bricked phone, need help!!

itzjonjon69

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I was running the super dark rom + stupidfast kernal and everything was running great, until i wanted to try stupidfast 1.1.4 and i noticed that it said BLN was disabled by default and followed the link to flash a kernal (had no idea that it was a kernal and that it wasnt meant for our phone) long story short. My phone is stuck at the samsung boot screen and continuously reboots and just stays at the samsung screen. I downloaded odin3 and downloaded all the files needed to restore, and flashed all of them successfully but as soon as i reboot it goes back to the samsung logo and reboots all over again :( please help!

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
My phone was in a similar loop a week ago .. Mine got into this state by me accidentally removing my SD Card during a CWMRecovery Restore... yep.. stupid.

Start with This Thread over on XDA. It will replace alot of your phone with Stock stuff so that it hopefully wipes out whatever problem you're having. (I'd start with the Kernel, since that appears to have been what broke your phone) .. if kernel doesn't work, then I'd progress to /system and Recovery files... (i never used the PIT download).

Corey's post about the ForceClose Loop of Hell might also be required after the above is restored.
- this will load the Stock Image. (not sure if this is any different than the /system file above... might be the same thing).

After all of that.. I then restored one of my Nandroid backups taken prior to my problem.. and I then had a phone working again with all my settings restored....

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
just flashed all 3 files without the PIT and same thing continuous at the samsung logo :(

are you able to boot into recovery? does the data/cache wipe do any good?

I believe I'm to the end of my helpfulness... can't think of anything else to try.

--- via tapatalk for android

itzjonjon69

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
are you able to boot into recovery? does the data/cache wipe do any good?

I believe I'm to the end of my helpfulness... can't think of anything else to try.

--- via tapatalk for android
If i flash the clockworkmod.tar i'm easily able to boot into cwm and do all the resets and wipes but it doesn't do anything, however if i flash the stock-i500-vzw-recovery (or whatever its called) when i try to boot into recovery it gives me some error about E: failed whole-file verification or something like that

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you have an external MicroSD card reader? If so, try downloading the CW recovery in Corey's ForceClose Loop thread, put it on your SD card with your computer, boot into CW recovery and try to restore from that.

In my experience, flashing the 3 files with Odin very often leads to force close loops and other gremlins (not sure why, it would seem to be the most direct way to return to stock), but Corey's restore always works perfectly.

If all else fails, you could try this: [How to] Completely Remove Voodoo Lagfix - xda-developers It's for removing Voodoo, but since you seem to be hung very early in the boot process, maybe your problems are master boot record related...

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
If all else fails, you could try this: [How to] Completely Remove Voodoo Lagfix - xda-developers It's for removing Voodoo, but since you seem to be hung very early in the boot process, maybe your problems are master boot record related...

Doesn't sound like it's mbr related, and if he didn't use a PIT file I doubt it is. Save that for an absoute last resort, as it may cause more problems than he started with.

I ran into this issue once, where I (very stupidly, and very early on in my Android experience) flashed an EU i9000 kernel to my Fascinate. This had the very strange effect of bricking my phone, even past the point of where flashing the stock kernel back wouldn't let it boot.

What I did was the flash a leaked version of the US Cellular Fascinate's kernel with odin, which didn't work (as a kernel), but it did reset whatever "broke", and allowed me to then flash back to the stock kernel. I had to specifically extract the kernel from the firmware package, so if you find the firmware package, don't flash the entire thing.

I'll see if I can find it posted somewhere, otherwise I'll grab it for you when I get home tonight.

itzjonjon69

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't sound like it's mbr related, and if he didn't use a PIT file I doubt it is. Save that for an absoute last resort, as it may cause more problems than he started with.

I ran into this issue once, where I (very stupidly, and very early on in my Android experience) flashed an EU i9000 kernel to my Fascinate. This had the very strange effect of bricking my phone, even past the point of where flashing the stock kernel back wouldn't let it boot.

What I did was the flash a leaked version of the US Cellular Fascinate's kernel with odin, which didn't work (as a kernel), but it did reset whatever "broke", and allowed me to then flash back to the stock kernel. I had to specifically extract the kernel from the firmware package, so if you find the firmware package, don't flash the entire thing.

I'll see if I can find it posted somewhere, otherwise I'll grab it for you when I get home tonight.
that's EXACTLY what i did, i flashed a kernel that was designed for the I9000 and it doesn't matter what i flash because it just stays at the samsung screen and just reboots over and over

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Yeah, I hear ya.. put the file below on your sdcard and flash it via CWM recovery (in CWM recovery, do "apply .zip from SD card", "choose .zip", then use this file). See what happens after that flashes.

You *may* not even see a VZW / Galaxy S logo.. that's ok, just give it at least 90-120 seconds of boot time.. then, assuming it fails, use odin to flash back the cwmrecovery.tar .

Here's the link to the file over at XDA (AC file limit size is 2mb. :( )

xda-developers

Make sure what downloads is the novoodoo version, very important. You don't want vooodoo.

Reactions: itzjonjon69

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
If i flash the clockworkmod.tar i'm easily able to boot into cwm and do all the resets and wipes but it doesn't do anything, however if i flash the stock-i500-vzw-recovery (or whatever its called) when i try to boot into recovery it gives me some error about E: failed whole-file verification or something like that

This sounds like your trying to flash an odin "package" (usually .tar files) via CWM recovery (or vice versa). The two methods aren't interchangeable, though they do the same thing.. A CWM .zip to flash a kernel won't work with Odin, etc.. Just a heads up.

itzjonjon69

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I hear ya.. put the file below on your sdcard and flash it via CWM recovery (in CWM recovery, do "apply .zip from SD card", "choose .zip", then use this file). See what happens after that flashes.

You *may* not even see a VZW / Galaxy S logo.. that's ok, just give it at least 90-120 seconds of boot time.. then, assuming it fails, use odin to flash back the cwmrecovery.tar .

Here's the link to the file over at XDA (AC file limit size is 2mb. :( )

xda-developers

Make sure what downloads is the novoodoo version, very important. You don't want vooodoo.
So after i flashed the file via CWM and resetted the phone the samsung logo comes up once and then the phone automatically turns off rather than its usual continuous looping

Last edited:

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I've got a busy night, so if you're still stuck, here is the original US Cellar kernel from September that I ended up flashing via Odin. This doesn't work as a usable kernel, but the process of flashing this, letting it boot / loop / crash for a few minutes, allowed me to then use Odin to flash back the standard Verizon Fascinate kernel (or CWMrecovery.tar) via Odin.

Give it a try if you're still stuck.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

itzjonjon69

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got a busy night, so if you're still stuck, here is the original US Cellar kernel from September that I ended up flashing via Odin. This doesn't work as a usable kernel, but the process of flashing this, letting it boot / loop / crash for a few minutes, allowed me to then use Odin to flash back the standard Verizon Fascinate kernel (or CWMrecovery.tar) via Odin.

Give it a try if you're still stuck.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
NO WAY... so after i flashed the file u attached with odin it's still stuck at the samsung logo but it played the bootup music this is definetely progress!

Last edited:

itzjonjon69

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
and voila! after that i flashed the stock VZW kernel from the odin files my phone is fully operational now.. this is seriously amazing, thank you so much brandon you are my new hero

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
and voila! after that i flashed the stock VZW kernel from the odin files my phone is fully operational now.. this is seriously amazing, thank you so much brandon you are my new hero

No problem bud, glad you got it up and running! Quite the strange solution, huh? No idea why that worked, but glad someone else could confirm it did work for them as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund