Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Default DJ05 GPS Fix for DI01 Users

Found this over at the XDA forums before and didn't think anything of it, and then this morning I decided I wanted to give a try to see if it actually works.

Well, it does!

1. Download the GPS.zip from the , and then move it to the root of your SD card.
    2. Boot into CWM and choose "install zip from sdcard"
    3. Select "choose zip from sdcard" then scroll down to select the zip, install
    4. Reboot
    5. Using Root Explorer (or whatever you prefer) navigate to .apk on your SD card (should be /sdcard/gps.zip/system/app/gpssetup.apk) and move the .apk to your /system/app folder to overwrite the older version
    6. Boot back into CWM to fix permissions (advanced/fix permissions) and once that finishes, reboot and try out your new GPS!

Reading over the thread, results seemed mixed, but the majority of people who tried it out had great results. As it is right now I am getting an instant lock on 9 of 11 sats, but I'm going to turn off GPS and try again in the morning to confirm on a cold start.

Hope this helps others like it did me!
    (Thanks to adrynalyne and all others who made this and other developments possible!)
    Thanked by 4:

ROM
    Comm Rom 1.2

Yeah I did this about a week or so ago, unfortunately I was one of the ones that it improved the lock time but still wasn't instant like some were getting.
    Moto Razr -> LG Glimmer -> Samsung Fascinate!

If you aren't Voodoo you are doo doo!

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

I'll take it! I've been trying all day to get DJ05 OTA and now I could care less. Time to first fix: on cold start, with wifi off, after a reboot, inside, while it's raining, 14.491 seconds! With wifi on, 4.462 seconds! Finally, no more 5-10 minute wait, especially when trying to show off how "great" your phone is to somebody.

nice.. just installed this and managed to get a lock within 20 seconds while indoors..

Thank you.

Always just flashed it with CWM, but going to try and moving the APK into the system/apps folder and see if that makes a difference.

If you guys are looking for an alternative to Root Explorer - get ES File explorer and give it root permission. Doesn't matter which ROM/MOD you choose from the list, just pick one and give it Super User permission and make sure you show hidden files and it should work as a Root Explorer ... for free!

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

I thought the step of actually copying the file over seemed redundant after installing it via CWM but it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    Found this over at the XDA forums before and didn't think anything of it, and then this morning I decided I wanted to give a try to see if it actually works.
    Awesomeness! I am traveling this week and will be able to give this a pretty good test.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob2000 View Post
    Awesomeness! I am traveling this week and will be able to give this a pretty good test.
    I think you'll be pleased!

I've seen this on the xda forums but have been afraid to try it, since my gps already seems to be pretty decent, at least in google maps. but I think I'll give it a shot!

if something should go wrong, a backup via cwm should put the DI01 radio back right?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Correct. Although, you shouldn't need to do that... This is a pretty harmless mod

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

I have JT's Superclean and also his Non voodoo Kernel. Would this work for me?
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Absolutely!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

Sweet... I'll have to figure out how to do this... because my GPS absolutely sucks.
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4

Sweet! After finishing this, I got a lock in less than 30 seconds with WiFi off.
    I'll try it again when I'm out and about to see how it does.

I just did a quick outdoor test, and the AGPS position was very very fast but the GPS lock still only came after I fired up GPS-test... I will have to play with it some more to see if there is genuine improvement.

Anyone else notice a lot of apps hanging around in the process list after installing this? I don't know if it was just due to the reboots or what, but I have "set-up wizard", "google partner setup", "factory test", "com.samsung.brightness" and a bunch of other stuff in my running tasks list that I swear didn't hang around after previous reboots... Oh, and my battery has been dropping REAL fast...

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

Nothing out of the ordinary on mine. Same running apps as always and no noticeable effect on battery life in the past 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by killahamsammich View Post
    Nothing out of the ordinary on mine. Same running apps as always and no noticeable effect on battery life in the past 12 hours.
    My phone went from 50% to 30% in the 2 hours since rebooting with this change. Something bad happened...

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10/Devil

Agreed. Do you have a CWM recovery point from before you did this change? I'd try flashing back to that and reinstalling it.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

No battery change for me since I installed yesterday...

Any good file manager app recommendation. I would Root Explorer but my card won't let me cause it's British. I tried a bunch already but they either don't let me copy and paste files or they won't let me write in the systems app folder.

ROM
    JT Super Clean

Maybe a little quicker but not what some have posted. Took about three minutes to lock on.

ROM
    JT Super Clean

I just tested again but I switched from the SF geeknik dj05 to the dl01 and it starts instantly. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by killahamsammich View Post
    Agreed. Do you have a CWM recovery point from before you did this change? I'd try flashing back to that and reinstalling it.
    It's a few weeks old so I am not going to roll back unless I need to... I killed off all those "setup" processes and the battery usage is back to normal. I haven't rebooted to see if they all spawn again but for now things are fine. If there is one thing that *constantly* annoys me about android it's that of both the built in task monitors, neither shows me everything that's going on, and most of the time it's hiding **** that I don't want running.

just installed this fix, but the gps can't seem to lock anymore. might have made it worse, but I am inside the office right now... before the fix I generally could get a lock decently quick within a min maybe.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast