will VZW know???

courgarrx

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has agreed to swap out my old fascinate with a new phone due to "software issues". I recently rooted the phone, installed lag fix and wifi tethering. I then successfully uninstalled the lag fix, and reverted to stock using the odin procedure on the xda developers site. The phone starts up and is in full working condition except it cannot OTA update to the new firmware.

Will they know that I "tampered" with it when they receive the old phone? I really don't want to be charged "full retail price"!!

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I will say it, to live with integrity or not? That is the question, we all pay more for those that don't.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I will say it, to live with integrity or not? That is the question, we all pay more for those that don't.

Wow, nice. I will say "it" too... "byte-level flashing is a RIGHT, not a LUXURY". If they had the decency to provide us with the out-of-the-box programming for the phone to perform recoveries, they would have a LOT fewer issues AND they wouldn't have this ridiculous policy against rooting the phones. Consider the Blackberry, you can load whatever you want whenever you want and while Verizon/RIM sure won't support it if you try to load a hacked version of OS6 binaries onto a Storm 1, they will provide you with a very simple way to restore the phone to the original, approved programming.

The ball is in Verizon's court. Personally I don't return a phone unless it's dead as a doornail (for privacy and other reasons). Getting it to that point (without physically assaulting it and voiding the warranty) only requires a little ingenuity.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As long as you know everything was the way it looked when it was stock, you should be fine. I too had to take my phone in recently and made sure before hand to be unrooted on a fresh install so they couldn't try to pin any of my problems on me. Took the tech an hour of playing with the phone to fix the problem, but not once did he have any indication that I was in the back door. Then I just came back home, put CW back on and restored to a point I made right before taking it in. It was like it never happened and my problems were solved.

I also don't like the idea of some random Verizon tech getting his hands on my info. Thus, another reason to wipe everything before taking it in. During my last experience there, the guy helping me even had the nerve to hand me a notepad and asked me to write my google account username and password on it. No thanks, I'm perfectly capable of entering that information on my own once you've fixed my problem.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think they ever bother to look. Chances are they hook it up to a machine, reflash it, test and then put it in the refurb bin. I think they have better things to do than figure out what's been done to the phone.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow, nice. I will say "it" too... "byte-level flashing is a RIGHT, not a LUXURY". If they had the decency to provide us with the out-of-the-box programming for the phone to perform recoveries, they would have a LOT fewer issues AND they wouldn't have this ridiculous policy against rooting the phones. Consider the Blackberry, you can load whatever you want whenever you want and while Verizon/RIM sure won't support it if you try to load a hacked version of OS6 binaries onto a Storm 1, they will provide you with a very simple way to restore the phone to the original, approved programming.

The ball is in Verizon's court. Personally I don't return a phone unless it's dead as a doornail (for privacy and other reasons). Getting it to that point (without physically assaulting it and voiding the warranty) only requires a little ingenuity.

It's all good, lol! I care less. But when someone roots, tweaks the chip, then messes up and cries will verizon know? Guilt is in the title. I hope I never end up with a reverb from someone who has reduced the life of the processer by over clocking it, then lying about it. Will verizon know? Probably not, but I am not dropping my standards to make you feel better about it. It's wrong, bottom line.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
It's all good, lol! I care less. But when someone roots, tweaks the chip, then messes up and cries will verizon know? Guilt is in the title. I hope I never end up with a reverb from someone who has reduced the life of the processer by over clocking it, then lying about it. Will verizon know? Probably not, but I am not dropping my standards to make you feel better about it. It's wrong, bottom line.

There is a huge difference between rooting and rooting then overclocking to the point where the cpu overheats and breaks down. I wont try to defend that.

Is that even possible with these chips? Thermal safeguards in the die are standard practice these days, but I guess anything is possible.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I've been told a few times that VERY rarely, if ever do they sit down and dig deep into the phone once it's in their hands. More than likely as Cory said, once they get it the first thing they do is a hard reset and flash the device back to complete 100% stock software condition.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
There is a huge difference between rooting and rooting then overclocking to the point where the cpu overheats and breaks down. I wont try to defend that.

Is that even possible with these chips? Thermal safeguards in the die are standard practice these days, but I guess anything is possible.

Fair enough, and I think the hardware on the fascinate is phenomenal, able to handle a little over clock. I used to over clock my droid by almost double what it was rated for. If I wasn't careful, the chip would get hot. It is over half a year old and my girlfriend is still getting great use out of it. Most phones go back to the manufacture in a "as is" (after wiping if possible) state for testing if reloading the os for the customer doesn't work, so the chances of verizon knowing is null like you say, null.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463