Rooted and debloated again, battery life is suffering

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
After re-rooting my phone and de-bloating, I am keeping an eye on the battery life and it is dropping like crazy. All I did was apply the 1-click root, debloat a number of apps, and install the google enhanced search apk. Now, my battery is dropping over 5%/hr and I am not using the phone at all. Is my phone just not comfortable without bing???

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
did ya get a new fascinate? if so man, you are having terrible luck... on my rooted and debloated stock rom, I was losing about 20% overnight. just flashed the JT superclean rom last night and lost only about 3% overnight, maybe you should consider going that route as well?

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Flash a new rom and kernel. Kernel developers undervolt their kernels so battery will last longer. A kernel overclocked to 1.2ghz will have the same voltage as the stock 1ghz kernel. Also use setcpu to put the governor scaling on conservative so your processor is not working.g nearly as hard when your not using it.

Also I don't think 5% is too bad on the stock kernel without juice defender.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
did ya get a new fascinate? if so man, you are having terrible luck... on my rooted and debloated stock rom, I was losing about 20% overnight. just flashed the JT superclean rom last night and lost only about 3% overnight, maybe you should consider going that route as well?

They wussed out on giving me a new one, they sent a new battery and I saw the runtime go up a little bit. I de-rooted before i went into the store, gave them a hard time, got a new battery, and after using it a few days got comfortable with the runtime (18 hours or so, with ~3 hours of screen-on time) so I got brave and rooted it again, and that's when it started plummeting. I want to get to the bottom of this pretty bad, so yes I am now going the JT-super-clean route to see how it performs.

Hah, awesome. First shot at the superclean rom and now i have a phone that just plays the verizon logo video over and over again... Hope that backup i made was good.

Last edited:

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
They wussed out on giving me a new one, they sent a new battery and I saw the runtime go up a little bit. I de-rooted before i went into the store, gave them a hard time, got a new battery, and after using it a few days got comfortable with the runtime (18 hours or so, with ~3 hours of screen-on time) so I got brave and rooted it again, and that's when it started plummeting. I want to get to the bottom of this pretty bad, so yes I am now going the JT-super-clean route to see how it performs.

Hah, awesome. First shot at the superclean rom and now i have a phone that just plays the verizon logo video over and over again... Hope that backup i made was good.

did you download a kernel too? sounds like you didn't, and it does seem to take a little bit longer to boot the new rom if you don't flash one of the kernels that comes with JT. I got nervous the first time it booted up after I flashed the new rom since it was taking quite a bit longer at the vzw boot screen. I ended up flashing a new kernel and it's a bit quicker now.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
did you download a kernel too? sounds like you didn't, and it does seem to take a little bit longer to boot the new rom if you don't flash one of the kernels that comes with JT. I got nervous the first time it booted up after I flashed the new rom since it was taking quite a bit longer at the vzw boot screen. I ended up flashing a new kernel and it's a bit quicker now.

No kernel, just the CWM recovery flash. Is it supposed to sit at that splash for like a minute? I did a batt pull after a while of staring at it, and retried it a few times but didnt ever get it to go past that. I am trying to get the backup loaded now, but that's not going real smooth either.

Edit: nevermind, the rom page says no new kernel was included. what kernel is best to use with this rom?

Edit2: got the backup restored so my phone is back to stock+root+debloat... I am thinking about just using the newfound CWM capabilities to re-train the battery and see if it will stabilize. Something is goofy, I unplugged it from the charger and it reported 65%, I rebooted and downloaded rom manager and then started up the battery monitor and it was down to 40% in a matter of like 10 minutes of light use...

Last edited:

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
No kernel, just the CWM recovery flash. Is it supposed to sit at that splash for like a minute?

There's 3 versions of JT's Super Clean rom:

JT Super Clean
JT Super Clean without Voodoo, with colorfix and BLN
JT Super Clean with Voodoo, colorfix and BLN

I'd suggest the first one - straight rom, no kernel, no colorfix or any other hacks. I tried the non Voodoo one with colorfix and got the same as you - stuck on the Verizon screen. Flashed the standard rom, it booted perfectly and has been performing great ever since. 48 hour battery life WITH use.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
There's 3 versions of JT's Super Clean rom:

JT Super Clean
JT Super Clean without Voodoo, with colorfix and BLN
JT Super Clean with Voodoo, colorfix and BLN

I'd suggest the first one - straight rom, no kernel, no colorfix or any other hacks. I tried the non Voodoo one with colorfix and got the same as you - stuck on the Verizon screen. Flashed the standard rom, it booted perfectly and has been performing great ever since. 48 hour battery life WITH use.

OK dumb question: do i need to bite the bullet and buy a license for rom manager? To install the rom, I just downloaded it by hand from the link that JT posted on the XDA forums, and to install it I tried using the free rom manager but it crapped out, i rebooted into CWM and told it to do the upgrade and that's when it took a dump. I assume when you see those options, you are using the pro rom manager and can download straight into the app?

Edit: i tried it again, this time starting it with rom manager free, and it worked! I can't believe that there is only a page and a half of apps on this thing! I feel like I have a bb again! (lol)

Last edited:

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
sweet, glad it's working for you so far! it's unfortunate that they can't get it right for customers right out of the box.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
sweet, glad it's working for you so far! it's unfortunate that they can't get it right for customers right out of the box.

Yeah of all the froyo hype if they can just get better about keeping bloatware on the back burner I will be happy. 8 hours in and still have 78% battery (admittedly with pretty light use of the phone and AIM is not running.) I would have to say the difference is night and day, I don't know what kind of spell got cast onto this rom but it's amazing!

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
And if you're using a 3rd party launcher, you can remove/disable TouchWiz as it's running even if you're not using it as your default launcher. No point having it using resources if you're not using it.

I've debloated even the Super Clean rom - removed TouchWiz, Swipe keyboard (don't like it), Latin input, Backup Assistant, Buddies Now and all the live wallpapers.

Fappy Jones

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
And if you're using a 3rd party launcher, you can remove/disable TouchWiz as it's running even if you're not using it as your default launcher. No point having it using resources if you're not using it.

I've debloated even the Super Clean rom - removed TouchWiz, Swipe keyboard (don't like it), Latin input, Backup Assistant, Buddies Now and all the live wallpapers.

Nice thanks i've been wondering about getting rid of TW Launcher, since i use LP+ but getting rid of swype 0.o...i love swype.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Nice thanks i've been wondering about getting rid of TW Launcher, since i use LP+ but getting rid of swype 0.o...i love swype.

I just never got the hang of swipe, so out it went. And I just removed a few more things:

Anything bluetooth, since I don't use any bluetooth devices
Anything DRM, since I use no rights managed media
Kickback, soundback and talkback, since they're all accessibility related
Samsung setup wizard... for obvious reasons.

Even less bloat and so far, all is well.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I just never got the hang of swipe, so out it went. And I just removed a few more things:

Anything bluetooth, since I don't use any bluetooth devices
Anything DRM, since I use no rights managed media
Kickback, soundback and talkback, since they're all accessibility related
Samsung setup wizard... for obvious reasons.

Even less bloat and so far, all is well.

I find swype to be a ton faster after getting used to it, compared to trying to plod along with my fat thumbs on such a delicate screen. I came from a storm 1 so my thumb muscles had a year of bootcamp style training, they might just not be ready for it yet. BTW, I thought buddiesnow was required for facebook and other social services?

Also, my phone made it a stunning 27 hours before giving me the low battery warning (although talk time and screen-on time was pretty low.) I am letting it sit til it gets to 0% so the battery might "train" itself although I am starting to think the whole battery calibration thing is a placebo and it just uses a RNG to come up with the percentage.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I find swype to be a ton faster after getting used to it, compared to trying to plod along with my fat thumbs on such a delicate screen. I came from a storm 1 so my thumb muscles had a year of bootcamp style training, they might just not be ready for it yet. BTW, I thought buddiesnow was required for facebook and other social services?

Maybe I just didn't give Swipe enough time, but I don't type all that much to begin with and having come from an iPhone, the keyboard on this thing seems downright roomy in comparison, so I find typing on it fairly easy.

And yea, I do recall people finding that things like Facebook had problems signing in after Buddies Now was removed, but since I don't use Facebook, Twitter, et al. it's not an issue for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs