Rooted - Can't edit files

busen19

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted my phone via the Sterling Cobb video for Mac using the sudo commands. Everything worked, Superuser.apk was instaled and works. I've installed and used the tethering app so I guess that confirms that I am rooted. I am trying to remove bloat ware by just renaming some files to .apk.old. It is telling my I don't have permission to do that. How do I get around that. I used a number of different file managers, nothing is working....

Thanks, Travis

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
what are you using to rename the files? make sure you use something like root explorer or super manager which can get root functions in order to rename those files. I know in Super Manager you have to enable the root function option before you could rename certain files.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
If you're using Root Explorer, there's a button at the top to remount the file system Read/Write. Make sure you've clicked that, otherwise the file system still only has read access, even after rooting.

busen19

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
what are you using to rename the files? make sure you use something like root explorer or super manager which can get root functions in order to rename those files. I know in Super Manager you have to enable the root function option before you could rename certain files.

Thank you for the reply. I downloaded super manager, enabled root functions, and I was able rename all the crapware .apk's to .apk.old. All is good now. Thanks again.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As an alternative to renaming everything I recommended creating a folder on your SD card and moving the apk files you don't want there. This way, if you have to return them, its a simple copy/paste move instead of hunting down and renaming everything individually.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

FloorMatt

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
In super manager select the box next to what you want to move (can move all the files at once by multi-selecting)...then use the copy button at the bottom> go to destination folder> hit the paste button> verify the move> delete the crap in app

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
again with super manager make sure that you have root function enabled otherwise it won't let you move certain system files.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon