1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to move files to SD Card

I want to move files from the phones internal storage to the SD card but I am unsure exactly how to do this? Is it as simple as creating a folder on the SD card labeled Bloatware or Junk or Verizon Garbage and moving these apps and files in there? I am rooted and have Asto and Root Explorer. Per the thread on files that are safe to delete I have renamed most of the Verizon stuff. I want to free up my Ram because it seems to be running about 230 to 260 now, where as it was around 180 when I got the phone. Thanks for any help.

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Yup, all you have to do is move the files out of system\apps and onto the SD card. Much easier to do/undo than renaming. You can use root explorer to multi-select all the files at once, click the move button, navigate to the SD card (and your bloatware folder, if you made one) and click the paste button.

Not sure that should free up any memory useage though, since if you renamed the files in apps, they shouldn't be running anymore, but it'll certainly free up the I internal storage space.

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

Chris is correct. Moving unused files wont free up RAM, just storage space. I run in the same range for used RAM so it shouldn't be a big problem since I don't have any sort of lag or hesitation while using my phone. If you reboot it odds are you'll be around 150MB free when you first start up but once you start using a few apps again you'll drop down to that 60-80MB free range like I do. As long as you aren't experiencing any performance issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

the OS is built to use as much of the free ram as possible, so if you clear stuff out to free some up, it will fill it with other things.

stop looking at how much you have and leave it to the OS, it does a fine job of managing it.

but it will free up a minuscule amount of your phone storage space.

Actually you might free up some RAM. I found out the 3G mobile app was running in the background. I moved it off to the SD card and now my RAM is lower.