If i root and 2.2 comes out...

Chrisvklein

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
if one were to root on their 2.1 Fascinate, and magically 2.2 were to drop lets say... November 30th... then would it be a process to upgrade to 2.2?

also, would there be a 2.2 root? or a reason to root at 2.2?

i'm particular interested in wiping all remnants of Microsoft from my google-based phone.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Rooting does nothing permanent to your phone. Yes, root will there for 2.2, and yes there will be a reason for it, just like there is for 2.1

Don't worry so much. :) :D

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yea, you would just most likely (almost definitely) lost root, and then have to wait for a new process (unless the old one works...) to re-root.

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
and if im not mistaken the 2.2 update will fail unless the system\app folder is as the way it was originally. So if you removed any bloatware you would have to add it back before updating.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
and if im not mistaken the 2.2 update will fail unless the system\app folder is as the way it was originally. So if you removed any bloatware you would have to add it back before updating.

correct.

either make a nandroid before removing/renaming apps, use TiB to freeze them, or use odin to have a completely stock system.

we've got some time before the update hits though...

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I possibly ran CWM after I renamed apps (but did nothing else root wise). I'm not sure if I did it before I removed bloat or after. Will this make it more difficult to return to stock when the 2.2 update comes out? :(

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Someone will make a zip you can flash via CWM, don't worry about the OTA. The zip might not happen the first day the update is out, but you'll get to watch people complain about how the buggy OTA messed up their phone before you install :)

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I possibly ran CWM after I renamed apps (but did nothing else root wise). I'm not sure if I did it before I removed bloat or after. Will this make it more difficult to return to stock when the 2.2 update comes out? :(

if you simply renamed files (or moved them) to remove the bloat, then it's simply a matter of naming them back or moving them back to their original names/locations.

personally, i don't think it'll take long to root the ota, and we'll probably have a rooted CW friendly zip we can use to flash.

Reactions: packerbacker

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
if you simply renamed files (or moved them) to remove the bloat, then it's simply a matter of naming them back or moving them back to their original names/locations.

personally, i don't think it'll take long to root the ota, and we'll probably have a rooted CW friendly zip we can use to flash.

Awesome. I'll definitely need some assistance rerooting once 2.2 comes, but for now I'm happy I mustered up the courage to do it, I don't really notice it being faster but my battery life is much better now that I've debloated.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
just disable voodoo, then you should be okay.

trying it won't brick your phone or something, it'll tell you it can't install if the requirements it has aren't met.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet