Simplest way to dump Verizon add-ons?

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I am considering dumping my (Sprint) HTC Hero and switching to a (Verizon) Samsung Fascinate. I'm not concerned with hacking it for hacking's sake, I just want to avoid dealing with any Verizon crap add-ons. So, what is the easiest way -- if one exists -- to bring the Fascinate back to base Android?

As an example, on the Hero there have been many alternate ROMs based on both Sprint's 2.1 release as well as CM's 2.2, but now the best one seems to be a rooted and mildly-overclocked version of the latest/final Sprint 2.1 ".7" release. In other words, nothing at all fancy, just the latest kernel and HTC Sense files from Sprint/HTC (but rooted so you can remove all the Sprint add-ons).

Is there anything comparable for the Fascinate yet? Thank you for any suggestions!

P.S. I'm not asking about rooting, I've already done my research and understand how to do that.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
You can hide any VZW appswith ADW or launcher Pro. I only see the apps I want in my app drawer. I completely De-Bing, you just need to follow the guide after rooting.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the only thing we have (that's simple and very stable) is to just debloat it by either freezing or removing stock apps.

yes you will need root to do that though.

custom rom's with an AOSP version of android are on their way (there is one out now, but it's in the early stages)

once we get a working 2.2 kernel though, the floodgates should open.

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice! is there a list of known-safe-to-remove apps? I know from my experience with the Hero that some apps sound unfamiliar/unneeded but are actually required.