone will reboot and you should be out of the force close loop of hell.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cory Streater; 10-01-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Thanked by 24:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

If you need to use Odin, and have not installed the Samsung Drivers for your computer you can get the from here (thanks wikifilez!):

x64

x32
    FD2
    Shadow Lurker

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sucks to be you.
    I'm not a star, somebody lied
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FD2 View Post
    Sucks to be you.
    Indeed, you butthead (I can call him that because I know FD2 personally )

I wish this was posted a couple of days ago. That way I'd still have the Fascinate with a GOOD GPS instead of this one, maybe. . However, mine would do nothing with Odin (or Odin could do nothing with the phone). Odin would not recognize the phone in the download screen. I don't know why.

I'm shortly going to root the new one. I will stay a mile or so away from ROM Manager and Clockwork there. When a Fascinate ROM shows up there, I will give it a look. Maybe theit Fascinate and CWM issue will be resolved by then. I will be sure to use the CWM thread here to install. Looks like rooting the new phone will be necessary to "maybe" fix the GPS.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nils Business Sense ICS

Ok I'm confused about one thing - where do you get the update.zip file from?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I will stay a mile or so away from ROM Manager and Clockwork there.
    If nothing else, I would use it to make a Nandroid backup of your ROM once you have everything to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by ktez View Post
    Ok I'm confused about one thing - where do you get the update.zip file from?
    Sorry, I guess I didn't attach it earlier. All fixed now.
    Last edited by Cory Streater; 10-01-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Unhappy Help!!!

My Fascinate is stuck in doing the FC can anyone help me get it back also im on a mac. Also send it back to verizon and exchange it for will there be a problem if i do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ROM
    GummyCharged

Can some please host the file elsewhere. I cant seem to download it, it gets to about 1mb and fails every time. Thanks to anyone who can. I am also in the loop of hell when all i did is boot into recovery and wipe my data and cache and I wasnt even rooted LOL.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by good90033 View Post
    My Fascinate is stuck in doing the FC can anyone help me get it back also im on a mac. Also send it back to verizon and exchange it for will there be a problem if i do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry, but you're going to need Windows to run ODIN, either using Bootcamp, and possibly Parallels (untested).

Quote Originally Posted by derichio02 View Post
    Can some please host the file elsewhere. I cant seem to download it, it gets to about 1mb and fails every time. Thanks to anyone who can. I am also in the loop of hell when all i did is boot into recovery and wipe my data and cache and I wasnt even rooted LOL.
    Try this link:

Mirror:
    Thanked by 2:

Unhappy FC Loop

im still within my 30 days on my fascinate can i take it back or should i try and fix FC loop?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Yes, but fixing the FC loop isn't as daunting as it might seem. That said, if you don't have access to a PC, then an exchange is obviously your only choice.

ROM
    GummyCharged

Thanks for the file Cory!! Flashing now
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. AFAIK, you will be the first person besides me to have used my procedure.
    Thanked by 2:

New to Android and hacking. I just want to clarify that this is basically just an emergency install of CWM, and flashing a stock ROM. If you already have CWM and your phone backed up this isn't a probably, right? You would just flash your backup ROM.

Appreciate all the help, trying to learn as much as I can about recovery before digging into rooting and custom ROMs too much.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

That is true, yes.

Default ........

This just happened to me when I tried to wipe back to factory data/settings. Hopefully when I get home it will be an easy task.

I have a problem with your solution to the error loop - In following your instructions When i boot into the "android system recovery" and choose " apply sdcard/update.zip" and press the home button it says the following:

#Manual Mode#

-- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to open/sdcard/update.zip(no such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

I have followed your instructions to the " T " but cannot get passed this part of the solution so i have not been able to reboot into the CWRecovery Utility to finish the process.

Hopefully you or someone else sees my error and can supply the solution. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by kipnukmals View Post
    I have a problem with your solution to the error loop - In following your instructions When i boot into the "android system recovery" and choose " apply sdcard/update.zip" and press the home button it says the following:

#Manual Mode#

-- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to open/sdcard/update.zip(no such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

I have followed your instructions to the " T " but cannot get passed this part of the solution so i have not been able to reboot into the CWRecovery Utility to finish the process.

Hopefully you or someone else sees my error and can supply the solution. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    you need to place the update.zip that is attached to the first post in the root of your sd card.

the error is saying there is no update.zip found, and thus it's not running anything.
    Thanked by:

i'll thank you once i find out this works cory! j/k..

i could've sworn i did something different last time and it worked just fine.. but i cant remember for the life of me what it was..

First, i will assume we are talking about the removable sd card. So i have installed this update file to the sd card but it still doesnt find it. This update.zip file is a zip file that has not been extracted(correct?) My fascinate is rooted or was rooted prior to this error loop beginning. Will root make a difference? i have used the one click root as well as the command prompt version of the root process.

did you flash the clockwork mod tar using odin?

if you haven't done that, then it won't load the update.zip to get to CWM
    Thanked by:

Default .

Adiliyo I can see that it worked for you last night.... lol, thats whats up.

yes i have done everything according to the cory streater post on how to recover from the "error loop ". Last night i also tried to root phone again using the "cmd prompt method" and at the very last step
    ( copy/paste "adb shell " ) of flashing the sd card the prompt shows an error message " device not found ". It is all very puzzleing to me. I guess i will keep searching for the answer, thanks for your help

I just want to thank Cory for this valuable information. I finally got it to work after a couple of days, no fault of the instructions, but just my stupidity. ( i have downloaded quite a few update.zip files over the past couple of days and was flashing the wrong one to the sd card). This process does work. I would also like to thank the people who responded to my original cry for help. Thanks again to all.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast