1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Default My buddy hosed his phone, i wont give up!

So my buddy possibly hosed his phone, and he called for a replacement, which will be here in probably the next 15 hours. But i think it can be saved. I need a little help. Everyone in this forum has assisted and saved me. I want to do the same for him.

Here is what happened...

He had the voodoo lagfix on his phone, and had CWM installed. He was having issues with his phone, so he tried a full reset through ODIN to go back to stock and start over. The problem was that he did not disable the lag fix on the phone, so when he powered back up he had no root access, or space on his internal memory. he startied master resetting and clearing cache, then his phone kept starting over at the english/spanish screen. Once he signs in and restarts the phone it starts him over again. probably due to no memory in the phone.

So here is where i am lost. I put the update.zip back on his phone after reflashing the CWMrecovery.tar file. I was able to get the phone to put voodoo back on, it loads pretty quick after the womans voice goes through. not like mine did which took about 10 minutes or so. When i try and do the disable_lagfix it says its changing back, but only goes for about a minute then he is back in the loop of the english/spanish again, and there is no memory. I cant get the phone to re root and i tried doing it through adb and got slightly lost. Is there anything I can do? If not, I would like to get it so her voice does not come back on so he doesnt have VZW charging him (if they even really do that)

So any takers? Sorry for the long post, but didnt want to leave out anything. he reactivated his blackberry so I have the phone for the night.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

i found this before, but i get stuck after i get the files on the memory card. I jump in to adb shell, then i use the cat /sdcard/original.mbr > /dev/block/mmcblk0 command, it allows it, then i run the stock.zip. then when i try to do the next step it (mkdir /dbdata) it says mkdir failed for /dbdata file exists.

I am stuck here. I will check the comments in the morning. I need some sleep. thanks for the guidance as well, this forum and the members are amazing, and thanks for the quick response!

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

do you have superuser access through adb?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Quote Originally Posted by NOsquid View Post
    At the bottom of the first post of that thread is an uninstaller.zip, download that and place it on the sd card, boot into recovery, then into clockwork, and install zip from sdcard. That should remove voodoo, then you can restore from there

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    At the bottom of the first post of that thread is an uninstaller.zip, download that and place it on the sd card, boot into recovery, then into clockwork, and install zip from sdcard. That should remove voodoo, then you can restore from there
    I had the same problem as you OP,and this worked. either push the file onto the SD card or drag it on with a card reader, boot into recovery/clockwork, run the update and it will totally rid you of voodoo. Good luck!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I saw that file but assumed I needed su access, which he lost. Well, you know what they say about assuming right? :o

I followed the directions to a T and that worked perfectly. It booted back with all the memory, no root, and is ready to be used or sent back, which ever he decides. Thanks again for all the help!!!! I knew someone would figure this out!

deeter,

No disrespect to you or your buddy but please tell him that if he is going to change the "locked" settings on his phone then he should be prepared to take responsibility if he screws it up and not find some BS reason to get a replacement. It's truly no wonder why VZW wants these things locked tighter than a nun's *****.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bilbotn View Post
    deeter,

No disrespect to you or your buddy but please tell him that if he is going to change the "locked" settings on his phone then he should be prepared to take responsibility if he screws it up and not find some BS reason to get a replacement. It's truly no wonder why VZW wants these things locked tighter than a nun's *****.
    I understand where you are coming from, and I dont want to start a 50 post thread on why we should/shouldn't replace phones you yourself have screwed up. That is kind of the reason I wanted to save the phone. I do see your side, but he is no different from some of the moderators/rom makers/and testers. I am not saying its right, I do see your side. But for those who give us the wonderful hacks, root access, and kernals, if they didn't do those types of things maybe the development would be where it is, because they wouldn't have a phone to use. If a dev bricks his phone and realizes that mistake will save 5,000 other people from doing the same thing, i think him getting a warranty replacement is more of good thing, that way 5,000 others arent doing that and calling for replacements. Yes it is a risk you take, but these phones go right back to samsung and they reflash and do their thing, so no one else has a bricked phone. Again, i am in no way saying its right, but its definetely not always a terrible thing...i am sure a few warranty replacements helped us all get to where we are today....

on a side note, he is keeping this device and just refusing shipment on the other one. he will be by in about an hour....he hates his blackberry.....

This totally worked for me, too. Had the exact same issue (wish I would have read this thread yesterday lol) and got Voodoo gone and kept my phone rooted to boot! Woot!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat View Post
    This totally worked for me, too. Had the exact same issue (wish I would have read this thread yesterday lol) and got Voodoo gone and kept my phone rooted to boot! Woot!

glad to hear this worked for you as well. I never did the lagfix on my phone. i saw how his was and mine was, not a huge difference for me, but something to watch. I am awaiting some new roms which will be my next big step. until then its just root access with wifi tether and cmw, and the NHL live app.....i am content